ADVERTISEMENT

Will have more on this tomorrow but Andrew Copp

really didn't see this one coming. Team captain, good player but not all star caliber, not sure why the rush for him to leave early. Still has alot to accomplish at this level IMO

That would come as a surprise to me. Didn't seem like he had a year that any pro team would be asking him to come out early for. Good, but not great.

We'll see (again, and again).

And people wonder why Red has such a tough time.

Winnipeg is really pushing for it. They think they could lose him to another NHL team if he comes back for a fourth year and doesn't sign by August of 2016. Seems like that's going to happen to the Panthers with Hyman.

I don't have a good feel on Copp. Depends if he wants to play for the Jets or not. If so, he'll sign. If he doesn't care and is willing to bet on himself, he'll return.

Originally posted by alfadriver:
That would come as a surprise to me. Didn't seem like he had a year that any pro team would be asking him to come out early for. Good, but not great.

We'll see (again, and again).

And people wonder why Red has such a tough time.

Originally posted by MichaelSpath:
is 50-50 to return. Dylan Larkin is probably 60-40. Zach Werenski is about 90-10.
Ok I can do math a little, so a not very good chance all of them come back? Man I hope they all come back, a good grad transfer goalie comes in, and we give Red one heck of a last year.

This post was edited on 3/24 10:27 PM by Divided42

Count me too as one quite surprised that Copp would be our greatest flight risk.

Didin't Mike Van Ryn, may years ago now, leave early so he could go to Juniors for a year and escape the team that had drafted him? Maybe the rules have changed since 1999. In any event, I would think that a player like Copp, being only 17 months away from when Winnipeg's draft rights expire, would want to consider the option of being a free agent and able to consider signing with other teams, whether based on team location, money, or the opportunities for him on various teams (i.e. depth charts and players in the system).

I think there is a "Van Ryn" rule now in place preventing the CHL from accepting US college players at 19 or 20 who are coming from college.
This post was edited on 3/25 1:08 AM by alnike

Winnipeg is really pushing for it. They think they could lose him to another NHL team if he comes back for a fourth year and doesn't sign by August of 2016. Seems like that's going to happen to the Panthers with Hyman.

I don't have a good feel on Copp. Depends if he wants to play for the Jets or not. If so, he'll sign. If he doesn't care and is willing to bet on himself, he'll return.
Rather loaded question- how much do you think it matters that Copp's really good friend, Jacob Truba, plays for the Jets?

We sit in front of his granparents, and both of them tell us how close the two are.

On the flip side, I wonder what kind of information Turba would tell him- as in the direction of the team and all.

Which would be more, the positive or the negative?

And then the question nobody wants to think about, IF Copp goes, do more go as well, just because of that?

To answer the end of that - I don't think Copp's decision will have any impact on anyone else on the roster.

As for Trouba, they're close, but it's not as if Copp will sign and be playing with Jacob next year or even in two years. Kid will probably spend at least two seasons in the minors, if he makes the NHL at all. Would think he'd want to finish his career at Michigan first, but I guess we'll see.

Originally posted by alfadriver:

Rather loaded question- how much do you think it matters that Copp's really good friend, Jacob Truba, plays for the Jets?

We sit in front of his granparents, and both of them tell us how close the two are.

On the flip side, I wonder what kind of information Turba would tell him- as in the direction of the team and all.

Which would be more, the positive or the negative?

And then the question nobody wants to think about, IF Copp goes, do more go as well, just because of that?

Why a guy like Copp wants to play in Winnipeg is beyond me? The pressure is clearly on the Jets to get him now, as I wouldn't be leaving Michigan as the captain to go there. A NHL 6 team, I could understand but Winnipeg....no way. Copp will have other suitors for sure given his two-way ability. He should have the confidence to come back and risk it...and lead Michigan back to the NCAA in Red's last season especially after he went on record saying we would be a different team under his leadership in an interview on mgoblue.com going into this season. That didn't happen, and to leave now for Winnipeg would be disappointing to say the least.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT