ADVERTISEMENT

Well we certainly came out prepared to make a statement today

Capt28

All-League
Jan 23, 2008
. . . he observes at 17:30 of the first period. Just need to figure out what the statement is that we are trying to make . . . .

15 minutes into the second period and this is an absolutely brutal performance.

Now we score 2 goals 24 seconds apart in the last 45 seconds if the third period, so amazingly, we may still have a chance . . . .(5-3)

We tie the game at 15:07 of the third. From the ridiculous to the sublime.

Headed to OT. Kile took a charging penalty at 18:13 of the third, so we start OT on the PK for the first 13 seconds.

AAAAAND we lose in OT again. So we again proved to be beyond redemption - our hockey sins in the first 35 minutes of the game kept us from being saved by our good work in the last 21 minutes.

This team provides us another kick in the nuts for the second consecutive week. In its last 16 overtime games, Michigan has 1 win, 7 losses and 8 ties.

"Create the Difference"! and plummet down the PWR.

I will go to Yost next Saturday being that its Red's likely last game at home, but the wind was taken out of my sails in the OT loss at Minnesota. Now its like, hopefully they check a box and make the NCAA Tournament for old time sakes.

Three straight years of this stuff, program rarely wins the critical games any more.

Something has happened in the locker.

No way this gets that bad that fast if not for some significant thing happening in the locker.

They went from steadily improving on the D with still a pretty dominant offence to a weekend getting swept by OSU. And I don't ever remember being beaten for a season series with them. This is really bad.

Something has happened in the locker.

No way this gets that bad that fast if not for some significant thing happening in the locker.

They went from steadily improving on the D with still a pretty dominant offence to a weekend getting swept by OSU. And I don't ever remember being beaten for a season series with them. This is really bad.
Yeah, when you give up 24 goals in four games to Ohio State, you know something is bad

Just looked at OSU's schedule and they're an interesting team to say the least, in addition to the two wins vs UM, they have wins over BC and Cornell (8-1!). They have lost to Minn four times, all one goal games and three in OT, so they seem on the verge of being a good team but consistency is not there.

They most likely will play Minn in the semis and I could see OSU beating them and knocking them out of the NCAAs. Minn needs to win the big-10 tourney to get in, they're 17 now in the PWR and won't gain anything even if they sweep Wisconsin. Looks like you have to be 14 or higher to get an at-large. UM is at 8.

Just looked at OSU's schedule and they're an interesting team to say the least, in addition to the two wins vs UM, they have wins over BC and Cornell (8-1!). They have lost to Minn four times, all one goal games and three in OT, so they seem on the verge of being a good team but consistency is not there.

They most likely will play Minn in the semis and I could see OSU beating them and knocking them out of the NCAAs. Minn needs to win the big-10 tourney to get in, they're 17 now in the PWR and won't gain anything even if they sweep Wisconsin. Looks like you have to be 14 or higher to get an at-large. UM is at 8.

You're assuming they beat MSU in the first round..... Which isn't a bad assumption, but they are 1-1 against each other this year, and they play each other this weekend in East Lansing. We already know it's a first round match-up. Could be interesting to watch, as I think we match up better with OSU than PSU right now, so I'll take the match-up.

Now we'll probably lose 8-1.

Interesting play by Racine to be ultra aggressive on the OT goal and depart the crease (low lights on mgoblue). Brutal way to lose.

Back to the "what retirement talk?" topic on the thread from Friday night's game. I made the original reference as a "joke" about Red's likely exasperation over what he was seeing. I doubt "Red's retiring" or "who's our next coach?" had anything to do with this weekend's desultory performance. More likely causes are:

1. After losing the 2d game to Minny, the boys figured winning the B1G title was out of reach and we are going to finish 2d no matter what, hence a letdown.
2. As Red alluded, guys are less focused during "spring break week" than they are during a regular week when they have a full slate of activities to focus on.
3. Hate to say it but - maybe some of the boys are starting to get distracted thinking about the pro contracts they will have the opportunity to sign in about 3-4 weeks.

BTW although the results were worse (a loss and an OT worse vs. a win and a tie/Shootout loss) the quality of our play this past weekend vs OSU was not noticeably (to me) different from the quality of our play in the first OSU series.

Last edited:
I'm confused why you would not think that your third point would not have a major influence if Red retires. I'm sure a few more would decide to go pro if Red leaves. Also, coaching status has a lot to do, mentally, with the team. It's happened in the past with other teams, to say that it has no impact here ignores that.

Still, all of your reasons are terrible, mentally, for this team.

You comment is valid, I agree - at least, some one who is on the fence about turning pro could be pushed over the fence by "gee, I don't want to spend one more year here getting used to a new unknown coach." I was thinking about the more basic "gee, I could be playing in the NHL in 4 weeks and getting paid for it to boot."

Seems like your thinking could very easily be happening with the fence holders right now.

If Red goes, Compher could easily see if he could play in the pros next month. Or some of the freshmen who we never thought was a flight risk at this point.

Seems like your thinking could very easily be happening with the fence holders right now.

If Red goes, Compher could easily see if he could play in the pros next month. Or some of the freshmen who we never thought was a flight risk at this point.

Which Freshman besides Connor are even close to being ready for the pro's????

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT