ADVERTISEMENT

Moo-Us signature win doesn't look so hot

ArrowheadBlue

Heisman
May 29, 2001
everyone went nuts when Oregon lost at E. Lansing. Utah crushes O in Eugene. Not so impressed with that signature win now, especially when we learned the Duck QB had a broken index finger. Oregon has no defense and everyone can tell it was last year's QB who made the offense. Oregon loses at least 2 more games.

everyone went nuts when Oregon lost at E. Lansing. Utah crushes O in Eugene. Not so impressed with that signature win now, especially when we learned the Duck QB had a broken index finger. Oregon has no defense and everyone can tell it was last year's QB who made the offense. Oregon loses at least 2 more games.

Utah took Oregon to the Cleaners yesterday, and we hung in there with Utah. Maybe UM would have won with a few brakes. Oregon needed more than a few breaks yesterday. They needed a complete overhaul. We stay Hungry and healthy we have a great footing being poured by Jim and his staff. GBGB"74

we think alike, at least. Moo U is suspect but is #2 until proven otherwise (i.e. a UM win over them).

Agree - the reality is that MSU now has the easiest path to maintaining their rankings. Basically only 2 teams have a realistic chance of challenging them - Michigan and OSU since Penn State is at home and Sparty will win that game. Essentially they have 2 tough games through the next 8...I think no other team in the Top 10 has as easy a schedule as Sparty moving forward.

This is where I think pre-season rankings are pathetic. Take for instance the fact that if we beat and undefeated Northwestern we will still be ranked behind Stanford even though we will have the exact same record and the 1 team we would have played in common - NW - we would have beaten and they would have lost. In fact, odds are if we beat MSU there is a chance they won't fall below us. I think the rankings formula will change over time where teams should not be ranked until October because pre-season biases do dictate how much a team falls or rises based on zero knowledge of a team.

Sparty - however, is #2 until proven otherwise. Ironically, it would not shock me if Utah jumps up the poll if they keep winning they way they are and push out a BIG team.

I don't know.. CMU hung w/ Sparty until the 4th quarter. Cook looked like recycled throw up & was thoroughly outplayed by CMUs QB. Sparty could EASILY lose to someone in B1G play besides UM or OSU.

Obsessed much? Enjoy your win and momentum..but you won't be breathing the same lofty air as the Michigan State Spartans for quite some time.

In the meantime: "Scoreboard".

Oh...and don't bother pissing us off again with player comments or stakes. You'll just make things worse for yourself in front of your library crowd.
Obsessed much? Enjoy your win and momentum..but you won't be breathing the same lofty air as the Michigan State Spartans for quite some time.

Oh...and don't bother pissing us off again with player comments or stakes. You'll just make things worse for yourself in front of your library crowd.

"Obsessed much". Looks like the only one obsessed is you. You're on the UM posting board warning everyone not to piss you off. You probably should go
back to the Underground Bunker

The only one that seems to be "obsessed" is you. When you troll the UM posting board and warn people not to piss you off, what is that? Maybe you should
just go back to The Underground Bunker with Comperoni the dork and not hang out over here all the time (obsessing).

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
"Obsessed much". Looks like the only one obsessed is you. You're on the UM posting board warning everyone not to piss you off. You probably should go
back to the Underground Bunker

The only one that seems to be "obsessed" is you. When you troll the UM posting board and warn people not to piss you off, what is that? Maybe you should
just go back to The Underground Bunker with Comperoni the dork and not hang out over here all the time (obsessing).
That was weak, even for the ironically named spartoon glory.

Those comparative scores can't be dismissed. Looks like Wolverines quite a bit better than advertised and Spartans quite a bit worse. MSU looks bad on defense, mediocre on offense; Michigan solid on both sides of the ball. But it's still early. That game on Oct. 17 is starting to look very interesting. It will determine a lot going forward.

Utah took Oregon to the Cleaners yesterday, and we hung in there with Utah. Maybe UM would have won with a few brakes. Oregon needed more than a few breaks yesterday. They needed a complete overhaul. We stay Hungry and healthy we have a great footing being poured by Jim and his staff. GBGB"74
Breaks, please. I would not give MSU a pass in the Nebraska game, they do not play well there. Armstrong has been a passing fool and MSU has a very suspect pass defense. Last time there MSU got 5-6 turnovers and it was a close game.

Breaks, please. I would not give MSU a pass in the Nebraska game, they do not play well there. Armstrong has been a passing fool and MSU has a very suspect pass defense. Last time there MSU got 5-6 turnovers and it was a close game.
MSU may be looking at 2 losses before the Spartans go to Columbus in late November. Both Michigan and Nebraska are looking "iffy" at best. But one thing: MSU coaches have proven that they can fix week spots and identify weaknesses in the opposition. But they are going to have to coach that team up quite a bit in order to make a run for the playoffs. Right now, it isn't there.

MSU may be looking at 2 losses before the Spartans go to Columbus in late November. Both Michigan and Nebraska are looking "iffy" at best. But one thing: MSU coaches have proven that they can fix week spots and identify weaknesses in the opposition. But they are going to have to coach that team up quite a bit in order to make a run for the playoffs. Right now, it isn't there.
I agree, this MSU team has holes and does not look playoff worthy right now. However, the big ten is very weak and MSU could still find their way in if they beat OSU.

yep, you're totally correct. It's fun thumping the chest after UM's win but Oct. 17 is test day. MSU still has to beat UM and I think this staff (according to reports out of Salt Lake and elsewhere) no how to prepare wrinkles for each opponent.

Neither does OSU's.

If both teams started the season outside of the top 25, they might be up to 15th or 16th.

It always makes me laugh when I hear my Spartan brothers say how the preseason rankings don't matter. That's a crock. They sure as hell do matter.

It will sort itself out at the end of the season. If VaTech and Oregon both end up with 4-5 losses, both OSU and MSU will slide down the polls. Challenge is I don't see any SEC or PAC team staying undefeated. UCLA looked great last week but they looked terrible against BYU and will likely get thumped by USC. Ole MIss will drop a game or 2 as will likely LSU. Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State all have to play each other so only 1 can emerge from that group.

At the end of the day the BIG teams played a decent Out of Conference schedule but the only big wins that remains impressive are NW's wins over Stanford and Duke. Wins over VaTech, Oregon, BYU seem average at best. And losses to Utah, Alabama and Miami won't help.

You are right pre-season polls do matter a lot which is a shame. I like Herbie's suggestion of not even having polls for the first 5 weeks of the season and then deciding from there. Like I said, the fact that USC is ranked ahead of Stanford despite the same record and losing to Stanford at home baffles me. Early season polls are dumb.

IT WILL SORT ITSELF OUT AT THE END OF THE SEASON. If VaTech and Oregon both end up with 4-5 losses, both OSU and MSU will slide down the polls. Challenge is I don't see any SEC or PAC team staying undefeated. UCLA looked great last week but they looked terrible against BYU and will likely get thumped by USC. Ole MIss will drop a game or 2 as will likely LSU. Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State all have to play each other so only 1 can emerge from that group.

At the end of the day the BIG teams played a decent Out of Conference schedule but the only big wins that remains impressive are NW's wins over Stanford and Duke. Wins over VaTech, Oregon, BYU seem average at best. And losses to Utah, Alabama and Miami won't help.

You are right pre-season polls do matter a lot which is a shame. I like Herbie's suggestion of not even having polls for the first 5 weeks of the season and then deciding from there. Like I said, the fact that USC is ranked ahead of Stanford despite the same record and losing to Stanford at home baffles me. Early season polls are dumb.

Wish people could understand your point better. No sense in bitching, complaining or thumping your chest at this point. Let the season take its course. Then lets tally it up at the end & see who deserves praise or criticism. Who knows, maybe Oregon runs the table the rest of the way & comes back out of the PAC 12. Maybe Utah chokes it off the rest of the way. Maybe Sparty rolls & we lose at Maryland, at Minny, get thumped by Sparty & Bucknuts. Who knows?? All I know is In addition to us getting a road W this weekend hope like hell Clemson dumps ND! ;)

Wish people could understand your point better. No sense in bitching, complaining or thumping your chest at this point. Let the season take its course. Then lets tally it up at the end & see who deserves praise or criticism. Who knows, maybe Oregon runs the table the rest of the way & comes back out of the PAC 12. Maybe Utah chokes it off the rest of the way. Maybe Sparty rolls & we lose at Maryland, at Minny, get thumped by Sparty & Bucknuts. Who knows?? All I know is In addition to us getting a road W this weekend hope like hell Clemson dumps ND! ;)
Yeah, ND needs to lose. After Clemson, the last two real threats to ND are USC and Stanford. If ND splits those games, there is a damn good chance they make the playoffs.

Ia
You throw out a vaque response, and then follow up with

Thanks for putting the (*) in your fantastic post. Your family must be proud of you.
I hope so. Your reading teacher must be proud of you as well. I'll try not to be "vaque" in the future.
I apologize for the poor word choice. Your post was stupid, but no need to be vulgar.

Last edited:
Ia

I hope so. Your reading teacher must be proud of you as well. I'll try not to be "vaque" in the future.
I apologize for the poor word choice. Your post was stupid, but no need to be vulgar.

How was I vulgar? I'm the one who didn't need a punctuation mark in my response.

You really DO struggle with reading comprehension. I was referring to my post. Yours was merely stupid, not vulgar.

Maybe you should actually reread your posts. You didn't say there was no need for "me" to be vulgar, so who knows what you're referring to.
And what makes my post stupid (seems to be your favorite word). If your posts had more clarity, none of this would even be an issue.

Maybe you should actually reread your posts. You didn't say there was no need for "me" to be vulgar, so who knows what you're referring to.
And what makes my post stupid (seems to be your favorite word). If your posts had more clarity, none of this would even be an issue.
Or if you could read at better than a 3rd grade level. That's not my fault.
Okay, I'll repost so you can (hopefully) get it-
You (DRC) really do struggle with reading comprehension. I (CBF) was referring to my (CBF's) post. Yours (DRC's) was merely stupid, not vulgar.
I (CBF) hope this helps. Please try (DRC) to get better at the whole reading thing, I (CBF) imagine it's holding you (DRC) back being so far below average in that area.
I (CBF) will also do my (CBF's) best to not be "vaque" anymore.

Or if you could read at better than a 3rd grade level. That's not my fault.
Okay, I'll repost so you can (hopefully) get it-
You (DRC) really do struggle with reading comprehension. I (CBF) was referring to my (CBF's) post. Yours (DRC's) was merely stupid, not vulgar.
I (CBF) hope this helps. Please try (DRC) to get better at the whole reading thing, I (CBF) imagine it's holding you (DRC) back being so far below average in that area.
I (CBF) will also do my (CBF's) best to not be "vaque" anymore.

Well, at least you got the message. Good job CBF.

It's clear that MSU is just not a very good football team: not a top 4 team, not a top 10 team, and probably not a top 20 team. Like Oregon, they were over rated coming into the season. They looked good on paper; but mediocre on the field. They will lose at least 3 games this year, probably to Michigan, maybe to Indiana and/or Nebraska, and certainly to Ohio State. The idea that MSU can get to the Ohio State game unbeaten is a fantasy. OSU is in a different category: Bucks have a top defense that can bail out the offense until it gets untracked. MSU has no fall back, as will be obvious when they begin to face competitive teams.

It's clear that MSU is just not a very good football team: not a top 4 team, not a top 10 team, and probably not a top 20 team. Like Oregon, they were over rated coming into the season. They looked good on paper; but mediocre on the field. They will lose at least 3 games this year, probably to Michigan, maybe to Indiana and/or Nebraska, and certainly to Ohio State. The idea that MSU can get to the Ohio State game unbeaten is a fantasy. OSU is in a different category: Bucks have a top defense that can bail out the offense until it gets untracked. MSU has no fall back, as will be obvious when they begin to face competitive teams.

I'd put them around 15-20.

They are only #2 because they started high in the preseason. The polling system is silly and needs to be fixed. Mostly the pollsters need to grow some balls and move teams up and down the poll much more than they do now. It's not that hard. Just because a team is #2 doesn't mean you leave them there unless they lose. There are other variables, you idiots.

Each poll should completely disregard the previous poll and just look at this week's games combined with the season as a whole. Do not look at the previous polls at all. If you start off with the previous week's poll, you are a retarded person and bound to screw up this week's poll.

DRC has extreme trouble reading at better than a 3rd grade level, but he (DRC) is right. Spartoon nation is probably getting more anxious by the game. I (CBF) hope he (DRC) doesn't find this too complex to understand.

When you're dealing with 3rd grader, you don't need to read at a higher level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT