ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting...

tarun262

All-League
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2007
should we be concerned about the number of 2-3 stars committing to Michigan? Not sure why we are not waiting? Hopefully JH has a grand plan :) Go Blue!

Reactions: babcoc70
I loved the Johnson commit...this recent one not so much. That being said I'll go with Harbaugh and staff...that simple.

Next point and very very important and hope this gets discussed. I think Harbaugh is thinking the following.

1. He has got a lot of people he is going to get rid of just by driving them into the ground. I have heard those Isaac rumors about his discontent with Harbaugh.

2. Let's assume 5-7 guys leave...that is a class of about 30 guys or so?

So the bottom line is Harbaugh knows he is going to have a huge class. Huge. I love Dytavious Johnson regardless of rating. He looks great as did Davis when he committed.

Harbaugh has about 5 flyers and it's not like Weaver doesn't have size or some athleticism. So I don't have a big problem with this offer if the class size is going to be 30. Is there a limit of 25 per year? Kid does play hard. Definitely strong side player.

Reality Man

I loved the Johnson commit...this recent one not so much. That being said I'll go with Harbaugh and staff...that simple.

Next point and very very important and hope this gets discussed. I think Harbaugh is thinking the following.

1. He has got a lot of people he is going to get rid of just by driving them into the ground. I have heard those Isaac rumors about his discontent with Harbaugh.

2. Let's assume 5-7 guys leave...that is a class of about 30 guys or so?

So the bottom line is Harbaugh knows he is going to have a huge class. Huge. I love Dytavious Johnson regardless of rating. He looks great as did Davis when he committed.

Harbaugh has about 5 flyers and it's not like Weaver doesn't have size or some athleticism. So I don't have a big problem with this offer if the class size is going to be 30. Is there a limit of 25 per year? Kid does play hard. Definitely strong side player.

Reality Man
We can't have a class of 30 as we're not the SEC. The B1G requires schools to follow that crazy 25 max NCAA rule.

I am in the school of thought that thinks "collectively" Star rankings have validity. But for any individual player, it is more about whether the coach's want him regardless.

If Harbaugh is offering to 3 Star players because he really want them,there is no reason to be concerned. If he is offering them because he doesn't see himself able to get his first choice prospects, that would be a reason to be concerned.

Well we just picked up another 2-star player today - so that makes 3 2-star players in the past week. I hope they are diamonds in the rough

I really like the film on McKeon. He runs really well and has good hands. Plays tough so he is the prototypical pass catching TE.

Reality Man

We can't have a class of 30 as we're not the SEC. The B1G requires schools to follow that crazy 25 max NCAA rule.

The Big10 caps classes at 25 max.

It's possible to go behind that with early entrants, which can be counted against the previous years total. However, the Big10 caps this at 3 additional players.

So without a waiver, the absolute max is 28 kids in a recruiting class.

I'm not sure how transfers play into this, I'd have to look that up

The Big10 caps classes at 25 max.

It's possible to go behind that with early entrants, which can be counted against the previous years total. However, the Big10 caps this at 3 additional players.

So without a waiver, the absolute max is 28 kids in a recruiting class.

I'm not sure how transfers play into this, I'd have to look that up
Incoming transfers have zero impact on a recruiting class size, other than counting against the 85 man limit.

should we be concerned about the number of 2-3 stars committing to Michigan? Not sure why we are not waiting? Hopefully JH has a grand plan :) Go Blue!
I would go with the coach/JH and staffs choice over a web site(Rivals-Scout) evaluator who has never played a down of football

Here is the bottom line...I could work for a recruiting site and I have only watched football. It would take me a little bit to pick up the nuances of evaluation like footwork and hand placement, etc.

I think a blind person could see the 5 star talent. It's like listening to a music artist and recognizing talent...not that hard. What is really hard is distinguishing between the vast amount of players who somehow get labeled a 4 star vs. a 3/2 star. It's very difficult and to project the player going forward.

At the end of the day...I will defer to a competent coaching staff (Dantonio) over a recruiting 'expert'. Dantonio and Beilein have made a mockery of recruiting rankings.

See Burke, Dawkins, THJ, etc.

Reality Man

Reactions: roaringfork green
The coaches saw 2,000-3000 players at their camps. I believe they have the expertise to see talent. Some kids will stand out that have had very little evaluation, I think this is what happened with these recruits. Have to wait and see if the camp performance is matched by in pads progress.

Here is the bottom line...I could work for a recruiting site and I have only watched football. It would take me a little bit to pick up the nuances of evaluation like footwork and hand placement, etc.

I think a blind person could see the 5 star talent. It's like listening to a music artist and recognizing talent...not that hard. What is really hard is distinguishing between the vast amount of players who somehow get labeled a 4 star vs. a 3/2 star. It's very difficult and to project the player going forward.

At the end of the day...I will defer to a competent coaching staff (Dantonio) over a recruiting 'expert'. Dantonio and Beilein have made a mockery of recruiting rankings.

See Burke, Dawkins, THJ, etc.

Reality Man
This!

Harbaugh will be fine with recruiting. It's his first class, no ground work laid yet, no games to build a track record yet. What he needs right now is athletic bodies that have the measurables and that are hungry to compete and play. Of course he also needs a good QB. The Big Ten East will be the best division in college football for at least the next 5-7 years if Dantonio, Meyer, Harbaugh and Franklin are all still coaching in it and don't forget about Maryland and Rutgers......Big Ten is going to improve their lot in life immensely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT