ADVERTISEMENT

This is one of the many differences between Hoke and Harbaugh.

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
Hoke will let you hang around. Harbaugh demands performance...i.e. Saban or ____________fill in the blank.

Let's use a hypothetical scenario.

I run a business named Star Ratings are for Suckers. I hire a couple of guys to sell this garbage to consumers since we want to get rich. We need to create the perception and comfort from our subscribers that stars do matter and that these team/player team rankings equate to confidence among fans to compete at a high level.

I hire two guys. One guy is a ferocious interviewer and believes in my business and that stars do correlate into championships. He works tirelessly and has increased our membership and he is paying for his salary within 2 years. He is our #1 sales guy and I have promoted him to V.P of Star Gazing. You can call him Chris.

The second guy isn't as enthusiastic. He doesn't necessarily not do his job but isn't as passionate. I think on some level he just doesn't get inspired by the work. He loves to take a long lunch and doesn't make as many calls to prospects. I have heard him joking that our business is just so subjective and he doesn't quite know how to differentiate between prospects that he feels are basically the same. Let's call him Reality Man.

Shouldn't I be able to fire/tell RM that I would like him to leave my employment? His attitude/work ethic isn't at the level of Chris. I know I signed a contract with RM a few years ago but his performance just isn't very good and I want to make more money for my business. I want my company to project passion about the business.

My favorite story about Chris is I was listening to one of his radio shows and you could tell how much he believed these stars were so important when talking about certain prospects. He believed it and I am looking for someone like this so we can all be successful.

Am I wrong in trying to motivate a poor employee like RM to leave?

The Stars mean absolutely nothing for coaches. They're for the fans and the media, which also caters to the fans.

But the Star ratings are based on many of the same criteria for which coaches use in their evaluations.

All good coaches, even those who recruit 4-5 Star guys, also recruit lower rated guys. But it makes me laugh when fans think that their coaches have some magical formula that allows them to recruitthe lower rated guys and beat out a class of 4-5 Stars. It makes me laugh even more when fans claim that they and the coaches of their favorite program would prefer these lower rated guys because their his type of guys or somehow more committed to the program.

MSU fans used to say that about Dantonio. But look who Dantonio is trying to recruit now. Look at what they're posting about this year's class.

Harbaugh is still getting back into college recruiting and rebuilding Michigan's football reputation among the young high school players. He is going after the big name Star players, but also filling in his class because he knows that he won't be able to fill a class this year with only 4-5 Star prospects. As he wins more and more he will bring in less 3 Star guys.

I'd be willing to bet that he never has this many 3 Star athletes in a class again.

I think we will all be surprised with the NA guys and their final ratings and the low stars will rise at least 1 if not 2 stars. As for the question with a bit of humor. Hoke pats his players on the arse , while Harbaugh ( a young Bo) kicks them in the arse! "74

how are you feeling '74?
Had my 1st 4 days at Temple this week. Long days. Main points Day 1 they took mucho tubes of blood 14 in all for testing. I took a bunch of breathing tests and my walk test. NA on results so far . Day 2 They found I have blockage in a large artery on the front of my heart and need a by pass. Said I'll find out next Thursday what the Cardio surgeon and Transplant doctor will do. see both that day (9th) Went to many other lectures from Sociologist, Nutritionist said my weight is OK in the 204-196 range so goo to go. Must stay there or go down to get surgery. More blood taken and tired from it all Go back next week Wed- Friday and then will post the findings. Thanks for asking and your prayers. Share it with all here if you wish. GBGB"74

Had my 1st 4 days at Temple this week. Long days. Main points Day 1 they took mucho tubes of blood 14 in all for testing. I took a bunch of breathing tests and my walk test. NA on results so far . Day 2 They found I have blockage in a large artery on the front of my heart and need a by pass. Said I'll find out next Thursday what the Cardio surgeon and Transplant doctor will do. see both that day (9th) Went to many other lectures from Sociologist, Nutritionist said my weight is OK in the 204-196 range so goo to go. Must stay there or go down to get surgery. More blood taken and tired from it all Go back next week Wed- Friday and then will post the findings. Thanks for asking and your prayers. Share it with all here if you wish. GBGB"74
Hang in there, 74. God bless.

Sad to hear you're not well, '74. Hang in there and get that thing fixed.

Thoughts and prayers go w you.

ADVERTISEMENT