ADVERTISEMENT

Smith decision at least a week out

ArrowheadBlue

Heisman
May 29, 2001
It looks like Roquan Smith will be undecided about his college choice for a bit longer.

According to his high school coach, committed to UCLA in a televised (and awkwardly staged) ceremony on ESPNU on Wednesday, but didn't sign his letter of intent.

He said going into the ceremony that he was torn between UCLA and Georgia, and the Georgia native didn't find his decision to be any easier when it was reported that UCLA defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich was leaving to become the linebackers coach for the Atlanta Falcons.

Ulbrich was Smith's lead recruiter.

From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"It was everybody on the staff," Macon County Athletic Director and football coach Larry Harold said Thursday. "Coach (John) Lilly was the first I heard from. We weren't answering our phones, I wasn't answering mine and he wasn't answering his. All the sudden these text messages started coming in. They said, 'RED ALERT: READ THIS.' Somebody screen-shotted (the website) FootballScoop(.com) and it grew from there. It was crazy."

View gallery

Woody Wommack chats with the LB[/QUOTE]

Smith had cards for Michigan and Texas A&M on the table as well when he made his announcement for UCLA. Those two schools are still in the running despite being "eliminated" by a friend who pulled the cards off the table before Smith donned a pair of UCLA gloves on National Signing Day.

"It's not an open recruitment really, it's just the same four schools and he's going to take a week or so to decide," Harold said. "He's going to take this weekend off, spend time with his family and relax, be a teen-ager. And then next week maybe he'll start calling some coaches again and rehash it all.[/QUOTE]

"(The recruiting period) isn't over until the end of April, so there's no rush. You know, it is a big decision and he needs to take his time, especially in lieu of what happened with the coach at UCLA leaving. So there's a lot for him to consider. These things happen. But he needs to do what's best for him and his family just like Coach Ulbrich did what's best for him and his family. Everybody needs to do what's best for their situation
[/QUOTE]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT