ADVERTISEMENT

That loss was for Higdon

how much longer is Fran going to be at Iowa? Serious question. His team is about as loaded with depth and experience as you will ever get this season and yet they've still been up and down. If he can't get this team to the Sweet 16, do you start to wonder if he can ever do it? Is it now or never for him? Does he get another 2-3 seasons regardless?

He's an enigma to me. Nice guy off the court. Raging lunatic on the court. Not petty and whiny in press conferences like some other coaches can be.

On a side note, did Iowa fans find it a bit weird that Beilein called a timeout with 90 seconds left to put walkons and freshmen on the court and Fran played his starters to the buzzer in an 18 point game? Does he ever play his scrubs?

I think he is going get at least 3 or 4 more years regardless of how they finish this year. The issue with his team this year and last was a lack of mental toughness. Hoping that the two loses to Wisky were an anomaly and that the team has turned the corner. A sweet 16 this year would ease the small portion of the fan base that is giving him heat.

Yeah, I am not sure why he didn't put in scrubs. He should have.

Considering that McCaffrey's oldest son is a high school sophomore and plans to play hoops for the Hawks, I would imagine that Fran would be at Iowa for at least 6 more years.

I was going to post before game (busy)...that I expected Iowa to

win. UM is going to have to give a big effort in any game to knock off a quality team going forward. Iowa fits that description.

Re: McCaffrey...I don't think he is a high level coach. He comes across an unlikeable in every setting. He is wired tight. Even in non stressful settings he comes across as stiff and distant.

McCaffrey is sort of Bobby Knight but without the same level talent.

Don't get me wrong...McCaffrey will have a year here and there but too distant of a coach.

Reality Man

Originally posted by Hans81:
Considering that McCaffrey's oldest son is a high school sophomore and plans to play hoops for the Hawks, I would imagine that Fran would be at Iowa for at least 6 more years.
No, I'm asking when they fire him (if), not how long he would like to stay.

My point is it's his 5th year in IC. He has a deep and veteran team (that is also healthy). If they don't win an NCAA tourney game this year, don't you have to start to wonder if you are an Iowa fan? I mean basketball isn't football. Kids can make big contributions their first year or two on a team. It shouldn't take a decade to turn around a program in a major conference.

I'm just trying to figure out how long McCaffery gets from the Iowa faithful.

Lol at Fran coming off as distant. Have you ever listened to his radio show? He goes in depth with every answer. Fran isn't anywhere close to the hot seat. Did you start to wonder about Beilien after the Sims/Harris years and then the first round loss to Ohio in the tourney? Time will tell but no one is having that conversation in Iowa.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by yiana:
Fran isn't anywhere close to the hot seat. Did you start to wonder about Beilien after the Sims/Harris years and then the first round loss to Ohio in the tourney? Time will tell but no one is having that conversation in Iowa.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Well I don't know what Iowa fans have for hopes and dreams for their program. Maybe they are content being middle of the road. I don't know. Was I worried about Beilein? Of course not. He won an NCAA tourney game in year 2 at a program that hadn't even been to the dance in a decade. Then he won a Big Ten title in year 4 at a program that hadn't won one since the Reagan administration. By year 5 he was in the title game. But Beilein had a long history of success coaching prior to arriving at Michigan. That's why there was no worry at any point.

Fran is in year 5 and has yet to win an NCAA tourney game or finish above .500 in the conference.

So you can see where there is a distinct difference, no?

Re: I was going to post before game (busy)...that I expected Iowa to

Originally posted by Reality Man:
win. UM is going to have to give a big effort in any game to knock off a quality team going forward. Iowa fits that description.

Re: McCaffrey...I don't think he is a high level coach. He comes across an unlikeable in every setting. He is wired tight. Even in non stressful settings he comes across as stiff and distant.

McCaffrey is sort of Bobby Knight but without the same level talent.

Don't get me wrong...McCaffrey will have a year here and there but too distant of a coach.

Reality Man
Unlikeable in every setting? What setting have you seen hin in besides on the sideline?

I have met and talked to him several times at banquets. You are way off base. Very nice guy away from the court.

Originally posted by yiana:
Fran isn't anywhere close to the hot seat. Time will tell but no one is having that conversation in Iowa.
Been around the Iowa board recently?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT