ADVERTISEMENT

Niagara recap

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
Thirteen days without a game wasn’t enough to stop Michigan’s potent offense on Friday night at Yost Arena.

Having two weeks off since their last regular season game, a 4-0 loss to Robert Morris, the Wolverines exploded for three goals in the first 11 minutes of their Friday night home contest with Niagara and never looked back, besting the Purple Eagles, 7-3.

Kyle Connor led the Michigan attack with two first period goals. Six other goal scorers for Michigan represented a balanced offensive attack. Justin Selman, Cooper Marody, Tyler Motte, Tony Calderone and Zach Werenski added singles in Michigan’s offensive barrage.

"Let’s face it, a lot of those pucks were pucks that needed to get through from the point before we could have a chance to score on a deflection or a rebound," said Michigan coach Red Berenson. “I thought that was the key to the game, just getting our shots through from the point.”

Goaltending has been a season-long concern for Michigan with netminders Steve Racine and Zach Nagelvoort unable to establish a foothold as a clear-cut starter. Racine made a series of big stops early in the game before Michigan established a commanding lead. Racine stopped 21 of 23 shots directed his way.

“I’m a critic of our players if we don’t play really well,” said Berenson, who coached his 1300th game for the Wolverines. “On team defense, three goals against at home again. Not good enough. They got a three on one chance. I thought Racine was fine, but I can’t say we were especially good defensively.”

Connor was the early catalyst, not only bagging two of the three openings goals, but supplying consistent offensive pressure as Michigan established a 3-0 lead after the first period.

Wolverines Marody and Motte added to the total in the middle period before Niagara added a late goal.

The teams traded third period goals, two each.

Niagara coach Dave Burkholder acknowledged his team faced a tall order.

“We didn't quit,” said Burkholder. “We kept competing, kept moving our feet, finishing our checks. You've got to find some positives somewhere. A lot of it is that that's how 12 NHL picks (for Michigan) should look. They're pretty darned good. We didn't answer for it at times, but overall, our compete level was good.”

“We’re supposed to be the better team on paper,” said Berenson, “and I thought we were.”

So on another board, the D effort was put very well- they appeared to be more aware of what they should be doing. Not to say they were obviously better- as much of the game they did look good. But it was Niagara. And the gaffes that led to goals were tough to see. Mostly seeing Werensky get caught up in a play like that. How are we getting into odd man rushes when on the PP???

Still, the D did a better job moving the puck in our zone.

The offense, though. wow. As I saw it, the opening play, which looked to be scripted, set the tone for the most of the game. We are used to seeing team cycle the puck up and down the boards- and we got to see a very different cycling- where they used the D and the players in the slot to move the puck and get opportunities. Everyone was moving, and they seemed to be anticipating what to do.

I hope they can do that for the rest of the season- it sure make watching them a LOT of fun.

So on another board, the D effort was put very well- they appeared to be more aware of what they should be doing. Not to say they were obviously better- as much of the game they did look good. But it was Niagara. And the gaffes that led to goals were tough to see. Mostly seeing Werensky get caught up in a play like that. How are we getting into odd man rushes when on the PP???

Still, the D did a better job moving the puck in our zone.

The offense, though. wow. As I saw it, the opening play, which looked to be scripted, set the tone for the most of the game. We are used to seeing team cycle the puck up and down the boards- and we got to see a very different cycling- where they used the D and the players in the slot to move the puck and get opportunities. Everyone was moving, and they seemed to be anticipating what to do.

I hope they can do that for the rest of the season- it sure make watching them a LOT of fun.

And, I thought Racine played better than he was given credit for. He made several one-on-one saves in the first period when the outcome was more in doubt.

Offensively, they are great fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT