ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Dawkins has the potential to be the biggest steal

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
of the JB tenure since Burke. Dawkins reminds me more and more of THJ by the day.

I like Dawkins when I saw his film....pure shooter for the JB system. What I really like going forward is he looks to be the 3 pt shooter which allows Irvin not to have to 'chuck' 3 pointers quite as much. Like that Irvin is trying to diversify his game but when he shoots 3 pt shots...he looks like he consistently shoots in the low 20's.

I'd rather see Dawkins and hopefully LeVERT shooting those 3 pt shots. We will see about Robinson.

Starting to think Chatman is going to be a role player for this team and should be moved away from the #4 spot. Have him player out on top and his length can minimize his defensive liabilities when playing the #3.

Here is how I see things playing out for next year. I am yet to be convinced that LeVERT is leaving.

PG (Walton) and Albrecht. Whoever is playing better...plays. I see a dual role. I really do. Albrecht is getting better and better. Fierce competition and don't believe they will see the floor at the same time but on very rare occasion.

SG....LeVERT (most minutes)
SF...Dawkins (30 min)...Robinson & Chatman
PF...Irvin (May plug in Wagner & Wilson)
C...Doyle + Donnal & Wilson

I see LeVERT & Dawkins as playing major minutes because they are the most consistent scorers. If you can make 3 pt shots...then you play in this system and Dawkins is proving you can't leave him off the floor. As I mentioned again...I just don't see LeVERT leaving..not just because of rumors but a number of factors.

The two best players on this team right now...at this moment are LeVERT and Dawkins. Any disagreement? Assume everyone was healthy...here is how I would rank the majority of guys.

1. LeVERT
2. Dawkins
3. Walton
4. Albrecht/Irvin
5. Doyle
6. MAAR/Max B
7. Donnal

Throw in Wagner & Robinson and someone is going to be pressured for PT...sounds to me like Irvin and this sure looks like a pretty good team. I am excited. This team looks to be a BT contender. I know it's against Rutgers & Northwestern but this team is probably with or without LeVERT & Wagner is going to be deep.

Reality Man

not sure how Dawkins is a more consistent scorer than Irvin. Aubrey has 7 career games in double figures. Irvin had 25 games this year in double figures.

Well....let me retort...

1. Chatman doesn't have more potential than Dawkins. That being said...Chatman has upside.

2. Dawkins wasn't even playing that much for the 1st half of the season.

3. Irvin takes a lot of shots.

4. Dawkins is a more consistent scorer right now...not over the last 25 games.

5. Who would you rather have shooting....Dawkins or Irvin?

6. Disagree with both of you. :)

Reality Man

I agree with the original poster in that I see Dawkins having more upside than Irvin. Dawkins runs the court very well, has big time ups and is becoming a very nice three point shooter...all of this as a unheralded freshman. I like Irvin and certainly think he can help the team but I see more upside with Dawkins. It was nice to see Chatman improve towards the end of the season and as long as he keeps on this progression he should be a big contributor moving forward. If Robinson is as good an outside shooter as reported and if we get Wagner we should be in very good shape next year.

Agree on one of either Walton or Albrecht

Michigan was worse than atrocious this year with both on the court at the same time. Especially when combined with Bielfeldt.

Why so little love for Wilson?

RM, what are the rumors (and your thoughts) on LeVert returning next year?

This post was edited on 3/8 2:36 AM by taluslope

Hard to beleive one could make a strong case for Dawkins on the All-Fr Team

in the BT.

I completely agree with Reality Man..

If you are watching all the games, what I have noticed is;

1. Dawkins has the most potential than any of the other freshman. He shoots better than THJr. Did when he was a freshman.
2. His athletic ability is close to GRIII.
3. Smart player, not many turnovers.

I do disagree with you RM in that I believe LeVert goes pro. I have a hard time seeing him pass up 1st round status

If LeVERT has a good inclination that he will be a 1st round pick...

then I would advise him to go. When I reference GR3...it's in the context that don't go if you are a 2nd round pick.

Here is why I think LeVERT comes back and has nothing to do whether he likes college.

1. Injury....twice on the same foot. Going to scare off some GM's.
2. He hasn't played that much recently. When is LeVERT going to start playing bball....a month from now? Going to be rusty and he is going to have to show people a lot in these workouts.

3. The risk is he is probably going in the 2nd round.

If he is middle of 1st round selection...Yes...he should definitely go.

Reality Man

Levert will go as long as he there are strong indications he will go somewhere in the first round. At this point I certainly don't think that is a guarantee. First, Levert is a good player but not a great player in terms of NBA potential so it's not like he's a freak that teams will be willing to gamble taking high. Secondly, the fact that he is thin and has had two major injuries during his college career will be concerning. I could certainly see a scenario where he slips to the second round and at that point he might be better coming back for another year to demonstrate that he is fully recovered. He will secure a first round draft position if he comes back next year, has a good season and doesn't get injured again.

By the way, if reports are true that Dawkins works very hard at his game then he has the potential to be a very special player during his UM career. I look forward to him taking another step forward in his play going into next season.

Re: Agree on one of either Walton or Albrecht

wilson has a lot to prove. almost given a pass when he first came in, but did not look that impressive. needs to gain more strength big time, as does donnell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT