ADVERTISEMENT

Hoke

Re: Harbaugh and American Sniper

Originally posted by scfanblue:
Thank you Coach Harbaugh for being a man and mentoring to young men how important it is to freely express their constitutional right to freedom of speech. Right now in this country, a person's right to speech and expression is under the greatest threat it ever has been with the exception of during WWI and WWII. It is unbelievable how people are being vilified and blacklisted for simply disagreeing with the "politically correct version of the national mood right now" It is time that someone in the national limelight like Jim Harbaugh stood up in the face of radical ridiculousness which is highly touted in the arrogant academia world!!!!!!
confused0012.r191677.gif

Re: Harbaugh and American Sniper

What do you not get? Students and others at the university protested and petitioned to have the movie pulled because they did not like what kind of message it sent and it portrayed the Muslims in the movie in a negative light. What about the others who liked the movie and the way it honored a man who fought for his country. What happened to their voice in the matter. Nice to see Harbaugh give his own opinion on the matter.

Originally posted by scfanblue:
What do you not get? Students and others at the university protested and petitioned to have the movie pulled because they did not like what kind of message it sent and it portrayed the Muslims in the movie in a negative light. What about the others who liked the movie and the way it honored a man who fought for his country. What happened to their voice in the matter. Nice to see Harbaugh give his own opinion on the matter.
So the people that didn't want it shown should shove their freedom of speech? What's your thoughts on that?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

First of all, the movie has to be seen before judgments can be made so I'm not sure why people would want to prevent others from seeing it. I didn't care for any of the Michael Moore movies but I would never want to prevent others from seeing them. My goodness, this is America, let people watch the movie and decide on their own. I'm glad Jim Harbaugh saw thru the BS and let his thoughts be known.

Originally posted by tkirschner:

So the people that didn't want it shown should shove their freedom of speech? What's your thoughts on that?
Kind of a strawman argument here.

Nobody suggested that anybody lose their freedom of speech or their right to protest.

Go ahead and paint a sign, light a candle, chant a chant or walk a line.

JH told them to pound sand because the football team and anybody else can watch it if they want.

Just because they are offended and don't get their way does not mean they were denied their rights.

Unless of course you believe that muslims have a right to censor...

Go Blue!

Originally posted by vic.valiant:
Originally posted by tkirschner:

Kind of a strawman argument here.

Nobody suggested that anybody lose their freedom of speech or their right to protest.

Go ahead and paint a sign, light a candle, chant a chant or walk a line.

JH told them to pound sand because the football team and anybody else can watch it if they want.

Just because they are offended and don't get their way does not mean they were denied their rights.

Unless of course you believe that muslims have a right to censor...

Go Blue!

The OP was saying its a freedom of speech issue. I asked in the form of devils advocate. I'm glad they decided to show the movie and I'm also very glad JH said what he did. I personally didn't see it as a freedom of speech issue is all. I could be wrong but either way I'm glad it's being shown.

Good post. I looked at this a bit deeper and saw it as a freedom of speech/expression issue. Why? because it initially appeared that the group who felt offended once again started whining and the powers that be were going to cave into them without hearing the reasons for the other side wanting it shown. This type of behavior is so rampant now it is horrible. I thought it was awesome for Harbaugh to express his opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT