ADVERTISEMENT

raise your hand if you said H-BOMB would......

Hand raised. I always knew JH would be good in Ann Arbor

But ----- considering the abundance of U-M fans/alums who took dumps on Harbaugh in summer 2007 with the whole "not a Michigan man" nonsense ......... I figured those arrogant morons would rule the day and effectively black-ball JH from Ann Arbor forever.

Credit to those fans/alums who don't take part in revisionist history and are self-aware enough to realize their 2007 behavior was complete garbage. JH is about as good a "Michigan Man" as can be, and he'll have great success in AA.

Re: Me, based on the updates from two Bay area reporters that I've

You shoulda been listening to me
wink.r191677.gif

Those reporters were reporting the information they were given, but it was given to them for a reason. The info wasn't that he was staying in the NFL, it was essentially a form response that said "Jim is still the coach of the 49ers, and he loves the NFL"

Not true. One of the reporters had a personal interview with JH

the thing reporters liked about JH was there was nothing "off the record". The reporter's comment to me was "he'll go to Michigan if it joins the NFL."

I haven't reached out to the reporter in 90 days so Ill drop him an email to see if there's more reasons than the obvious why JH left.

Re: Not true. One of the reporters had a personal interview with JH

I can almost guarantee you he never told anyone he was staying in the NFL. He is pretty good at avoiding questions he doesn't want to answer. He positively was not going to talk about Michigan while he was still the coach of SF.
Originally posted by ArrowheadBlue:

the thing reporters liked about JH was there was nothing "off the record". The reporter's comment to me was "he'll go to Michigan if it joins the NFL."

I haven't reached out to the reporter in 90 days so Ill drop him an email to see if there's more reasons than the obvious why JH left.

I didn't think he would leave the NFL but

I was confident that if he was willing to consider college he'd come to Michigan. I also didn't know if we had a competent enough AD to make it happen but when Brandon was removed that cleared the way.

Even Harbaugh admitted those comments from almost 8 years ago

were wrong. That didn't make it into your post, though.

Everybody has moved on from all of that.

Really? When and where did Harbaugh apologize for those comments???

Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't think that ever happened. If it did, I completely missed it.

(FWIW, I do not think JH should apologize for those comments)

Fair enough --- you've moved on. I have an idea as to why "you've moved on", but fair enough.

This post was edited on 4/15 3:40 PM by michnittlion

Re: Really? When and where did Harbaugh apologize for those comments???

I'm not certain if he ever apologized for the comments, but he certainly said he made a mistake and has learned from it. He did so at the introduction presser.

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
Why is it you think I've moved on? Just curious

I've said before that holding grudges is pointless. I've moved on from Chris Webber and have forgiven him. At one time, I really hated Webber.

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
"Everyone has moved on" --- figured you were part of "everyone"

It would be interesting if there were some alternate universe where U-M consistently won 10+ games and contended for MNCs in the post-Lloyd Carr era. I'd bet there would be a LOT more grudges held against JH in that "alternate universe."

But now many U-M fans who hated JH in 2007 feel they need JH. It's favoring Practicality (I want my favorite football team to win more football games, I'm tired of losing to Ohio State) over Principle (JH was wrong in 2007 and he's never apologized for his comments and he's out of the family short of a formal apology).

I'm a principle over practicality type of guy, but to each their own.

There's no principle at work here, though

Family members get pissed at each other from time to time, but as long as we're just talking about a verbal disagreement, things can be forgiven and forgotten. Nobody was mad at JH for something he had done, only his words.

There was absolutely no pushback from Michigan fans about the JH hire. Can we agree on that? So, it seems that you are more principled than all Michigan fans. Tough break for us, I guess.
laugh.r191677.gif

By the way, I meant "for what reason do you think I've moved on." You were sounding like you were reading my mind or something.

This post was edited on 4/16 2:33 PM by michigangoblue999

By the way, OT question for you

It's funny to me how much PSU fans are up in arms over the BOT elections. It seems really strange that alumni can elect special trustees to the board. PSU is of concern to all citizens of the state, or at least I would think so. Yet you never see that opinion on BWI. If anything, they would like to place exclusive control of the university under a board elected by a few thousand alumni. It's pretty bizzare. I was wondering your take on that.

The PSU BOT definitely has some structural issues

That said, having alumni-elected members is NOT the structural issue I'm talking about. The alumni only get to elect 9 out of 38 possible PSU BOT members. It's not a majority. Of the schools I'm most aware of, most (Michigan, MSU, Wayne, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Illinois, Kentucky, Northern Kentucky, Wisconsin, Minnesota) do not have alumni-elected BOT members, but some do (Pittsburgh, Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Penn State). Penn State isn't an "outlier" in terms of having alumni-elected Board members.

The real structural problems as I see it are: (a) having 38 board members. 38!!! That's too many by an order of at least two. And (b) the mysterious "elected by delegates from the Agricultural Societies" and "elected by delegates from the Business and Industry" memberships. Those account for 12 of the 38, and the "delegates" doing the "electing" really don't have much accountability.

If it were up to me, the PSU Board structure would be: (a) at most, 16 members. And (b) an approximate 45-45-10 split between those appointed by the governor, those elected by the state's citizens, and those elected by alumni. If it were 16 members, that would be roughly a 7-7-2 split.

I'd promote that structure for a school like Wayne State (I'm also an alum there, got my Masters). Only being elected by Michigan citizens isn't perfect either. Wayne State (or U-M) Board membership can definitely become political and results sometimes get dictated by extremely tangential stuff like who is running for U.S. President at the top of the ticket, and what party gets out the vote more.

Though I do not support almost all of the recently-elected alumni BOT members, I do think PSU alumni deserve at least one seat at the table. PSU is an asset for every resident of Pennsylvania, but us alums are more "vested" in things. Thus we should get to elect at least one solely from our own.

Fair enough, it sometimes seems like a "white-washing" of 2007

Like it never even happened.

I admit --- I love JH, always have. And obviously JH is over things given that he took the job, but he really was treated like dog crap by a whole lot of U-M folk in summer 2007. And by "U-M folk", I mean a whole lot more people than just Lloyd Carr and Mike Hart. Hart was young and arrogant and was a bit late in developing a filter on his mouth, so I can excuse him. But Carr? And the adults in the U-M fan-base? Mmmmmm. Anyway ........

U-M will be successful under Harbaugh. I'm confident of that. It just annoys me that some of the people who will be celebrating U-M's future success (I'll celebrate it too) will be the same people who were arrogant d-bags toward a "true Michigan Man" like JH in 2007.

That said, when PSU has future success, the JoeBots will celebrate next to me too. I guess it is what it is.

Hand raised. I always knew JH would be good in Ann Arbor

But ----- considering the abundance of U-M fans/alums who took dumps on Harbaugh in summer 2007 with the whole "not a Michigan man" nonsense ......... I figured those arrogant morons would rule the day and effectively black-ball JH from Ann Arbor forever.

Credit to those fans/alums who don't take part in revisionist history and are self-aware enough to realize their 2007 behavior was complete garbage. JH is about as good a "Michigan Man" as can be, and he'll have great success in AA.
He's a great football coach. He's also immature and smacked a girl in the face while drunk in South Quad in 1982. Not to mention, he called out UM for purportedly discouraging him from studying history -- probably not bad advice given he is dyslexic.

There has been a fair amount of soul selling involved with this hire. Let's be honest here, if not for the back-to-back RR and Hoke disasters he likely wouldn't be here.

I won't weigh in on the Michigan Man thing as it is irrelevant.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT