ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP - New B1G Playoff format in the works

Reactions: zeke76
I'm not sure if I get what the news is saying- they get 3 weekends- which is 3 rounds of best 2/3, a semi final and final weekend.

but to do that, I get just 2 weekends.

As I see it, the top team gets a bye, and on the first weekend, 2-7, 3-6, and 4-5 in a best of three weekend.

By doing that, you get 4 teams left for a playoff. Which they say is a single game semi on each side, plus a championship.

The only way I see it going 3 weekends is if the semis were also a best 2/3 for a weekend and the championship was a week later.

I took it to be:

Weekend 1: Teams 2-7, 3-6 and 4-5 play in best 2 of 3 series at the higher-seeded teams' rinks.

Weekend 2: Team 1 plays a winner from Weekend 1, and the other 2 Weekend 1 winners play each other, in a 1-game elimination at the higher-seeded teams' rinks.

Weekend 3: The 2 remaining teams play 1 championship game at the higher-seeded teams' rink.

My comment is that Weekends 2 and 3 should also be best 2 of 3 series - like real "playoffs."

The way I read it was the best of 3 quarters the way you have it set up. Then 1 and the highest remaining seed each host a one-game semifinal the next weekend. Whoever is the highest seed after that hosts the championship game the following weekend.

I assume they're doing this so BTN can set its tv schedule and to avoid the decisive game 3 being played in an empty rink on a Sunday.

I'd rather see all 3 series be best of 3 since I think it makes home ice more meaningful. That being said, I like the idea way better than the current format. The atmosphere in Detroit was almost depressing 2 years ago and it was bizarre watching the Penn St. game this year with no crowd reaction to anything that happened in the game.

I took it to be:

Weekend 1: Teams 2-7, 3-6 and 4-5 play in best 2 of 3 series at the higher-seeded teams' rinks.

Weekend 2: Team 1 plays a winner from Weekend 1, and the other 2 Weekend 1 winners play each other, in a 1-game elimination at the higher-seeded teams' rinks.

Weekend 3: The 2 remaining teams play 1 championship game at the higher-seeded teams' rink.

My comment is that Weekends 2 and 3 should also be best 2 of 3 series - like real "playoffs."
Looks like you beat me to it. Sorry for the double post.

I took it to be:

Two one game weekends in a row? Seems like a waste.

Just have the top 4 teams meet at the top seeded team's home, have 3 game, done.

Or, as you suggest, have the best of 3 weekends. But even that, I'm ok with 2 weekends- one play in weekend, and a championship weekend.

The Thursday game was terrible, and the complete lack of promotion for the championship at the schools didn't help, too. The latter can be fixed- as we saw for the CCHA and WCHA finals.

Just going to the higher seed seems lazy. No need to promote it at all. And not much of a chance for the lower seeded team fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT