ADVERTISEMENT

I'm a bit of a stats nerd, so I'm tracking Haskins, Ojabo, Hutchinson

MichaelJSpath

Sophomore
Dec 21, 2020
I posted this on Twitter over the weekend, but David Ojabo is only the fourth Wolverine in school history to contribute a sack in five straight games. If he gets a QB takedown or even splits one this weekend, he'll set a school record. Ojabo is also chasing (as is Aidan Hutchinson) the single-season record of 12 QB sacks, held by LaMarr Woodley (2006) and David Bowens (1996). Honestly surprised it hasn't fallen yet as 12 sacks is not a huge number in college football. Ignoring 2020, 31 players have exceeded that since 2015.

Meanwhile, Hassan Haskins, at 829 yards, is a shoo-in to get to 1,000 yards rushing. That's still a magic number. He's actually on pace for 1,197, which would represent the best season by a Michigan ball carrier under Harbaugh (Karan Higdon finished with 1,178 in 2018) and the most since Denard Robinson had 1,266 in 2012. If Haskins remains the bell cow for U-M, he could breach 1,300 yards, as he's averaging 139.0 YPG this season in any contest in which he gets 20+ carries. 1300 yards hasn't been done since Denard in 2010.

Of course, that all comes down to Blake Corum. If he's health and returns to form, he's on pace for 1,123 yards, which would mark only the second time in school history that Michigan had two 1,000-yard rushers in the same season. Gordon Bell and Rob Lytle did it in 1975. It would honestly be one of the more remarkable stats I've seen in 20 years covering this team.

Haskins also has 11 rushing TDs. The school record is 19, Ron Johnson in 1968, so he won't get there but he is on pace for 16, and that's with sharing the load with Corum. 16 rushing TDs would put him in Michigan's Top 5.

All of this running success has come at the expense of the passing game as Cade McNamara is on pace for 2,406 passing yards. That would be the lowest total for a full-time starter at U-M (not including the COVID year) since Devin Gardner in 2014 (1,896 yards). Nationally, 22 QBs already have 2,400 yards and 80 are on pace to exceed McNamara's total.

Lots more stats out there, but I'll be keeping my eyes on the sacks, rushing totals and passing tallies in these final four games. BTW, everything changes if Michigan gets to the B10 title game. Adding another contest into the mix would give Ojabo, Hutchinson, Haskins, Corum chances to blow things out of the water.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News