ADVERTISEMENT

OT: absurd quote of the day, from N. Dumb & Kelly

ArrowheadBlue

Heisman
May 29, 2001
Notre Dame's quarterback competition between senior Malik Zaire will likely continue into the fall and head coach Brian Kelly said Wednesday he would take that quarterback situation over any other team in the country - including national champion Ohio State.

"There are certain areas that I think at the quarterback position, maybe other than Ohio State, I would take our two quarterbacks," Kelly said per BlueandGold.com. "I would take our two over Ohio State's, but in terms of depth, I don't know that anybody has a better situation than we do with the two quarterbacks that we have."

Golson and Zaire have certainly had their moments on the field over the past few seasons, but do they really stack up against Ohio State's Cardale Jones?

Miller was the Big Ten offensive player of the year in 2012 and 2013, but was injured prior to the 2014 season. With Miller out, Barrett stepped into the starting role and thrived with 2,834 yards and 34 touchdowns passing, 938 yards and 11 touchdowns on the ground and an 11-1 record as a redshirt freshman. Barrett went down with a fractured ankle in the Buckeyes' regular season finale, and Jones, a redshirt sophomore, stepped in and led the Buckeyes to a Big Ten title over Wisconsin, a national semifinal win over Alabama and a national championship victory over Oregon.

For Notre Dame, Golson led the team to a national title game appearance as a redshirt freshman in 2012 and threw for 3,445 yards, 29 touchdowns last season (he was suspended for the 2013 season). However, after throwing 14 interceptions and losing eight fumbles last year, Kelly gave Zaire his first career start against LSU in the Music City Bowl.

Though Golson was rotated in throughout the game, Zaire's mix of run and pass helped the Irish pull out a 31-28 victory. Since then, the two have been competing for the starting role.

Every coach will tell you that having two capable starters at quarterback is a good problem to have, but Ohio State has three. The comparison between Notre Dame and OSU may sound silly, but it had to be a confidence boost for Golson and Zaire to know that their head coach holds them in such high regard.

This post was edited on 4/15 8:35 PM by ArrowheadBlue

There is no coach in america that wouldn't change their QB situation with Ohio State's. There is also no coach in America that should admit that to the press.

Originally posted by Heisenburg:
There is no coach in america that wouldn't change their QB situation with Ohio State's. There is also no coach in America that should admit that to the press.
I don't know that I'd go that far. No coach in America that wouldn't change their QB situation, ONLY if they ran a similar offense to what Urban runs. Barrett in a pro style? No thanks.

Thats just Kelly's opionon nothing else..

Michigan will have the same problem next year. As soon as Wolvs get players at QB on campus.GO BLUE....

Originally posted by goblue31602:

I don't know that I'd go that far. No coach in America that wouldn't change their QB situation, ONLY if they ran a similar offense to what Urban runs. Barrett in a pro style? No thanks.
None of the 3 guys abilities would be fully taken advantage of in a pro-style offense.

Why do you say no to Pro Style Barrett? He did pretty much everything well last year. His pocket awareness was much much better than I expected.

If one of the guys wouldn't do well as a Pro Style guy it would be Braxton.

Re: Thats just Kelly's opionon nothing else..

ND's situation is beyond repair with the awful coach they have

he's bullshitting which is understandable but. ..

It's still not add absurd as hoke saying Johnny manziel would sit the bench behind gardner.

Realistically, I don't think that OSU's QB situation is as deep as some would think.

I don't think that Braxton Miller will be back, if he graduates.

To have a chance in the NFL, he will have to play this fall. I was listening to Paul Finebaum about a week ago and he stated that Miller was transferring to a SEC school, if he graduates. Finebaum said that he knew which team it was, but would not divulge it. Some may or may not like Finebaum and he is an Alabama homer, but he generally knows what he is talking about.

Can Barrett physically play this fall? He might be ready, but another shot could knock him out.

Thus, Cardale has to be the guy. Is he really this good or were these last three games an anomaly?

I don't know but it is difficult to string together 12 good games. OSU has lots of talent around whomever is the QB and their schedule is not too hard, so they may make it through with one or no losses.

If Cardale gets hurt, I think they struggle with teams with a good defense.

you're kidding, right

OSU, which is not my favorite team by miles, showed something I thought was impossible. Winning a NC with a third string rarely used QB. He put the nail in UM. Not too many schools would pass on OSU's QB situation. What is the combined record of QB #2 and #3 anyway?

It's hard to even conceive of this kind of qb wealth. The 2 time big ten offensive player of the year. .. is probably 3rd string. The guy who is undefeated with a big ten and a national championship may very well be 2nd string.

Yeah, he would be horrible in a pro-style offense. No accuracy, lousy decision making, lack of leadership, and has really reached his peak as a redshirt freshman. Not likely to get any better.

Obviously Kelly just plugging his own guys. Probably would have been better to say something along the lines of, "Everyone talks about the great situation at OSU, but I am equally happy about what we have here."

Originally posted by klemman:

Obviously Kelly just plugging his own guys. Probably would have been better to say something along the lines of, "Everyone talks about the great situation at OSU, but I am equally happy about what we have here."
That's the way I see it, too. Kelly is happy to have two QB's that are each capable of running his full offense, which really hasn't been the case for him at ND before this season. He probably should have left it at that. The comparison to tOSU's situation is irrelevant, and would have been better left unsaid.

But I'd venture there was a purpose behind Kelly's statement, though it did not play well in the public domain: he wants to keep both QBs engaged and in the program, as there have already been rumbles that the loser of the starting QB battle may transfer.

This post was edited on 4/19 9:03 AM by domer1976

Yeah, he would be horrible in a pro-style offense. No accuracy, lousy decision making, lack of leadership, and has really reached his peak as a redshirt freshman. Not likely to get any better.
Glad we can agree on that.

Elliott? No speed, no power, no vision, and chokes in the big games. I also expect that now that he has two healthy wrists so that he can actually switch the arma in which he's carrying tha ball, and throw an occasional stiff arm, he'll be much less effective this season.

Ok goblue31602, all in good fun and I can go stupid post for stupid post all day long. But you seemed serious in stating that Barrett only has VALUE in Urban's system. I'm putting you on the spot... Justify your statement.

Elliott? No speed, no power, no vision, and chokes in the big games. I also expect that now that he has two healthy wrists so that he can actually switch the arma in which he's carrying tha ball, and throw an occasional stiff arm, he'll be much less effective this season.

Ok goblue31602, all in good fun and I can go stupid post for stupid post all day long. But you seemed serious in stating that Barrett only has VALUE in Urban's system. I'm putting you on the spot... Justify your statement.
How many snaps did Barrett take from under center? Can he receive a snap, make a precise 5 step drop, and get the ball out to the receiver while reading the defense? I'm not saying he's a bad QB, I'm saying that teams who run a pro style system would have to adapt to him if they wanted to succeed, he wouldn't fit in their current system in as productive a way. Look at Tim Tebow. An absolute STUD for Meyer, and teams have had to change their offense to try and get him to fit in the NFL.

Speed is a major factor in spread offenses like Meyer's. A lot of times the QB is making one read and then throwing the ball. Can he make multiple reads on every play? There is a reason a lot of spread QB's put up gaudy #'s and completion percentages in college, and struggle in the NFL.

Again, I'm not saying that Barrett is a bad QB. The point of this post was that anyone would take OSU's QB's. I don't think pro style teams would accept that proposition, you can't just take a guy who takes ~95% of his snaps from shotgun and just toss him under center and expect the same results.

Here's the problem. You made an "absolute" comment- "Barett in a Pro-Style? No thanks" then as part of your explanation, you bring up a lot of questions that by your own admission, you don't have an absolute answer.

I don't know if Bareett can perform equally well in a 5-step drop or get out the ball while reading a defense. No one knows if he can either. No one knew if he could run the read-option as effectively as he did until he did.

Here's what was known before he came to OSU and what we learned last season: great leader, disciplined, relentlessly studies, a quick release, tends to distribute the ball to a variety of receivers, makes good decisions, and has decent arm strength. It seems to me that many of those attributes translated very well to a Pro-System.

Add that he was just a freshman last season, so his learning curve is still on the rise.

As far as Tebow being a stud under Meyer... Meyer ran the system that best fit Tebow, just like he ran the system that best fit Braxton Miller, Barrett, Cardale Jones, Chris Leak,- who couldn't run to save his life, and Alex Smith. Tebow failed in the NFL because of Tebow, not Meyer.

In college and the pro's , more and more teams are running spread principles. I heard on the radio this morning that there are actually more snaps in the NFL from the shot gun than under center. We are seeing the same thing at Alabama and Florida State. We will continue to see that with other so called pro-style schemes. So I think Barrett would be a nice piece to many pro-style coordinators game plans.

Look at it this way. If Braxton Miller had a healthy shoulder, how many pro-style college teams would take him as a graduate transfer? Maybe Alabama, Florida State, Penn State, and I even heard some posters on this board about taking him. And he's less of a fit for tha type of an offense than Barrett.

ADVERTISEMENT