ADVERTISEMENT

Pick your poison...it's a no win situation for JB to play man

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
to man with this roster.

Spike can't hang with some of these guards defensively. Team is small so a bigger team would just dominate down low.

If he runs a 1-3-1...he forces the other team to make shots plus he can't give fouls with this team by playing man to man.

In regards to the JB foul philosophy...I never really like the rigid philosophy and it is pretty stupid all things considered using it right now. Take your starter out and replace him with a player substantially not as talented or effective so you widen the deficit?

Doesn't seem to be a lot of sense but JB must feel like it is a good overall rule to have to make sure players don't foul. It doesn't particularly matter this year but as with most people...not a big fan of it.

Reality Man

JB's response

Afterward Beilein addressed the first-half foul situation. "If you're down by 10 and it goes to 15 then you're going to put them in, but in the last couple minutes you don't care which way it's going to go, nobody plays a guys with two fouls at the end. Then you're going to lose the whole second half. The last three minutes were key, but that's not going to make a big difference subbing at that point anyhow."

I understand his point but there is a difference between being down 7 vs. 3 and 15 vs. 10. The game is starting to slip away.

Here is the 2nd problem with his comment...he says you are going to lose the 2nd half. Well not exactly coach. We aren't talking about a team that plays physical bball. You can go to the 1-3-1 to minimize fouling. What makes you think the guy who has the 3 fouls can't avoid fouling.

I think coach JB has sort of an Izzo problem (fouling at the end). It's been a philosophy for so long that it's what he does but it doesn't always make sense to sit a guy down. It depends on the opponent, the score, the particular player and who he is guarding, his defense scheme.

So coach...you do some great great things and WE (fans) support you. I personally think you are the best coach in the history of UM bball. That being said...you need to revisit your philosophy because it is backfiring on you. Talk to Izzo.

Reality Man

That fact is we are simply way undermanned right now compared to the vast majority of the Big Ten teams. Quite frankly, I'm impressed we are able to compete in most games and pull out an occasional win here and there. The team is playing hard but we have lost way too much from last year's team and our freshman class is not good enough to replace the lost talent. I'm hoping Beilein can figure out a way to get a couple more wins before the end of the season. I don't care who is coaching this team....they are not going to win a lot of games.

That is true but would like the staff to revisit some of these

'issues' in the off season.

Remember...JB did revisit the whole not guarding the inbound passer. He is a great coach and I get the impression he is willing to adapt.

It doesn't matter this year but it will matter going forward. The Louisville game was an example where I supported sitting Burke for a little bit even though Louisville went on a run to have him for the last few minutes.

His sit down rule shouldn't be etched in stone.

Reality Man

wow

i have no problem with how they have been playing and mixing up the D. They are undermanned big time no matter what D they play.

I was at the game today. Maryland had no idea in the 1st half what to do. NONE. I'm not saying by any stretch it was brilliance by JB or the teams effort, but it is what is.

CBB is prettty simple. SCORE THE BALL

This team struggles to score with the situation they are in. They had a ton of really great looks that the offense gave them, and they could not hit the shots.

If you watch the games studiously it is very obvious they are doing what they are told and get the shots they should.

They run a dollar offense and get a nickel in return is the best analogy I come up. These players just cannot finish consistently. They do most things very well to get the shot they like, and cannot finish. it happens with young teams.

this will be a big time team next year, no doubt.

Coach JB responds

Beilein defends two-foul rule

Maryland closed the first half with a 12-0 run that came with starters Zak Irvin and Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman on the bench. Each had two fouls, and Beilein's usually steadfast rule is to sit a player for the rest of the half after the second

"There's some times it will backfire on you," Beilein said. "Those last two or three minutes all of a sudden, boom, things could blow up. At the same time, I'd like to know how many times that nobody ever noticed that that guy came out and played a great second half? That's number one.

"I think number two would be, as a coach, if I know they have that other guy in with two fouls, we are running a play right at him immediately. You have to respect that. They're going to run that play at him, and is he going to play defense the way you want him to play?

"I think another thing that happens sometimes - and I'm always trying to think about doing things a different way - is, would he really have impacted those last two or three minutes? Seriously, we had two or three really good looks that didn't go in. [Andrew] Dakich and [Sean] Lonergan didn't hurt us during that time. Maryland hurt us.

"… I'm going to be wrong sometimes, but I think, over time, we've done a pretty good job with that."

My response...I hear you..it depends on the situation. My question to the coach...if you have a mature player...like a Burke...what makes you think he is going to foul out with 3 or 4 fouls?

See here the problem with having a standard procedure. You may beat yourself by taking out a very good player than letting the game play out. What is the thought process of having a guy on the bench?

I think JB is contradicting himself. If the end of the 1st half is important...then it's more important to win the end of half then offset another potential foul depending on the opponent, etc.

Reality Man

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT