ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on Larkin leaving

MichaelSpath

Michigan Man
Aug 28, 2002
So with Larkin out, that's nine players picked in an NHL Draft that have left in the last five years: D Brandon Burlon, F Robbie Czarnik, F Chris Brown, D Jon Merrill, F Alex Guptill, F Phil Di Giuseppe, D Jacob Trouba, F Andrew Copp and now Larkin. Plus there have been a few other guys that left (though names are escaping me).

With the exception of Trouba and Larkin, I didn't think any of those guys were ready, though Guptill and PDG were locker-room problems and many were glad to see them go. Now, this trend is nothing new - Larkin is the 25th NHL player to leave before exhausting his eligibility since 1998 - but I agree with Brian Cook at MGoBlog when he writes that it is occurring far too consistently lately to just brush it off.

I'm a huge Red Berenson fan, obviously but something is going on. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but - and I hate to say this - the program needs some new life. I think it'll happen soon, with 2015-16 as Berenson's last year, and then we'll see.

As for Larkin, he's a lot like Trouba in my book: he has NHL-ready skills and while I think both could have greatly benefited from one more year in college, just from a maturity standpoint and to put together dominant seasons, I can't say the kid is making a big mistake. I do think he'll spend the entire year in Grand Rapids, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him on the Wings' opening-day roster in 2016-17.

This loss really hurts Michigan. Especially if this is Berenson's last year, Larkin represented this team's best chance to do something. Throw in D Zach Werenski, who could leave, and this program could get gutted in one offseason like something we haven't seen in awhile.

I mentioned in my article up front that JT Compher will be the guy now, and that's fine, and that Kyle Connor will play a big role, but what you're asking is for everyone to raise their game to another level - a level that might not suit them. Ask yourself, is Compher a No. 1 center? Or is he an ideal No. 2? Can you really expect Connor to be as good as Larkin was as a rookie? Someone like Boo Nieves goes into his senior year with a lot more pressure on his shoulders, and that has not helped him at all previously.

There are a lot of pieces to like on this team, but they fit with Larkin returning. Now every single guy on the top three lines is going to be at least one spot out of position in terms of role and responsibility, and that's going to really have an impact.

I feel for Red. He was pretty excited when I saw him about a month ago, talking about what this team could be next season. But without Larkin (and maybe without Werenski) this is not a Big Ten contender.

I would say "Arrrggghhh" but I'm inured to this stuff. Further, most of the early departures Spath lists above were not ready to leave in terms of NHL development status, but for Trouba and Larkin, it's more like we have to say we were lucky they played at Michigan for even 1 year.

From the quote in Mike's story on the front page, Red seems OK with this in terms of the decision, as compared to how steamed he was about Copp.

So by my count, we are down to 12 forwards and 9 D-men (including Werenski) on the roster for next season. Maybe one of the extra D-men becomes a forward, but even so - there must be at least 1 or 2 more players coming from somewhere, eh?

BTW Michael or anyone, can someone refresh my memory on the name of the D-man who was going to be in Trouba's incoming class by turned pro (or went to the OHL) in August? He was from here in Illinois, Orland Park IIRC.

I would say "Arrrggghhh" but I'm inured to this stuff. Further, most of the early departures Spath lists above were not ready to leave in terms of NHL development status, but for Trouba and Larkin, it's more like we have to say we were lucky they played at Michigan for even 1 year.

From the quote in Mike's story on the front page, Red seems OK with this in terms of the decision, as compared to how steamed he was about Copp.

So by my count, we are down to 12 forwards and 9 D-men (including Werenski) on the roster for next season. Maybe one of the extra D-men becomes a forward, but even so - there must be at least 1 or 2 more players coming from somewhere, eh?

BTW Michael or anyone, can someone refresh my memory on the name of the D-man who was going to be in Trouba's incoming class by turned pro (or went to the OHL) in August? He was from here in Illinois, Orland Park IIRC.

Connor Carrick. Big loss because they were counting on him for at least three years.

I don't know if Red is Ok with it, or if after the Copp drama he decided to take a different approach.

Ah, right, that was the kid, thanks. Well, he made it into 34 NHL games with the Caps in 2013-14 but spent the entirety of this season in the AHL.

No Hyman, no Copp, and now no Larkin. Ouch. As Mike said, Nieves has not performed in the past with expectations weighing heavy. "Where is the offense coming from?" has been a habitual refrain the last few seasons, but that question may become even more pronounced this fall.

I've been attending games since I was 12, and have also covered this team, and can't remember offseason departures so wrenching.

A coach like Berenson should (if this is, in fact, his final season) not have to go out like this, but it seems like many coaches in the twilight of their careers see it end with a whimper and not a bang (Carr, Bowden, Paterno, etc.).

This team WOULD have been a Big Ten contender. Now...not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT