ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Wrap Up-Going Into August

scfanblue

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
Good competitive game today and good for Coach Harbaugh's program playing a live game going into the summer and impending 2015 season.

#1- The Offense- Most glaring position of need of course is the QB position. Yes, Morris led the blue team to a 7-0 victory, however, his throws were over Dennis Norfleet down the field. Too me, he looks a little more poised in the pocket, however, he looked like the same old Morris to me. Malzone is way too young right now, but should be ready to compete after a good year of experience. The running game looked as bad as last year with one nice run by Smith. Hopefully, Ty Issac can stay healthy for the year because it looks like another year of switching between Green, Smith because none of them really pose a true run breakaway threat. I expected to offense to be way behind the defense in this game because it has been so bad the last two years. Rudock is obviously being brought in to run the Michigan offense in 2015. he may not be flashy or greatly mobile, however, he is efficient and experienced which is what this offense needs in a QB. Darboh, Chesson, Butts, looks like they will play a bunch as the receivers corp.

#2- The Defense-On both sides played very well and the 2015 defense will be very stout across the board. The biggest change for me was the amount of combination coverages ranging from zone to man coverage. For the first time in many years, the Michigan secondary did not sit in a soft zone and allow the QB to pick them apart underneath. They attacked and looked very good across the board and especially during 3rd down situations. The DL and LB corp looked stout as well. The defenses played much more disciplined and less risk taking than they did under Mattison. Mattison did a good job as DC, however, they gave up a ton of big plays and 3rd downs which killed Michigan because the offense looked like a high school offense. Team speed looked much better.

2015 Outlook- Rudock has got to come in and lead the offense and the running game must develop behind him. The passing game looks to be fine, however, it will take an experienced and poised QB to help develop a deep threat game to loosen up the defensive boxes of the opposing defenses.

If Michigan can beat Utah in game one then the Wolverines could post a 9 or 10 win season. Michigan will not lose to both MSU and OSU this year no matter how good the other teams will be. Harbaugh's Wolverines will beat one of them this year.

Here is how I see it...very simple...

team looked better. Sharper.

Bottom line. If the defense is very good...then why have an offense that turns the ball over? That is why Ruddock needs to win the job because if your defense can get the job done...then would you rather have a qb who throws 2 in'ts and a td or a qb who throws 0 int's and 0 td's?

Good question? I think this team (this year) needs a qb who can go on the road and manage the game...have a supporting run game and complete underneath stuff. Morris still scares me. If UM is down 10 pts with 8 minutes to go...then by all means bring in Morris.

To start the game...I want the qb who can move the chains and rely on field position/defense. That int by Malzone to mlb...that is a killer. Morris is just a guy who throws the long ball somewhat well. This team needs a game manager for this year.

That is how I see it. This defense needs 13-17 pts a game to win 85% of the time.

Reality Man

I arrived mid-2nd quarter (stuck apparently in hash-bash traffic)

but the one very positive from watching Morris in nearly three quarters is that he looked more competent and his throws were hitting hands almost every time. He actually looked like someone who could play and make some decisions and showed a fairly nice touch on some long passes that almost completed. That, to me, was most encouraging from the game.

Morris definitely looked better and you are correct..he did settle

down by the time you arrived. He does take 'risk' when he plays although he isn't calling the initial play. No disputing his arm strength and wish this guy was on the roster last year.

I still am not comfortable with him at qb for a few reasons.

1. Doesn't look great buying himself some time and throwing underneath. I think it is his mindset.
2. Looks like he can make a great pass (NFL level) and then throw a bad pass next. Not what is needed for this team.
3. Sort of plays like a better version of Mallet as a frosh at UM.

He clearly has 'potential' but with this defense and it's ability to run the ball and throw to the TE's...I'd rather have something a little more secure. I do like Morris as a guy who can continue to be developed and come off the bench when the team HAS to score and go down field.

Just my opinion.

Reality Man

I've got no disagreement on your present assessment

I'm just confident that he'll grow into a much more capable QB under Jim. Man is this thing going to be fun with so many prospects coming in and such a high quality mentor to shape the position. It reminds me of the mid-90s when UM had an embarrassment of QB riches. Imagine next year a confident gunner like Shane competing against a couple newbies with swagger like Alex and Gentry and throw in O'Korn into that mix. This should be a very fun position to watch in the very near future for UM.

I actually thought Morris looked pretty good today, particularly when you consider he had three dropped balls today that should have been catches. He is finally getting big time coaching which should pay dividends for him. I don't know if he beats out Rudock but I truly believe he will be very serviceable this coming season.

I actually thought Malzone looked OK for being an incoming freshman. The folks were a little crazy that thought he might start this coming season. The jump from high school ball to division I college ball is huge and its not a good sign if Michigan was starting a true freshman.

I think you guys have a better season than last year and start to see the dividends of having a good coach. .. but 9-10 seems a bit high to me. I think 7-9 seems more likely... with the losses being much more even then last season.

also, while I wouldn't be shocked to see you upset one of us States, I wouldn't bet money on it. Unless one of us completely tanks from expectations.

"If Michigan can beat Utah in game one then the Wolverines could post a 9 or 10 win season."[/I]

---------------------

Gotta give you props for optimism.

And - only time tells.

The only thing I'll add is that an insider on the other board says a Michigan coach told him directly that he can't believe just how bad a majority of the players are. That far too many should have never been offered and were way overrated.

Now - this is from one of the new coaches on staff.

The insider was the first to call Harbaugh to Michigan before ANYONE else did - so - he comes with credibility and is, normally, one of the most optimistic posters.

So - if the Wolverines do win nine games - Jim Harbaugh will be Coach of the Year and deserving of all of the hoopla.

That is funny. I think many of the DL guys are very good...

and that is where Hoke understood what he was doing.

I think the overrated comes from the offensive side of the ball. Just look at some of these guys on offense...Green would be lucky to be a 3 star. Darboh is o.k..but the rest of the wr's...2 stars. The OL too.

Here is what I think...this team will win 9 games ONLY because Rudock will give UM a steady hand at qb but the offense is going to have some challenges unless this OL continues to improve and Isaac is the real deal because these wr's......are 2 stars.

Reality Man

those "not so good" recruits certainly drew attention from other.

schools. So was UM the only team that could not evaluate players properly?

more interesting is that those crappy players came within 1 play, twice, of beating meyer's ohio team. wait until they get coached up.

Originally posted by Double Buck:
"If Michigan can beat Utah in game one then the Wolverines could post a 9 or 10 win season."[/I]

---------------------

Gotta give you props for optimism.

And - only time tells.

The only thing I'll add is that an insider on the other board says a Michigan coach told him directly that he can't believe just how bad a majority of the players are. That far too many should have never been offered and were way overrated.

Now - this is from one of the new coaches on staff.

The insider was the first to call Harbaugh to Michigan before ANYONE else did - so - he comes with credibility and is, normally, one of the most optimistic posters.

So - if the Wolverines do win nine games - Jim Harbaugh will be Coach of the Year and deserving of all of the hoopla.

As I long time high school coach, I can tell you that there is a level of truth about players going to the D1 level being way over rated so I am not surprised by your comment if there is truth to it. All programs get players who become a "bust" in terms of development just like a player who never develops into a great pro player. Regardless of the ability, football requires basic fundamentals and many of those are not properly taught these at the high school level. At Michigan's level, coaching proper fundamentals is crucial no matter what the talent is. This is where Brady Hoke failed as the head coach. His staff did not fundamentally develop the kids he recruited. Brady recruited some very talented players as a whole. I saw film on Kyle Kalis in high school and he was a man among boys who looked well coached in terms of footwork and hand placement. After seeing him at Michigan the last couple of years, I was wondering how the kid regressed so much. No doubt that Harbaugh and company have their work cut out for them on offense, however, they will be able to "do more with less" until they get the type of offensive players in they want. The good news is that the defense is way ahead of the offense in terms of development and talent. The secondary is now properly coached as witnessed yesterday. This alone gives Michigan a chance in every single game they will play this year. I still believe Harbaugh will post a 9-10 win season in his debut along with beating either MSU or OSU this fall.

Re: You seem obsessed with UM. Reading two UM related boards ?

Not surprised though. You're like most OUSO fans whom seem to care more about UM then your own team. Must suck to live in that shit hole of a state with nothing else to do. Happy Easter and remember these awful players came within a play or two of beating the Almighty Urban.

Re: Here is how I see it...very simple...

The team looked about the same
Where does "sharper" come from?

This is team that will win 9 games if we don't get Rudock. More if we do. We have depth and talent in the trenches for the first time in years.

The Spring game has NO influence on any prediction. It was a practice.
Originally posted by Reality Man:
team looked better. Sharper.

Bottom line. If the defense is very good...then why have an offense that turns the ball over? That is why Ruddock needs to win the job because if your defense can get the job done...then would you rather have a qb who throws 2 in'ts and a td or a qb who throws 0 int's and 0 td's?

Good question? I think this team (this year) needs a qb who can go on the road and manage the game...have a supporting run game and complete underneath stuff. Morris still scares me. If UM is down 10 pts with 8 minutes to go...then by all means bring in Morris.

To start the game...I want the qb who can move the chains and rely on field position/defense. That int by Malzone to mlb...that is a killer. Morris is just a guy who throws the long ball somewhat well. This team needs a game manager for this year.

That is how I see it. This defense needs 13-17 pts a game to win 85% of the time.

Reality Man
Posted from Rivals Mobile

What I saw at the 2015 Spring Game

I thought the receivers at times were put in bad passing situations, but when passes were hitting them in their hands, they would drop the ball. That is a major concern! Can't say it was nerves because they got a lot of playing time last year, and they keep saying they want to be that go to guy.

Shane Morris looks decent (picking on the shortest DB out there), but not great. He doesn't look like the guy who can bring them through adversity (winning the mental war). That toughness is not there and I think that's what Coach Harbaugh wants in his qbs. Morris changes that I think he could win that starting job. Ruddick may be coming in, but I don't look at him as the savior. They need another QB regardless

The running game, same old team! I love De'Veon Smith but he's slow, not going to break away from a corner. Green looked great, physically, and he's trying to run hard but he seems to never get started. Ty Isaac, nothing impressive (based on the spring game). There were a couple other runningbacks I saw run (didn't know their hames) nothing major.

The defense was pretty good, and they seem to have a sense of toughness about themselves.. They were trying to send a message to both offensive teams. I will say they looked like a football team

All in all, the Spring Game was something to do on Easter weekend. I look for a better product in Aug,

Re: You seem obsessed with UM. Reading two UM related boards ?

Originally posted by Draidan14:
Not surprised though. You're like most OUSO fans whom seem to care more about UM then your own team. Must suck to live in that shit hole of a state with nothing else to do. Happy Easter and remember these awful players came within a play or two of beating the Almighty Urban.
And too typical of some Michigan fans. Like me, Double Buck may just be a college/ Big 10 football fan who goes on other boards because he enjoys the discussions. Nothing he posted in unreasonable or intended as a flame and you return with insults and accusations. Chill out.

And as far as the, "We almost beat you guys so you aren't that good argument"... It's as relevant as VT actually beating OSU and PSU going into overtime last year, to determining if the Buckeyes could win the National Championship. Nada.

Originally posted by Draidan14:
This is a flat out stupid post. Way to represent. SMH
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Pure obsession

And it is quite hilarious!!

roll.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT