ADVERTISEMENT

Rudock Could Help Michigan in 2015

scfanblue

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
If he does transfer in there is a huge upside to him using his last year at Michigan. #1- He has two years of STARTING experience where he owned a 60% completion rate. Harbaugh will increase this. The offense can immediately move forward without scheming around an inexperienced first year QB. #2- This would give the young incomers a full YEAR to develop and get some experience which will get them ready for full takeover in 2016. #3 IF Rudock comes aboard and Michigan has a very good season with him, the top QB recruits are clearly going to see what Harbaugh's coaching can do for them and Michigan may land a couple super QB recruits to go with the QB already on the team. It's a great situation for the program if this happens and smart to snag a quality experienced QB with a year of eligibility remaining to get the offense off and running next year. It worked for Wisky with Russel Wilson!

I am a Minority on the Hawkeye Message Boards because I love Jake Ruddock. Despite everyone wanting him benched, his numbers and stats were very good for the past 2 years. The thing that frustrated most fans was that Jake did not have the ability to "Make" big plays when needed and CJ Beathard does. Jake has bad knees and has worn braces for the past 2 years. He throws well (although his deep ball needs work) and he is one of the best Game Managers I have ever seen but he is not very mobile.

Jake is not going to make big plays with his feet and that is one feature that CJ gives to the game. CJ is the kind of QB that a team like Iowa needs that doesn't have the most talented WRs or RBs in the conference. CJ is a play maker and Jake is a play manager.

CJ thrives when he can make plays and do what he does best which is creating open passing lanes while buying time with his feet and scrambling or taking off on a run himself. He is not afraid to tuck and run.

Jake thrives when he can relax in the pocket and find open receivers and rely on his passing instead of the run.

If Jake has a good line in front of him and playmakers around him, he will do a fantastic job for Michigan if he can have time in the pocket to find open receivers. I actually think he can and will succeed at Michigan.

But Iowa fans are saying Rudock is immobile due to bad knees; in that case, he is not going to be another Russell Wilson.

Originally posted by 24to12:
But Iowa fans are saying Rudock is immobile due to bad knees; in that case, he is not going to be another Russell Wilson.
You are absolutely right. Ruddock has bad knees. He reminds me of the Oklahoma QB (Before Sam Bradford) his last name was White. He won the Heisman.... Oh darn, I don't remember his name but he was not drafted because of his knees...

Anyway....... Jake Ruddock will do his best when he can sit in the pocket and throw. Michigan is the kind of team that he can do well at because Michigan has playmakers around the Quarterback. This is good for Jake because it means he can go through his progressions and find a target and not have to be the second coming of Fran Tarkenton. With playmakers around him, he won't have to "Do It ALL" and that's the good thing.

The QB position is tough at Iowa because often our receivers and running backs are not as talented as others around the conference which means the QB has to make plays. It's a lot of pressure. It's more work than QBs from other schools that have talented players like Melvin Gordon or Amari Cooper.

Jake can absolutely Kill opposing teams with his ability to scan the field. In several Iowa games, Jake would throw balls to 7 or 8 different receivers throughout the game. Sometimes he likes to lock onto one guy waaaaay to much but for the most part, he does a good job of scanning the field (when he has time to do so) and find the open guy.

I believe you have misinterpreted my post. In no way was I comparing this man to Russell Wilson athletically. It worked for Wisky because they took a proven one year QB who went on to lead them to the Rose Bowl. I am simply saying that for Michigan's situation next year, he would be a great answer. No matter what his knee problems may be, I would take a two year starter with a 60% completion rate over Shane Morris or a no experience freshman QB on any occasion. I believe Harbaugh might agree or he would not be bringing the young man in for a visit. This guy, like it or not is eligible NOW to play and gives Michigan the room it needs on offense to nurture the QB corp of the future and possibly recruit the top talent in that position.

Originally posted by scfanblue:

I believe you have misinterpreted my post. In no way was I comparing this man to Russell Wilson athletically. It worked for Wisky because they took a proven one year QB who went on to lead them to the Rose Bowl. I am simply saying that for Michigan's situation next year, he would be a great answer. No matter what his knee problems may be, I would take a two year starter with a 60% completion rate over Shane Morris or a no experience freshman QB on any occasion. I believe Harbaugh might agree or he would not be bringing the young man in for a visit. This guy, like it or not is eligible NOW to play and gives Michigan the room it needs on offense to nurture the QB corp of the future and possibly recruit the top talent in that position.
I don't know everybody you brought in, but I would almost think if he steps on campus he would be your best option right away. Like Maniac, I think the kid's a good QB. And you know, he can make plays with his feet when it breaks down. He's not Denard Robinson no doubt or Ruseell Wilson, but he's got a good presence, decent arm (despite what some on our board think) and he's very smart with his pre-snap reads. I would think having Harbaugh work with him will make him better as well.

We'll do fine with Beathard, I like him too, but you're getting a good QB and an even better person. Dad might be a piece of work, but in the world of college football that's hardly breaking news for a lot of kids. Over on our board some were consumed that starting him was one of our biggest problems last year. Hardly. We had a lot of other issues more pressing than who played QB for us.

It would be a huge help it might take us from a 6 or 7 win team to a 9 or 10+ win team. Zack Gentry is the QB of the future and it would be great to be able to redshirt him too.

I believe the Michigan fan base will love this kid and the only regret is he will only have 1 year to play.

Rudock is not mobile. I think you will see when he arrives why he was bumped to #2.

He is a great young man, but his knees are a real problem.

Best of luck!

Please beat OSU!

Go Hawks

Rudock is a good QB. What was frustrating to me was his conservatism, 3rd and 8 so he throws a 3 yard pass. However this is to be blamed on KF for insisting that we have no turnovers. He'll do well in Michigan without GD calling the plays and KF preaching no mistakes. I know turnovers can kill you, but you still have to at least pretend you'll throw beyond the sticks. JH and Co will have him rolling in no time. Very smart young man.

I posted this in another thread, my honest opinion.

You should have seen the game he had the year before when we dismantled Nebraska at there place. That's what he's capable of when he's in the zone. Just needs more consistency. You will love the good Jake and pull your hair out with the bad Jake, but you can say that about anyone. The question is will a new school and JH be able to take him to his full potential. I'm guessing yes and you will be very happy. He certainly will come out with a chip on his shoulder. I'm impressed that Jake transferred cause he's a Med student and Iowa has a good Med school that tells me he's all in with his FB future. He remains me of Brady without the strong arm of Brady. You look at the stat sheet 8 different receiver's will have completions every game. He likes to spread the ball around.

I'm glad we have CJB at number one over Jake cause Iowa needs a guy who can put the team on his shoulders and win games, with Michigan's talent I think you need a game manager and Jake can certainly do that well.4/11 4:33 AM | IP: Logged

Now to add, with that said, Ruddock will be your starter and he will have a great year for you. He's super intelligent and will pick up JH system faster than any other QB on your roster. If you surround him with 4 and 5 star athlete's he will pick teams a part. My Hawkeyes just don't have that sort of talent so we need a superstar QB to carry us and I guess we are all in on CJB. Time will tell if he can deliver for us?

If I where you Id be very excited about this pick up. He was good in our system he will be better in yours.
This post was edited on 4/11 4:54 AM by FBletterman

Nice post. I do think Jake will start for Michigan this year and I do think Harbaugh invited him to play because he is not satisfied with the current QB situation at UM. Morris had a very average to less than average performance in the Spring game. He has emerged as the leader of the pack and he should have considering he is competing against a true Freshman. However, if Michigan has to play with Morris as their starting QB then we are looking at a 6-7 win season at best no matter how good the defense will be. Morris was simply not developed under Hoke when a QB at that level needs to be. Secondly, I personally never thought he was that good coming out of high school despite what the recruiting services ranked him, I am excited for Michigan as Harbaugh is bringing in the pieces one at a time (QB/Punter/DB) and him doing this proves that some of players Hoke recruited were not really the hype they were coming out of high school-(Like Morris)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT