ADVERTISEMENT

when I called them Notre Dumb, I wasn't kidding. All players at risk

ArrowheadBlue

Heisman
May 29, 2001
which kind of shoots down the Dumbers as being academically inclined.

i
Play2:59
Kelly: Notre Dame players at-risk academically

Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune discusses Notre Dame football coach Brian Kelly's comments about his players being at-risk academically and what can be done to help the situation.

After a year of turmoil at Notre Dame, coach Brian Kelly admitted Thursday that all of his players are at-risk academically and that the university will do its best going forward to provide the resources necessary for players to succeed in the classroom.

"I think we recognized that all of my football players are at-risk -- all of them -- really," Kelly told Notre Dame Insider. "Honestly, I don't know that any of our players would get into the school by themselves right now with the academic standards the way they are. Maybe one or two of our players that are on scholarship.

KeiVarae Russell, DaVaris Daniels, Eilar Hardy, Kendall Moore and Ishaq Williams -- were suspended by the university last season amid an investigation into academic fraud. Quarterback Everett Golson, who has since transferred to Florida State, was suspended in 2013 because of what he deemed poor academic judgment.

According to Sports Illustrated, Kelly, university president John I. Jenkins and athletic director Jack Swarbrick met this offseason to discuss issues for student-athletes at Notre Dame.

"I think we've clearly identified that we need to do better," Kelly told Notre Dame Insider. "And we're not afraid to look at any shortcomings that we do have and fix them, and provide the resources necessary for our guys. Our university has looked at that, and we're prepared to make sure that happens for our guys."

It's called making an excuse for a lack of the type of success that the ND fans want.

It's called reality when you run an elite academic institution and expect your players to up-hold similar expectations - if not higher. Such as requiring student athletes to be on course to graduate in three and half years, setting a limit of at least 15 credit hours a semester, and no bullshit majors. Football success has not been as strong as we desire - but we are number one in graduation rate, number one in graduating African-American student athletes, and the only program ever to play for a national championship and be number one in those categories.

That's impressive.

Because of those standards and the rigors of being a student-athlete it should be of no surprise the high risks. No football program expects more from their players on and off the field than Notre Dame. But with those pressures and expectations - they play for a school that gets more coverage and prime-time games than any other program. Oh, and a top-degree...

In other words - it is not a bad thing to say what Kelly did - it just means there are high-expectations to meet. If you do not meet those expectations, no matter who you are, you will be held accountable.

It's called reality when you run an elite academic institution and expect your players to up-hold similar expectations - if not higher. Such as requiring student athletes to be on course to graduate in three and half years, setting a limit of at least 15 credit hours a semester, and no bullshit majors. Football success has not been as strong as we desire - but we are number one in graduation rate, number one in graduating African-American student athletes, and the only program ever to play for a national championship and be number one in those categories.

That's impressive.

Because of those standards and the rigors of being a student-athlete it should be of no surprise the high risks. No football program expects more from their players on and off the field than Notre Dame. But with those pressures and expectations - they play for a school that gets more coverage and prime-time games than any other program. Oh, and a top-degree...

In other words - it is not a bad thing to say what Kelly did - it just means there are high-expectations to meet. If you do not meet those expectations, no matter who you are, you will be held accountable.

Lou Holtz couldn't have spit it out any better.

Let's look at another situation -- JH at Stanford. His first recruiting year only TWO of the top 200 kids could even qualify for Stanford admission. I'm not sure of the grad rate but a Stanford degree is among the top 3-5 in the nation pretty much across the board. btrw, didn't Stanford whip Notre Dumb like a tied up goat? To say that football players can't major in tough subjects overlooks Luck's degree. And, if memory serves, JH never killed a Stanford kid or asked another player to "cover up" a sexual exploit only to become a dog killer.

DUMB!

pot+calls+kettle+black.png

Something Jim Harbaugh did say ...

“Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there, but the athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in and, when they’re in, they steer them to courses in sports communications. They’re adulated when they’re playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won’t hire them.”

Something Jim Harbaugh did do ...

Jim Harbaugh was arrested early in the morning of October 30, 2005 on a charge of drunken driving after being stopped for running a stop sign. He was released after 7 1/2 hours at a detention facility in Encinitas, CA. He pled guilty to reckless driving, and is sentenced to three years probation, a $1,300 fine and a drunken-driving educational program.

Something Jim Harbaugh did not do (but the Ann Arbor Police Department sure did) ...

Arrest Brendan Gibbons on November 22, 2009 following an investigation of a sexual assault reported to have occurred early that morning. By January 7, 2010, the department considers the case closed & will not pursue criminal charges. Fast forward to November 20, 2013, Brendan Gibbons is informed the University of Michigan has determined there is a “preponderance of evidence” to suggest he committed sexual misconduct. He is permanently separated from the university on December 19, 2013.

post-8794-1403702267.gif

^^^^Meh. Who cares what Michigan does? I mean, we are just another school that doesn't care about our student athletes, our conviction of education or purity of higher learning.

But Notre Dame on the other hand, is a beacon of higher learning and a paragon of virtue for all to see. So this is very troubling indeed. You fine domer posters extol the virtue of of black athlete graduation rates and how you do things the right way to anyone who will listen.

I get instead of answering the post, you decide to play the "what about you guys?" card - complete with visuals. Not a surprising reaction from you

Basically you have nothing. And it took you a week to come up with nothing.

You're a funny little goof, but not one anyone takes seriously.

ADVERTISEMENT