ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh's Recruiting Focus

scfanblue

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
As a Michigan fan, I think Harbaugh's recruiting focus at this point has been outstanding. His reliance on his eyes instead of star computer rankings is going to pay dividends for Michigan's program down the road. Also, I have noticed that he is not placing the bulk of his efforts to rely on Ohio. Meyer, just like Tressel has pretty much sealed off the top tier talent of Ohio and that is exactly how Tressel pulled OSU past Michigan during Carr's final years. Harbaugh knows this and is pulling in recruits from across the U.S. while not ignoring the state of Michigan. In the past, Michigan has been able to trickle in players from the south which really contributed to the program, however, Harbaugh is pulling in even more talent from that region. Meyer will also get a few recruits from the south, however, Harbaugh is certainly going to get some top picking from California because of his presence there. He is also not "star struck" like Brady Hoke and this is probably from his time recruiting for a school like Stanford. I predict that Michigan will finish with a top 5 class because he is going to pull in some highly rated talent like Caleb Kelly and Rashan Gary in the end. Good times ahead for the Blue.

Well as a ND fan and Harbaugh admirer, I'm going to pop in here and suggest you forget about the top 5 class business, because that ain't happening. I'm not even sure it's mathematically possible at this point. However, your current stunningly underwhelming class on paper is contrasted by the fact if Harbaugh wanted a top five class he could easily have it. And the only reason you guys are getting all these super sleepers is because apparently that's who Harbaugh wants.

So my big curiosity would be wear is JH's head at. Is he being reckless with these offers, and he's so supremely confident that he can win with practically anyone at all that he offers just about anyone he likes, or do all these players actually meet a certain real standard for him, and as haphazard as it may look, he knows exactly what he's doing, and he's quite content and pleased with the commits he's getting and the new roster/team that he's building based on his idiosyncratic vision.

I suppose it could be a little of both. He won big at Stanford with the same kind of ostensible talent level, but perhaps he's misinterpreting just why and how it is he was so successful without a roster full of elite recruits. And he's been in the pros for four years, maybe he just doesn't feel like sticking it out with the long slog of recruiting. And he figures he didn't need them at Stanford, so why would he need them here. Because if he wanted nothing but elite recruits pretty much, he could have that. He's Jim Harbaugh, and this is Michigan we're talking about. But of course it would be more work, more patience, all that sort of thing.

It's certainly fascinating. This is a big F U to Rivals.com and the whole recruiting stars fetish and subculture. And if there's anyone who can pull it off and still win championships, he's the one. As far as I'm concerned, I still predict scUM in the playoffs by year three. And fully capable of beating tOSU by year two. Until I see different, Harbaugh still means dominant, run-first, physical football at it's best.

let me wade in, rather tardily (if that's a word)

JH's recruiting pattern is running true to Stanford form. Attract big OL (he has 4) shore up the DL and LB position (I believe that's coming) and then everything follows.

I don't recall a dominate WR at Stanford yet they were great in passing with Luck, an athletic QB. The OL was pounders -- ask the Irish -- so you can see UM developing along the same lines. Assuming star ratings have any validity (and I agree with the above poster is the ratings are all about money and not much else) the players on hand are pretty good. With a real OL coach (no offense to Funk who's a MAC style coach) and the DL appears to be pretty good. A strong DL helps the secondary as we all know and UM hasn't had a good "push" from the DL since Mike Martin graduated. Behind a good OL, lumbering WRs who can block and big backs it's a rebirth of Bo, whether that be good or bad is up for speculation.

but I think JH has the right formulary. Give me good OL and any back can gain yardage

This approach will probably work "for the most part" in the Big 10 but not with good teams ..... keep scheduling MAC schools and your fine

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT