ADVERTISEMENT

So Mary Sue Coleman is to blame for Dave Brandon?

michigangoblue999

All-League
Dec 21, 2011
Thanks a lot Mary Sue!!! (shakes fist)

It's just amazing when you read about what a bad guy Brandon is. What an embarrassment that he's a Michigan grad.

From Bacon's new book:

1. Dave Brandon was highly controversial as an AD candidate.

Michigan had the luxury of choosing among three candidates who were experienced, successful Division I athletic directors with deep ties to Michigan. But President Coleman asked the committee to interview a fourth, less conventional candidate: Dave Brandon.

Because Coleman made it clear she wanted Brandon to be the next AD, one Regent asked why she didn’t just appoint him, but she insisted on having a search committee. The committee had trouble deciding who the most qualified candidate was, but not the least: Dave Brandon. More than one member of the search committee told more than one Regent that Brandon was the least impressive candidate on the list. Despite pushing back several times, the committee members finally acquiesced to Coleman’s wishes and picked Dave Brandon.

Last edited:
Was/is Brandon really a "bad guy"? Yes, he turned out to be a mediocre, at best, Athletic Director, but he was still a very viable choice back in January 2010:

(1) From the POV of Bain (effectively, his bosses), he did a fine job at Dominos in the back half of the 2000s. Very large ROI on Bain's investment. Hate private equity firms if you will, but they do serve some function in America, and I'm not one to necessarily villify a guy for working for one.

(2) He was a through-and-through "Michigan Man." Played football, served on the Board for multiple terms in the late 90s and 2000s. I can distinctly remember in the early 2000s, Bo Schembechler --- whose endorsement was THE gold standard in the Michigan world --- stumping for Brandon in radio ads on WTKA (for the Board elections).

(3) Brandon did lose a Board election in the 2007 time-frame. He then spent a good chunk of his time fund-raising for the U-M health system. Something he didn't have to do. Good for Brandon.

(4) Brandon was definitely a stark difference from the oft-criticized Bill Martin --- everyone knew from the start that Brandon would be hands-on. But the thing is that in late 2009 people wanted that, as opposed to people who were cruising around Newport RI on their boat. :)

(5) He was very well compensated at Michigan, but he no doubt took a pay cut to become Michigan AD.

(6) Yes, Brandon nickled-and-dimed fans at Michigan. Unfortunately, that is the way the world has become (not just Michigan). It is what it is, one can try to be principled in this respect but it's eventually a fight you're going to lose, especially if those you compete against (rest of the B1G, ND, et cetera) decide to nickle-and-dime. I know people want cheap tickets. But that's what UNLV/Michigan and MAC games in Ypsilanti and high-school football are for. Cheap tickets aren't coming back for the rest of Michigan's home schedule.

Was/is Brandon really a "bad guy"? Yes, he turned out to be a mediocre, at best, Athletic Director, but he was still a very viable choice back in January 2010:

(1) From the POV of Bain (effectively, his bosses), he did a fine job at Dominos in the back half of the 2000s. Very large ROI on Bain's investment. Hate private equity firms if you will, but they do serve some function in America, and I'm not one to necessarily villify a guy for working for one.

(2) He was a through-and-through "Michigan Man." Played football, served on the Board for multiple terms in the late 90s and 2000s. I can distinctly remember in the early 2000s, Bo Schembechler --- whose endorsement was THE gold standard in the Michigan world --- stumping for Brandon in radio ads on WTKA (for the Board elections).

(3) Brandon did lose a Board election in the 2007 time-frame. He then spent a good chunk of his time fund-raising for the U-M health system. Something he didn't have to do. Good for Brandon.

(4) Brandon was definitely a stark difference from the oft-criticized Bill Martin --- everyone knew from the start that Brandon would be hands-on. But the thing is that in late 2009 people wanted that, as opposed to people who were cruising around Newport RI on their boat. :)

(5) He was very well compensated at Michigan, but he no doubt took a pay cut to become Michigan AD.

(6) Yes, Brandon nickled-and-dimed fans at Michigan. Unfortunately, that is the way the world has become (not just Michigan). It is what it is, one can try to be principled in this respect but it's eventually a fight you're going to lose, especially if those you compete against (rest of the B1G, ND, et cetera) decide to nickle-and-dime. I know people want cheap tickets. But that's what UNLV/Michigan and MAC games in Ypsilanti and high-school football are for. Cheap tickets aren't coming back for the rest of Michigan's home schedule.

The point of what I posted is there were other candidates with Michigan ties with much stronger credentials to be an AD. Coleman thought she knew better than everybody else and made a terrible hire. This is not something I knew about previously. Brandon sucked as an AD, and that's the extent to which I care about him.

The point of what I posted is there were other candidates with Michigan ties with much stronger credentials to be an AD. Coleman thought she knew better than everybody else and made a terrible hire. This is not something I knew about previously. Brandon sucked as an AD, and that's the extent to which I care about him.

One place I do agree --- it was weak for Coleman to be "seeking consensus" and "asking what the Regents think" when she knew what she was going to do anyway. The Athletic Director reports to HER, and she reports to the Regents. Coleman should have said from the start "this is my choice."

But as regards "other candidates with Michigan ties with much stronger credentials to be an AD" --- let's consider Jim Hackett:

1. Former Michigan football player, spent his entire adult life in the business world. Same pre-Michigan AD background as David Brandon. Yes, "weaker credentials" versus a Jeff Long or Brad Bates.

2. Given the above, should Hackett automatically be de-considered for the role of "permanent" AD? I know Hackett currently has the "interim" tag, but it seems like many U-M folk are happy with what he has done in his 9 months (Harbaugh, Nike, et cetera), and would like to see this become "permanent."

I don't know, labeling Brandon a "bad guy" and such, smells a bit like Monday Morning QBing. Besides, Brandon and Coleman are gone. Look forward, not back ......

David Brandon was NOT the best choice for Michigan in 2010 and he proved that in the end his MONEY focus further devasted the Michigan football program and this was probably a driving choice in hiring a new football coach (Hoke). He was an arrogant, self absorbed asshole who embarassed Michigan nationally. Mary Sue Coleman is the PERFECT example of a person being in a leadership position that should not be. She didn't have a clue about football and was a micromanager who apparenty had incompetence running key departments. Also, if it is true what Bacon wrote about Loyd Carr's undermining Rich Rod (Who also did himself in with his ego) then Loyd should be banned from the campus. The best thing about Harbaugh is that he would tell any of them to kiss his ass!!!! Can you imagine Brandon trying to watch film with Harbaugh's staff! Ha! What a total jackass. People like Coleman, Brandon, and Martin ALMOST erased Michigan from College football history within an 8 year span with their incompetence, arrogance, and politics. I was also very skeptical about Hackett when he was appointed interim AD. His hiring of Jim Harbaugh was a GRAND SLAM hire for Michigan, however, I am going to see how the rest of the year plays out for UM before giving him a full endorsement over a person with AD experience.

Last edited:
MSC and Dave Brandon are by fare the worst AD and presidnet ever at michigan and its not even close IMHO. They almost themselves ruined Michigan football with their micromanaging ego ways.

Also MSC tried to force Michigan to keep Amaker and only after fan emails claiming he needed to go for not even making the tourney once until the boosters finally forced her to allow Bill Martin to fire him.

One place I do agree --- it was weak for Coleman to be "seeking consensus" and "asking what the Regents think" when she knew what she was going to do anyway. The Athletic Director reports to HER, and she reports to the Regents. Coleman should have said from the start "this is my choice."

But as regards "other candidates with Michigan ties with much stronger credentials to be an AD" --- let's consider Jim Hackett:

1. Former Michigan football player, spent his entire adult life in the business world. Same pre-Michigan AD background as David Brandon. Yes, "weaker credentials" versus a Jeff Long or Brad Bates.

2. Given the above, should Hackett automatically be de-considered for the role of "permanent" AD? I know Hackett currently has the "interim" tag, but it seems like many U-M folk are happy with what he has done in his 9 months (Harbaugh, Nike, et cetera), and would like to see this become "permanent."

I don't know, labeling Brandon a "bad guy" and such, smells a bit like Monday Morning QBing. Besides, Brandon and Coleman are gone. Look forward, not back ......
The only reason Hackett was brought on was because UM had an emergency when Brandon flamed out. He did a nice job with Harbaugh, but it's no accident that Bob De Carolis returned to the department last month. Hackett isn't going to be around in the long term.

The reason for the thread is that I never realized how the Brandon hire went down. When considering Coleman's legacy, this fact is a big negative mark.

David Brandon was NOT the best choice for Michigan in 2010 and he proved that in the end his MONEY focus further devasted the Michigan football program and this was probably a driving choice in hiring a new football coach (Hoke). He was an arrogant, self absorbed asshole who embarassed Michigan nationally. Mary Sue Coleman is the PERFECT example of a person being in a leadership position that should not be. She didn't have a clue about football and was a micromanager who apparenty had incompetence running key departments. Also, if it is true what Bacon wrote about Loyd Carr's undermining Rich Rod (Who also did himself in with his ego) then Loyd should be banned from the campus. The best thing about Harbaugh is that he would tell any of them to kiss his ass!!!! Can you imagine Brandon trying to watch film with Harbaugh's staff! Ha! What a total jackass. People like Coleman, Brandon, and Martin ALMOST erased Michigan from College football history within an 8 year span with their incompetence, arrogance, and politics. I was also very skeptical about Hackett when he was appointed interim AD. His hiring of Jim Harbaugh was a GRAND SLAM hire for Michigan, however, I am going to see how the rest of the year plays out for UM before giving him a full endorsement over a person with AD experience.
HAA!!! You think Carr should have been banned from campus? LOL!!

RichRod sucked and that's on him. To think Carr is to blame is hilarious. Oh my god, Carr wasn't nice enough to Rich so that's why his team's tanked....right!

The only reason Hackett was brought on was because UM had an emergency when Brandon flamed out. He did a nice job with Harbaugh, but it's no accident that Bob De Carolis returned to the department last month. Hackett isn't going to be around in the long term.

The reason for the thread is that I never realized how the Brandon hire went down. When considering Coleman's legacy, this fact is a big negative mark.

Fair enough, I just didn't get the "bad guy" comment in the original post --- which reads as a gratuitous cheap shot.

He's a decent guy, who wasn't good at his job, and now he's gone anyway.

HAA!!! You think Carr should have been banned from campus? LOL!!

RichRod sucked and that's on him. To think Carr is to blame is hilarious. Oh my god, Carr wasn't nice enough to Rich so that's why his team's tanked....right!

I did not say the team tanked because Carr and I agree that Rich Rod sucked but to think that a former coach who is loved so much would be such a piece of shit to undermine and hurt the very program he coached speaks volumes about his character. I do remember Rich Rod taking shots at Carr about leaving the cupboard bare but I never believed that and thought it was another excuse. You sound like a diehard Carr defender but let me tell you this. He was very mediocre as a coach because he had teams that should have and could have won like the 97 team. He also NEVER developed a coaching tree underneath him and that is why Martin looked outside the program for a HC which began the 8 year disaster at UM. Loyd also undermined the potential hiring of Miles (who is 10 times the coach that Carr was) and he would not hire Harbaugh when he was getting into coaching. Harbaugh will keep him 10 miles away from his program. Loyd needs to be told thank you for your wonderful service and show up for fundraising, otherwise stay the hell away from the football program now. You quit blowing your whistle 8 years ago and are now part of the past. Michigan will be much better off as its time to get all of the speed bumps away from Harbaugh's program.

Last edited:
I did not say the team tanked because Carr and I agree that Rich Rod sucked but to think that a former coach who is loved so much would be such a piece of shit to undermine and hurt the very program he coached speaks volumes about his character. I do remember Rich Rod taking shots at Carr about leaving the cupboard bare but I never believed that and thought it was another excuse. You sound like a diehard Carr defender but let me tell you this. He was very mediocre as a coach because he had teams that should have and could have won like the 97 team. He also NEVER developed a coaching tree underneath him and that is why Martin looked outside the program for a HC which began the 8 year disaster at UM. Loyd also undermined the potential hiring of Miles (who is 10 times the coach that Carr was) and he would not hire Harbaugh when he was getting into coaching. Harbaugh will keep him 10 miles away from his program. Loyd needs to be told thank you for your wonderful service and show up for fundraising, otherwise stay the hell away from the football program now. You quit blowing your whistle 8 years ago and are now part of the past. Michigan will be much better off as its time to get all of the speed bumps away from Harbaugh's program.

Will Harbaugh keep Lloyd Carr 10 miles away from the program? I f I remember right, Lloyd Carr was either an assistant coach or some type of helper at the Spring game on the sidelines?

My Mother-In-Law visits my home quite frequently, however, she is a visitor and nothing more. She knows nothing about our family business. Just because he helped in the Spring means nothing. I'm sure Coach Harbaugh respects Coach Carr and I bet he is fully aware of what has gone on there as well.

We can all agree Rich Rocket Scientist sucked. But "it doesn't get fixed overnight" (uttered in Year 3 of the train wreck).

Well you had worse results with all of Hoke's awesome recruiting that was designed for the pro style Big Ten power game. At least Rich Rod improved your record every year after his first. He could have just as easily had the 11-2 year Hoke had in his next year. UM opponents were much more weary of RRods offense than of anything Hoke did. Hoke had no strengths. You may not recognize it but RRod had prolific UM and Big Ten offenses. Some of the best in history. You are too hard on him and not hard enough on Hoke and your legacy culture.

You may not recognize it but RRod had prolific UM and Big Ten offenses. Some of the best in history. You are too hard on him and not hard enough on Hoke and your legacy culture.

Look. This is now history at UM but I am going to chime in. Rich Rodriguez is a good football coach and I do like what he accomplished at WVU and at Zona right now. It is a fact, however, that despite what politics was going on to undercut him, Rich Rod's own arrogance and poor HEAD coaching decisions also doomed him in AA. He took shots at Carr in the press which despite Carr's misgiving's, that should never had happened. He tried to implement his offense with the wrong athlete instead of gradually implementing it which would have benefitted the team instead if his giant ego. His offenses at UM could NOT move the ball and win against good sound defenses (MSU/OSU and a slew of others) He also completely ignored the defense and special teams. It was embarassing watching Michigan try to win games 66-59 and so on. Rod failed at AA and yes there was outside agitation, but he made it quite easy for them when you watched the team on the field. His staff was the equivalent of a high school staff and he got rid of Schaffer as the DC (who was also Harbaugh's DC at Stanford) Brandon was 100% correct to have fired him and it is evident that Rod learned a valuable lesson from UM by his success so far in the desert. I was skeptical of Hoke from the beginning from his overall record as a HC. I do give him credit for 2011 though and I still believe had Rod returned that would have NEVER have happened with Greg Robinson and those clowns coaching the defense. Brandon doomed his career as AD from the start with the Hoke hire. Brandon, when appointed AD by Coleman wanted all the attention and did not want a HC that would steal some of his media exposure. He reminded me of Jerry Jones and his meddling. Effective change comes from the top down ONLY!!! even you hire a great HC and you have a incompetent leadership at the top and as the AD then they are going to get frustrated and leave. Meanwhile, they will not be able to do their best while there because of the idiots around them. Harbaugh is going to be successful at UM because Coleman is GONE and Schissel is intelligent enough to give athletics the freedom to operate and feed the university. His first success was firing Brandon. Hackett has done nothing at this point but exhibit pure competence at the AD position. The jury is still out on him and true time will tell. The nightmare years are OVER for UM fans. Harbaugh has 100% autonomy and support to build a monster and he will. I still say UM wins 9-10 maybe more this year. Most fans (who have never played the game) underestimate good coaching and decisions. Just ask OSU under Fickell and the same kids that went 12-0 the next year under Meyer. It can happen if the things fall in line.

At the time I thought Brandon was , far and away, the best choice. I couldn't have been more incorrect!

Worst UM AD ever and yes that includes Bill Martin.

Will never be convinced he also fired the voice of Michigan football, Frank Beckmann, although he denies it.

Well you had worse results with all of Hoke's awesome recruiting that was designed for the pro style Big Ten power game. At least Rich Rod improved your record every year after his first. He could have just as easily had the 11-2 year Hoke had in his next year. UM opponents were much more weary of RRods offense than of anything Hoke did. Hoke had no strengths. You may not recognize it but RRod had prolific UM and Big Ten offenses. Some of the best in history. You are too hard on him and not hard enough on Hoke and your legacy culture.
You're delusional if you think Rich Rocket Scientist would have gone 11-2 if given another year. He presided over the 3 worst Ds in UM history, with another year he would be 4 for 4. Remember, "Vince Lombardi couldn't do anything with this defense". Utter failure at UM, thank goodness he didn't get another year to further destroy the program. Didn't his powerful offense (the one teams were " weary" of) avg about 8 per game against TUOS?

I quit arguing with RR defenders years ago. His record at UM speaks for itself as the Head Coach. Had he taken the Alabama job the year prior, then he would have been fired as well and probably hung from Bear Bryants statue in the middle of Tuscaloosa. He was a mistake hire for Michigan and thank God it is now history. He learned some valuable lessons in AA and obviously has made changes because Arizona can stop people now. Good for him. On the other hand, Brady Hoke needs to be an defensive position coach somwhere when he gets back into coaching. He may wind up at South Carolina where his brother is DC under Spurrier.

ADVERTISEMENT