ADVERTISEMENT

Well....

MSUStudent

Michigan Man
Sep 12, 2002
Thought the better team won tonight. Or maybe put a better way, the team that made fewer mistakes won tonight.

Looks like you'll win at least a share of the title tomorrow night, and clinch the #1 seed. I just don't see us winning at Yost. Didn't before the weekend started, and I didn't see anything tonight that would make me believe we'd steal a win there.

Only 2 penalties called all night - interesting. You don't see that too often in MSU-UM games.

"the team that made the fewer mistakes won" -- an observation that can be made about most games . . . .

Originally posted by MSUStudent:

Only 2 penalties called all night - interesting. You don't see that too often in MSU-UM games.
I didn't see the game, but that stuns me. Not just because the MSU-UM game thing, but because of the last two weekends and how the B1G refs seemed to want the game to be played. They seemed to want a lot of that "old time hockey" crap. Good to hear that it didn't happen in this game.

Let me add this in response to MSU Student

We gave up 2 of the worst, God-awful-est goals in memory. We may have made fewer mistakes, but our mistakes earned more mistake-style points. :)

However, let me clear: a really good overall performance by our guys - getting the 2-0 first period lead on the road was huge, and even though we blew it twice, we didn't let those 2 awful goals deflate us (imagine if our other goalie had given up that 2d MSU goal), and we stood up the last part of the game.

Too much on the line for both teams to have the normal pushing and shoving after whistles that lead to penalties.

Originally posted by MSUStudent:
Thought the better team won tonight. Or maybe put a better way, the team that made fewer mistakes won tonight.

Looks like you'll win at least a share of the title tomorrow night, and clinch the #1 seed. I just don't see us winning at Yost. Didn't before the weekend started, and I didn't see anything tonight that would make me believe we'd steal a win there.

Watched the highlights last night- it was a good game.

State hung in there, and took advantage of our mistakes. But out guys didn't roll their eyes for the goals- and they easily could have for any one of them. Instead, they kept in the game, and won it.

My favorite goal of the night was one of the more boring ones- Cutler Martin's breakaway. He made such a casual looking shot- not making any obvious move- which seemed to befuddle Hildebrant. Just a good shot into a hole. Considering how we've looked on other break away's, well...

Re: Let me add this in response to MSU Student

Originally posted by Capt28:

We gave up 2 of the worst, God-awful-est goals in memory. We may have made fewer mistakes, but our mistakes earned more mistake-style points. :)

However, let me clear: a really good overall performance by our guys - getting the 2-0 first period lead on the road was huge, and even though we blew it twice, we didn't let those 2 awful goals deflate us (imagine if our other goalie had given up that 2d MSU goal), and we stood up the last part of the game.
I thought your goalie outplayed Hildebrand all night - outside of that 2nd goal goof. And honestly, I put as much credit on Keller for making that play than I put blame on your goalie. It was a great effort on his part.

The 3rd goal - if your d-man doesn't hit the puck at all or only hits it once, it gets stopped. But he hit it again to try to sweep it away and tipped it in. After that went in I said, ok the puck luck can't get much better than that.

Hildebrand looked shaky, nervous, and he was fighting the puck all night long. Even in past Michigan games I didn't see him lose rebounds like that.

Your goalie made great saves (had some issues with rebounds as well) and at key times - the one right at the end of the first was huge. That could have changed the entire game going into the locker room tied at 2 instead of only down 1 - in a period Michigan absolutely dominated.

Michigan dominated the game last night. Flat out dominated the game. I'm expecting more of the same tonight.

Hah! Accordingly to Martin quoted in Spath's article:

"I practiced that move." LOL. Did any of you see a move? I guess Hildebrandt was waiting for a move.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT