ADVERTISEMENT

It finally dawned on me regarding 4 spot recruiting under

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
JB. If you look at JB recruiting...no problem recruiting guards or even centers. They may not be high quality but he can at least get 'bigs' from Wagner to Doyle to Davis/Teske. You know the story with guards.

But why is it so hard to recruit 4's? You say it's the offensive system. Sure...yes. But what dawned on me is would you want to play in the Big Ten as an undersized 4 and try and guard guys who are 2-4 inches taller than you plus another 20-30 lbs heavier?

Seems like trying to get a kid to go to the dentist. Who wants to play the 'David' in the Goliath matchup? I really like Jamal Cain but I think these guys who would play the 4 in the JB system prefer the 3 spot in other systems.

RM

JB. If you look at JB recruiting...no problem recruiting guards or even centers. They may not be high quality but he can at least get 'bigs' from Wagner to Doyle to Davis/Teske. You know the story with guards.

But why is it so hard to recruit 4's? You say it's the offensive system. Sure...yes. But what dawned on me is would you want to play in the Big Ten as an undersized 4 and try and guard guys who are 2-4 inches taller than you plus another 20-30 lbs heavier?

Seems like trying to get a kid to go to the dentist. Who wants to play the 'David' in the Goliath matchup? I really like Jamal Cain but I think these guys who would play the 4 in the JB system prefer the 3 spot in other systems.

RM
It's not hard to recruit 4's but with the offense he's run the fours don't get no shots only put backs and hustle points it's no plays for the big people

RM
Cain is a small forward by far

You are definitely right...no way Cain plays the #4. I would love to have him since he brings a Petway type of game. Maybe a little more diverse.

That being said...I do like Livers since he looks like he has the frame and 'tude' to play the #4. JB needs to find a cross between Novak and Walton to play that position. Someone willing to bring their hard hat. I don't want to see Irvin types playing the #4. It's like a swiss cheese defense.

Can you imagine these #4's from other teams...they must just have been licking their chops when UM came to town. Post up city.

RM.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT