ADVERTISEMENT

Places to stay/things to do in Ann Arbor?

Originally posted by goblue31602:
Originally posted by Beezzz:

If you're willing to spend $250 a night you can stay just about anywhere you want in Ann Arbor, that's right around what most charge. A few of the hotels have shuttles that take you over to the game, and they're building a Residence Inn in downtown Ann Arbor that is scheduled to be done by September. If you're interested in booking there, you may want to try calling corporate to see when they will start booking. There aren't really many walkable options, Candlewood Suites, Bell Tower, and Campus Inn are all in the vicinity of 1-1.5 miles, so it's not a short walk.

As far as traffic on gamedays, if you're staying out of town, I'd HIGHLY suggest you park either in Ann Arbor Pioneer High School (massive tailgating lot opposite the southwest corner of the stadium) or in Ann Arbor Golf and Outing on the west side of the course (directly south of the stadium). Basically anywhere that allows you to exit right onto Ann Arbor Saline Road is your best bet. They close the road for traffic coming the opposite way and all 5 lanes lead south directly to I-94. Considering how many people are at games, it is extremely efficient and positively the fastest way out of AA after the game. I got in my car about 20 minutes after the last Notre Dame game (where we had 115k+) and was on the highway in no more than 5-6 minutes.

I have linked a site that will have game shuttle info for next season.

Two fifty a night for what? Bedbug and cockraoach bites?
I'm not sure how much Columbus hotels charge, if that's what you're asking.
Try Ann Arbor.

You might be one of the dumbest posters on this site, and that's saying a lot. You've clearly never been there, and Columbus tailgating sucks, it's not even comparable. I have friends who are OSU fans who say the same thing.

There are 3 massive lots with a TON of tailgating, not a bunch of crap concrete parking lots all over the place like in Columbus.
^^this^^^ is exactly what I have heard. the RU fans that I know that made the trip to Columbus for the game ...no strike that...beat down we got.....said they were horribly disappointed in the tailgate scene or lack there of. I felt the same about our trip to Lincoln where we had a fantastic time but, again, no tailgate scene that we were used to.

As an OSU fan I agree that the tailgating here isn't that great. As a large University surrounded by a city there isn't enough space for the typical college tailgating environment. While a the a Rutgers fans may have been disappointed with the tailgating, they were very complimentary on what the city had to offer and the game environment outside of the tailgating scene.

Your description of OSU's tailgating scene os exactly why.....

OSU isn't a good college setting. Columbus is too big and OSU is swallowed by the city. A2 is a much nicer college town.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: Your description of OSU's tailgating scene os exactly why.....

It all depends on what you are looking for whether as a student or visitor. If you want quaint, that's not OSU. If you want a more urban experience without the hassles of an older major city, Columbus fits the bill.

I expect the standard Columbus sucks response but those who aren't biased are complimentary. I haven't been to AA but I've been yo some classic traditional college towns. They have their charm. I can't say too much negative about them, I like to visit for a short while, but I wouldn't want to stay there long term. Nothing wrong with them, just personal preference.

Even though I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, I'm not a big city guy....

I've been to Columbus several times and much prefer A2 as a college setting. Columbus doesn't have the charm or atmosphere of a college town .

Re: Even though I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, I'm not a big city guy....

Originally posted by BigHouse_00:
I've been to Columbus several times and much prefer A2 as a college setting. Columbus doesn't have the charm or atmosphere of a college town .
Nothing wrong with that. To each their own. When I was looking at colleges ( a lifetime ago), it was nice to visit smaller college towns, but in the long run I preferred living in a bigger city with more diverse opportunities.

Originally posted by klemman:
As an OSU fan I agree that the tailgating here isn't that great. As a large University surrounded by a city there isn't enough space for the typical college tailgating environment. While a the a Rutgers fans may have been disappointed with the tailgating, they were very complimentary on what the city had to offer and the game environment outside of the tailgating scene.

you are correct Klemman....I heard nothing but positive reports about the people and the area. The hubby and I have a trip to tOSU scheduled for 2016.

Rutgers is also surrounded by a city but has managed to save some land for great tailgating. Bars, however, are not walking distance to the stadium.

To answer your original question....

Ann Arbor has a bunch of very good restaurants on Main St. near downtown. If you like beer, Ann Arbor has 5 or 6 brew pubs all within walking distance of one another. A few of the brew pubs have pretty good food too. As far as the University goes, walk around the Central Campus area. The campus has a lot of cool architecture (particularly the Law Quad). UM also has a very nice arbortoreum within walking distance from Central Campus. There are a lot of bars in the town and some of them have good bands playing in the evening. Go to Zingerman's Deli-it's an Ann Arbor institution. Ann Arbor also has a lot of little shops and eclectic boutiques.

Re: To answer your original question....

Originally posted by BigHouse_00:
Ann Arbor has a bunch of very good restaurants on Main St. near downtown. If you like beer, Ann Arbor has 5 or 6 brew pubs all within walking distance of one another. A few of the brew pubs have pretty good food too. As far as the University goes, walk around the Central Campus area. The campus has a lot of cool architecture (particularly the Law Quad). UM also has a very nice arbortoreum within walking distance from Central Campus. There are a lot of bars in the town and some of them have good bands playing in the evening. Go to Zingerman's Deli-it's an Ann Arbor institution. Ann Arbor also has a lot of little shops and eclectic boutiques.

great info. thanks. I almost forgot about Zingerman's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT