ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner is legit...

Mroad

All-American
Feb 3, 2005
For a 6'10" player that recently turned 18 years old, Wagner has some serious skill. He has great hands and moves very well. Additionally, I really like the emotion and fire he displays while playing...something this team needs. I hope he stays at UM long term because he will be an absolute force down the road.

For a 6'10" player that recently turned 18 years old, Wagner has some serious skill. He has great hands and moves very well. Additionally, I really like the emotion and fire he displays while playing...something this team needs. I hope he stays at UM long term because he will be an absolute force down the road.
Is he a Center or power forward?

He is a center. There are going to be some head scratching moments this year with him but let's be completely honest here. JB is smart and gets it. JB has no other option at the #5. Donnal is a tweener and is a garbage time player.

Doyle is slow and he is a 2nd team guy on a poor mediocre BT team. JB has no other choice than to try and develop Wagner. Wagner has BT talent. He is a natural around the hoop and JB needs to get him 15-20 minutes a game over the next month because UM isn't going to win with Donnal or Doyle.

The guy I am least worried about right now is Wagner 60 days from now. I am more concerned about Irvin learning not to chuck shots and Dawkins being pushed around on the boards and being passive and Robinson as a defensive liability.

Starting to think Wagner is the most important guy on this team going forward for some kind of success. Heil Germany.

RM

Wagner definitely has more talent than any other big on our team and after tonight's performance I expect we will see a lot of him for the rest of the season. He's the tallest player on the team but also has great skill, knowledge of the game and provides energy on the court. As a young player he will continue to make mistakes but he is going to make this team better. I like Doyle's effort and strength but he is very limited athletically. Irvin and Dawkins really have to start playing better for this team to reach its potential.

Wagner definitely has more talent than any other big on our team and after tonight's performance I expect we will see a lot of him for the rest of the season. He's the tallest player on the team but also has great skill, knowledge of the game and provides energy on the court. As a young player he will continue to make mistakes but he is going to make this team better. I like Doyle's effort and strength but he is very limited athletically. Irvin and Dawkins really have to start playing better for this team to reach its potential.
Agree. We are separated at birth :).

Irvin needs to get back to jack of all trades and not shooting 3 pt'ers. Dawkins needs to give more on offense. Did you some of those inside the key shots. He is a beauty. Guy has NBA athleticism and a good head on his shoulders. Not saying he is as passive as GR3...but he can give more and he needs to be the Robin to LeVert.

He should be the 2nd scorer...not Walton in my opinion. Walton and Irvin should be 3rd/4th depending on who is playing well. That is how I see it. Dawkins needs to be the THJ for this team...he needs to score.

This game is misleading so I want to see how UM does against better competition. I don't see Wagner as some guy who is going to produce big numbers. If he does...then Dawkins can be a lesser role on offense but until that time...

RM

Guestavo.....No.

Robinson has to be in the rotation because JB needs offense. He isn't getting it against good teams with Doyle or Kam or Wilson (who by the way is a defensive liability at the #5). Robinson has to be in the rotation coming off the bench. This team doesn't have enough scoring without Robinson.

I hear you on Robinson...he is bad all over the place on defense. Too small...not quick. It's like playing 4 on 5 defense but they need his perimeter scoring since Chatman can't score and this system is about generating offense.

Did you see that statistic...anytime UM scores 80 or more...43-0 under JB. If Wilson develops then I think you can minimize Robinson somewhat. Out of those 3 guys you mention...one of them has to score or Irvin/Wagner are going to have to be on fire...and I don't see that happening regularly.

RM

JB doesn't need offense from his 8th man nor do I think he can shoot well against good teams.

Wagner/Doyle are our 5s. Wilson is #3 and not getting many minutes.

Kam is valuable because his rebounding creates extra offensive possessions and his passes get the shooters clean looks.

MAAR is my other candidate.

You have to remember that this is Robinson's 5th game at the D1 level. There is no question is a great shooter but he is still getting used to the quickness and size at this level. Beilein is going to stick with him because he is the best shooter on the team and just needs time to get comfortable. Kam still needs to learn to play more physical and aggressively which I believe is preventing him from playing serious minutes. MAAR is better than Kam and it was good to see him get used more in the past two games. As for Wagner, I really like his potential but realize he is the youngest player on the team and will need time and experience to be able to play against top level competition. That being said, he has big time ability and has the potential to be a big time player down the road.

You have to remember that this is Robinson's 5th game at the D1 level. There is no question is a great shooter but he is still getting used to the quickness and size at this level.

He is 22. Not buying this. He is a taller Vogrich and it will cost JB if he plays major minutes.

I completely disagree. It is a huge jump from D3 basketball to D1 and will take a month for him to get comfortable. We just saw big improvement from him in the last game. For this team to be successful we need Robinson contributing offensively. Furthermore, he is showing that he is a very good passer. His defense will improve. Robinson is going to be a key player on this team...mark my word.

UM has Kenpom 120 D...they will be on the bubble if it doesn't improve.

DR had a really good game offensively against a mediocre Texas and a bad game defensively. Will he be streaky or consistent is the question?

For this team to reach its potential it needs both Robinson and Wagner to be contributing at a high level. Since they are both new to D1 basketball I'm expecting them to make significant improvement as the season progresses. Wagner is really the only skilled big man we have so I sure as heck hope he continues to get better because we are going to need him. And Duncan has the potential to be one of the top three point shooter in the Big Ten and we are going need him to be that type of shooter for us to make the NCAA tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT