ADVERTISEMENT

How about this procedure/process...

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
on another board talking about honoring commitments, etc. In the context of Harbaugh and his tenure at Stanford and what will happen going forward.

I personally think the following is a reasonable approach.

If a kid is offered and commits (loyal/Malzone) then by no means should the school push the kid away regardless.

If a kid is offered and commits but is taking visits or looking around then all bets are off. It's not a commitment at least from my perspective.

These are the easy ones. Now what happens if the kid gets injured then I think the school needs to be upfront with the kid that this will jeopardize the scholarship offer since they clearly are in the business of winning. Tough tough one. (See Hatch as an example of trying to accomodate both parties).

I don't have the answer and would enjoy different perspectives. The kid hasn't signed anything (Battle) and can leave. Why does the kid in theory have more leverage. Isn't the kid part of a family where adults are advising him so it can't be adults vs. minors.

Thoughts?

Reality Man

In regards to Pipkins....there is a line...maybe even a fine line between right and wrong. Do I know where this line starts and stops? No.

I don't want to give the impression that I think it's okay to 'cut' football players if they don't live up to expectations like Pipkins. I think it's clearly wrong.

I think Pipkins wanted to play football. Harbaugh wants full time football players and I understand that perspective but Pipkins has had some serious injuries. This is a tough call.

Here is the answer (my opinion). Coaches/program should be very upfront and facilitate a transfer (ANYWHERE) to play football. I know people take shots at Alabama but there is some sense of forthright communication since players don't seem to be too upset about getting 'cut'.

Players seem to understand they will be ought the door at Alabama when they don't meet expectations. It's the big time. I hope the coaches at UM going forward are very direct with the recruits and the kids about expectations.

I didn't say I support the NFL mindset in college but I do support players needing to practice and not loaf their entire career behind the facade of injuries.

Hope that makes sense.

Reality Man

Understand but if a player can't play, he's taking up a football slot. I think it's great he gets a medical and can finish college & get his degree.

in realty JH is doing the kid a favor. Too many injuries -- the types that scare NFLers -- are his legacy. JH said he will honor his academic work and I would hope the dreams that may not be realized on the field become realty in the real world

JH under pressure to win at all costs. He already stated Michigan players don't take real classes - Hope he keeps the New Lawn Dart tradition against MSU.

Nick Saban tells a player to take a medical reshirt proves just how corrupt the SEC brand of football is by exploiting the player and cutting him loose once he is no longer useful to the team.

Jim Harbaugh tells a player to take a medical reshirt he is doing the kid a favor and simply looking out for the player's best interests.

I get it now. #MichiganManLogic

Reactions: IMZ23
Nick Saban tells a player to take a medical reshirt proves just how corrupt the SEC brand of football is by exploiting the player and cutting him loose once he is no longer useful to the team.

Jim Harbaugh tells a player to take a medical reshirt he is doing the kid a favor and simply looking out for the player's best interests.

Bone dork didn't read the article

Brian Kelley put a kid in harms way and it cost him his freaking life, yet here you are throwing stones at JH regarding a situation you clearly don't understand.
#theNDway

JH under pressure to win at all costs. He already stated Michigan players don't take real classes - Hope he keeps the New Lawn Dart tradition against MSU.
Golson cheated on an EXAM and was let back into ND. Michael Floyd had a number of alcohol related arrests and only missed spring practice as punishment.

Your glass house is shattered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT