ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner to UM**

Great pickup for Michigan. Wagner is young, still only 17 years old, and needs to develop physically, particularly from a strength standpoint, but he has the height and skill level to eventually be an impact player. I don't think he will be an impact player next year but I expect he will be a big time player for us down the road. Nice pickup by Beilein.

since internet posters are obligated to only compare prospects with players of the same skin color and handedness, I'll throw out Kyle Singler as the upside for Wagner. He's likely a bit more raw than Singler was entering Duke when he scored 13 PPG as a freshman, but I think the ultimate upside is very similar. By his junior year, Wagner could develop into a kid that can score 16-17 PPG and grab 6 or 8 rebounds while shooting 40% on 3s.

If LeVERT comes back...this team has talent coming out of the

wazoo. Dang. Lots of shooters with just enough athleticism (Dawkins/LeVERT)...and I would throw in Walton/Irvin as athletic too.

From what I see...it sure looks like Wagner may fit the #4 bill as a role player more than Chatman...but who knows. Somebody should redshirt?...like MAAR and Chatman? Too many guys and not enough minutes especially with Robinson added into the equation...assuming LeVERT comes back.

Reality Man

This post was edited on 4/6 1:23 AM by Reality Man

RM, these days it's less common to redshirt but I agree the roster is getting full of players that should be able to contribute. You know players like Levert, Walton and Irvin are going to get decent minutes so all the others will be competing for the remaining minutes so it will be challenging for players to get big time minutes. It probably makes sense to redshirt a player or two next year. I actually thought Wagner might be a candidate to redshirt with him being so young and needing to add strength and weight but I'm not sure that was part of the deal to get him to UM. Chatman probably should have redshirted this year even though he started playing better toward the very end of the season. Beilein is going to have his work cut out for him deciding who plays certain minutes. It's nice when you have a team that goes 10-11 quality players deep but it's also a challenge because some players won't get as many minutes as they would like.

The only thing this team is missing is a big time post player. That being said, I don't think we need an Okafor or Towns but a big guy that can bang down low and make it difficult for those type players to score. I think Doyle could be that player because he has a large frame but needs to get a little stronger to push elite bigs away from the basket.

I see the lineup like this.......

Starters
PG- D. Walton
SG- LeVert
SF- Irvin
PF- Dawkins
C- Doyle

2nd Team

PG- Spike,
SG- MAAR,
SF- Robinson
PF- Chatman, Wagner