ADVERTISEMENT

Is it fair to classify Albrecht as a backup pg? I have said...

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
he is the best backup pg in UM history. Others have said the guy from the 70's.

I think he is a starting BT pg. Is he big time athletic or 1st team BT...no. Does he have some limitations defensively...Yes.

That being said...he is 'cagey' and in this system a BT quality starting pg. I won't see him as a backup going forward. He is just the other starting pg on the roster.

Other thing I wanted to mention....I don't necessarily want to see Dawkins 'improve' in the way some define it. I mean I want to see him get stronger and better at other things but I don't want to see him turn into a jack of all trades guy but a guy who knows what to do in this system...shoot the lights out.

No need in my opinion to do other things when you can shoot like this guy. Maybe I'd like to see him develop a off the dribble pull jumper but I hope the staff doesn't try and expand his offensive game too much whereas I like how Irvin is now becoming more of the jack of all trades since he isn't quite great at any one thing.

Let me give you an example. Andy Roddick had a gigantic forehand (weapon) but then made him into a more complete player. Didn't necessarily make him more successful but more complete. Basketball is a team sport. This team doesn't need Irvin to chuck 3 pointers as much since they have Dawkins. Irvin is really an unsung hero for changing his contributions. Kudos to the staff. He has recognized what he does and doesn't do well.

This team has their THJ....Irvin looks like he is going to become the 'attacker'...now develop the other pieces for this system.

Reality Man

P.S. I see Wisconsin by about 6 pts tomorrow. Competitive game. Offense is looking good.

PG is a position on the floor, backup is a spot on the depth chart. For most of his career, Albrecht has been a backup PG. First to Trey Burke and then to Derrick Walton. But with Walton down he's been elevated to starter. Next season he will likely back up Walton, though he is so talented that Beilein will again pull out the 2 PG lineups periodically (especially at the end when we need FT shooters and ball handlers).

Is he a backup PG right now? Of course not. He plays 38+ minutes per game. Next year he'll likely come off the bench, though. And yes, he might be our highest performing backup PG in school history, or at least in decades.

Here is the key question. Can you be considered a 'backup' if you

sometimes play more minutes than the starter depending on the game?

Reality Man

Re: Here is the key question. Can you be considered a 'backup' if you

Originally posted by Reality Man:
sometimes play more minutes than the starter depending on the game?

Reality Man
I don't think Albrecht has ever played more minutes than the starter (Burke or Walton) in a game outside of an injury situation or perhaps the 2 foul sit on the bench the rest of the half rule (like Burke in the national title game).
This post was edited on 3/14 8:57 AM by blockm2

However...that may not necessarily be the case next year because there is

going to be a game where Walton may struggle and Albrecht is playing well.

The difference between Walton & Albrecht isn't as great between two as you would assume. I personally go with the guy who is playing better whereas I wouldn't take a Burke out to play Albrecht.

An example would be Dawkins vs. THJ if they were on the same team. I would go with the guy who had the hot hand...assume both are frosh at end of season.

Reality Man

Re: However...that may not necessarily be the case next year because there is

Originally posted by Reality Man:
going to be a game where Walton may struggle and Albrecht is playing well.

The difference between Walton & Albrecht isn't as great between two as you would assume. I personally go with the guy who is playing better whereas I wouldn't take a Burke out to play Albrecht.
I have no idea what you are saying. I've said factually that Albrecht has been a backup PG in that he's come off the bench and played fewer minutes than the starter in every game except because of injury or maybe foul trouble. Next season I expect that to continue.

I think you are underestimating the difference in defense and rebounding between Albrecht and Walton. Spike is bad on defense. Walton is good on defense. Spike is a poor rebounder. Walton is a good rebounder. Offensively they are similar in quality, but the rest of the game is a heavy edge to Walton. I suspect Derrick will be even better next season while I'm not sure Spike has much room left to improve his game.

I like Spike's game. He's great at keeping the offense flowing and getting people open looks. I just think he has an inferior overall game to Derrick Walton.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT