ADVERTISEMENT

OT Lebron Overrated as usual....

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
Shooting 50-129 in this series.
38%
32 shot attempts per game not counting times he was fouled in the act of shooting.

He is a great, great player.
His lack of efficency throughout his entire career, especially the playoffs is staggering.

I will never consider him a better overall player or winner in the modern era than Magic, Bird, Jordan, Duncan; maybe even Olajuwon.

These guys all had teams built around them, with nowhere near the massive free agency poaching or massive beneficial trades Lebron has benefited from in his three NBA stints, two with Cleveland.

I would even argue the old pound for pound cliche that Isiah Thomas was as valuable and overall as successful as Lebron given the competition of his era and the fact that he has the same number of titles with a team built around him rather than the way Lebron has found success.

Lack of efficiency throughout his career?? Since the 07-08 season he was ranked first in player efficiency rating until this season where he finished sixth.

I am not a huge fan of LeBron, I will start by saying that. It has nothing to do with the fact that he's from Ohio, etc - it's just that the "decision" really turned me off against him. However, I am not sure why PER even matters - his team is so depleted right now that he is literally carrying the entire team on his back. I was thinking about this the other day - how in god's name have the Cavs won 2 games against the Warriors (well Game 3 was because the Warriors could not hit a shot) but you replace LeBron with any other player in the league today and the series would be over - GS 4 - Cavs 0. He has single handedly won them 2 games and has given them a chance. In fact, other the MJ I am not sure who else could have willed his team to those 2 wins - not even Kobe. On the flip side if Love & Kyrie were healthy, the series would have been over in a sweep as well.

You can say what you may about his stats, etc but when all is said and done LeBron will go down as the 2nd or 3rd best player of all-time! Hats off to the guy - he is one hell of a player though still does not have that killer instinct I used to see in MJ or Kobe.

BTW - Maelfan, how could you even mention LeBron and Olajuwan in the same sentence??? They are not even in the same league...LeBron, who still has another 4-5 solid years left as accomplished far more then Hakeem ever did.

I live in the Bay Area so rooting for the Warriors tonight but man, Cavs are a tough tough out

Has to be so aggressive with all the injuries. I see LJ as a magic type of player but now he is having to be more of a Jordan type (scoring).

LJ is a fantastic all time player.

Reality Man

You really do not understand BB and should be ashamed of this post...clown post

38%
32 shot attempts per game not counting times he was fouled in the act of shooting.

His lack of efficency throughout his entire career, especially the playoffs is staggering.

I will never consider him a better overall player or winner in the modern era than Magic, Bird, Jordan, Duncan; maybe even Olajuwon.

These guys all had teams built around them, with nowhere near the massive free agency poaching or massive beneficial trades Lebron has benefited from in his three NBA stints, two with Cleveland.

I would even argue the old pound for pound cliche that Isiah Thomas was as valuable and overall as successful as Lebron given the competition of his era and the fact that he has the same number of titles with a team built around him rather than the way Lebron has found success.

I disagree. Have you ever played any competitive basketball? Cmon, man.

A lot of ESPN kool aid being drank here ..... the NBA is a joke .... the league and ESPN have handed him everything since day one .... great player??? .... sure .... the league made sure to surround him with all stars ..... couldn't have a marquee player missing playoffs and zero championships .... I see people buying everything ESPN is selling .... they promote who they want ... and they get all the calls ... that would be Lebron ... he proved in his 1st Cleveland stint that he needs lots of help ..... overrated is a relative term .... for Lebron .... if the shoe fits

I agree. Lebron needs help to win a championship. Just like every other top player in NBA history.

He came in after highschool and from day one, where he scored 25 points agains Sacramento, then averaged 21 points, 5 1/2 rebounds, and six assists for the season.

He goes to Cleveland which was the worst team in the league and in a few seasons with little supporting talent takes them to the finals. Leaves Cleveland and they are one of the worst teams in the league from the time he leaves until he comes back, where they make it back to the finals. And while he's in Miami he leads the team to the finals his first year, wins two Championships in four years.

I agree, he gets a lot of hype. He also lives up to it. Tell me right now if you keep all the rest of the Cavs in this Finals (so no Irving or Love) and add Scottie Pippen in his prime, this Series wasn't over in 5. Now keep the same group minus Pippen, and switch Lebron and Jordan. At best, at best, Jordan would be in the same spot. I actually think they would be worse.

I agree. Lebron needs help to win a championship. Just like every other top player in NBA history.

He came in after highschool and from day one, where he scored 25 points agains Sacramento, then averaged 21 points, 5 1/2 rebounds, and six assists for the season.

He goes to Cleveland which was the worst team in the league and in a few seasons with little supporting talent takes them to the finals. Leaves Cleveland and they are one of the worst teams in the league from the time he leaves until he comes back, where they make it back to the finals. And while he's in Miami he leads the team to the finals his first year, wins two Championships in four years.

I agree, he gets a lot of hype. He also lives up to it. Tell me right now if you keep all the rest of the Cavs in this Finals (so no Irving or Love) and add Scottie Pippen in his prime, this Series wasn't over in 5. Now keep the same group minus Pippen, and switch Lebron and Jordan. At best, at best, Jordan would be in the same spot. I actually think they would be worse.

Lebron couldn't tie Jordan's shoes ... it is a totally different league today .... all prima donnas are given every call not to mention a free lane to the basket without any fear
If Lebron played in the late 80's early 90's the Pistons/Celtics/Bulls would've flattened him and he would have to develop a more rounded game ..... Lebron is not even close to being the same player if he couldn't drive to the hoop at will without worrying about getting floored

The NBA today is a joke and the league promotes who they want .... it has been sissified ... all about $$$$ and whose jerseys they can sell

Reactions: Joe Urka
38%

"Winner" is a pretty easily defined description that should be defined by wins and losses. "Overrated" involves the perception of others, which is difficult to quantify. I think he's generally overrated, but he's still an amazing player that will finish his career as one of the best ever. But then again, I also think Jordan is overrated so many who agree with me on LeBron would say I'm crazy on MJ. NO ONE in history was good enough to carry that Cavs team past GS.

Last edited:
Lebron couldn't tie Jordan's shoes ... it is a totally different league today .... all prima donnas are given every call not to mention a free lane to the basket without any fear
If Lebron played in the late 80's early 90's the Pistons/Celtics/Bulls would've flattened him and he would have to develop a more rounded game ..... Lebron is not even close to being the same player if he couldn't drive to the hoop at will without worrying about getting floored

The NBA today is a joke and the league promotes who they want .... it has been sissified ... all about $$$$ and whose jerseys they can sell

I'm going to assume that you are being honest about how you feel in your post. If so, that either makes you pretty stupid for watching something that you dislike so much, the NBA in 2015. Or if you don't watch the NBA because you hate it so much, how can you make an accurate statement, even if it's just your opinion?

"Winner" is a pretty easily defined description that should be defined by wins and losses. "Overrated" involves the perception of others, which is difficult to quantify. I think he's generally overrated, but he's still an amazing player that will finish his career as one of the best ever. But then again, I also think Jordan is overrated so many who agree with me on LeBron would say I'm crazy on MJ. NO ONE in history was good enough to carry that Cavs team past GS.

You thought MJ was overrated? You must be a Pistons fan speaking out of hate versus true talent. So who in your opinion is not overrated? Who in the past 30 years has even come close to MJ??? #baffled

I'm going to assume that you are being honest about how you feel in your post. If so, that either makes you pretty stupid for watching something that you dislike so much, the NBA in 2015. Or if you don't watch the NBA because you hate it so much, how can you make an accurate statement, even if it's just your opinion?

I don't think he watches the NBA. Games evolve, players evolve, sports evolve. Football even today is a lot safer then it was a decade ago, etc. You can't compare generations or eras because people will always have more access to technology, research, etc. At the end of the day there has been no player in the past decade that even comes close to challenging LeBron. Like I said, I don't like him but it's hard to argue with his talent. The man still has another 2-3 years of prime basketball where he can take over games and he will go down as a Top 3 player when all is said and done. Fortunately for LeBron his greatness won't be predicated on him tying other people's shoelaces.

I agree with your post Tarun with the exception of liking or disliking a player like Lebron. I used to make such statements but now I may root for a player or against one, but liking or disliking on a personal level doesn't enter into the equation.

The reasons being 99.9% of the time I don't know the player on a personal level. I've never been a nationally elite or professional athlete, a celebrity, or make double digit millions as a 18-22 year old. So to judge them without knowing how I would act in a similar situation seems a bit hypocritical.

Fair point - I don't have any personal ties to him - I do not cheer for him to succeed or win on the basketball court - how's that?

I don't watch the NBA hardly at all any more .... but I check in from time to time .... every time it is the same garbage .... I can watch a 5 minute span and see incorrect calls (favoring Lebron's team) and I watched every minute of basketball in the 80's 90's .... nobody can say Lebron doesn't get the calls all day every day from the league .... I can watch ESPN and they pump Lebron and show every shot he makes ....watch sportscenter and he's the greatest player EVER ..... (you can't see that is what ESPN wants everyone to believe - it's called marketing) .... than I can look at the stat sheet .... Like the finals last game .... 2-10 from 3 (wide open looks too)..... damn near 40 shots .... every minute of finals I watched was a clear out for Lebron .... Any top player for any team could score 20+ points a night with that many shots

Either your making stupid statements because you missed the Jordan era or you fail to see the obvious about today's NBA ... or both

And no I'm not a Jordan fan

Fair point - I don't have any personal ties to him - I do not cheer for him to succeed or win on the basketball court - how's that?

No problem. I have no problem with cheering for or against a player on the court or field, just the reason som people claim they do.

I don't watch the NBA hardly at all any more .... but I check in from time to time .... every time it is the same garbage .... I can watch a 5 minute span and see incorrect calls (favoring Lebron's team) and I watched every minute of basketball in the 80's 90's .... nobody can say Lebron doesn't get the calls all day every day from the league .... I can watch ESPN and they pump Lebron and show every shot he makes ....watch sportscenter and he's the greatest player EVER ..... (you can't see that is what ESPN wants everyone to believe - it's called marketing) .... than I can look at the stat sheet .... Like the finals last game .... 2-10 from 3 (wide open looks too)..... damn near 40 shots .... every minute of finals I watched was a clear out for Lebron .... Any top player for any team could score 20+ points a night with that many shots

Either your making stupid statements because you missed the Jordan era or you fail to see the obvious about today's NBA ... or both

And no I'm not a Jordan fan

Didn't miss the Jordan era. I remember staying up after the 11:00 news to watch the Sonics and Bullets play in the NBA Championship via tape delay. Loved the Celtics, Lakers, And Sixers of the eighties.

I remember some very boring NBA play pre-Magic and Bird.

The reason James took so many shots in the series against the Warriors is because he had to. If Irving and Love was there he wouldn't have taken so many shots. No other player on his team could create their own shot so he had to drive and either shoot or pass off. If his defender played off, he had to shoot.

Despite all that, do you realize that he led both teams in assists- as well as scoring and rebounds. Do you know how many more assists he would have had if his teammates were hitting their shots?

And you think the star players of the eighties and nineties didn't get calls in their favor?

See if you could find a video of Magic, Bird, and Jordan getting their picture taken before the first Dream Team.

Magic squeezed into the picture then backed off as he joked,"I better not get to close to Michael or I might get called for a foul."

Jordan smiled and joked back, "What are you talking about, you haven't had a foul called on you in five years."

A lot of ESPN kool aid being drank here ..... the NBA is a joke .... the league and ESPN have handed him everything since day one .... great player??? .... sure .... the league made sure to surround him with all stars ..... couldn't have a marquee player missing playoffs and zero championships .... I see people buying everything ESPN is selling .... they promote who they want ... and they get all the calls ... that would be Lebron ... he proved in his 1st Cleveland stint that he needs lots of help ..... overrated is a relative term .... for Lebron .... if the shoe fits
Either you you have a deep hatred for LeBron James or you don't have a clue about basketball or any team sports. One person can not win a championship by himself. Also, look at the amount of minutes he played in the finals that had a lot to dowith his sub par shooting percentage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT