ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh Doing Very Well With Recruiting

scfanblue

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
A few months back on this board, trolls from ND/MSU were on here making statements about how Harbaugh will not be the knockout recruiter that he is supposed to be because he is out of touch with the college game. Right now, Michigan's 2016 class is rated the #6 class in the nation and that is without the highly touted Rashan Gary is is most likely going to committ to UM. When it is all done, Michigan will have a top 5 class for Harbaugh's first haul. Not bad for a guy who is "out of touch" with young kids. I can't wait to come on this board in November when Michigan has won 10 regular season games and upsets the Spartans or Buckeyes this season. Just like his recruting so far, Michigan will win a bunch of games this season despite all of the experts on this board. Ruddock is being brought in to not turn the ball over behind an experienced and well coached O line that will get better each week. The defense on the other hand will be one of the top 5 in the country and they are deep. Michigan returns more players than any team in the Big 10 and now they have a dynamite coach who was "out of touch" with young people 2 months ago!!!! Go Blue and Go Cocks in the SEC!!!!!!!

I don't care about the 'rankings'. That being said...I like what I see on film. We will see exactly how class ends up but I like most of these guys...seem to be football players...good size for their projected position...run pretty well.

Off the top of my head...here is how is my top 10 separated by two tiers. Need to watch some film on Swenson.

Bredeson, Davis, Johnson, Hawkins, Richardson.

McKeon, Enis, Onwenu, Viramontes, Peters.

Reality Man

I like who is developing them and that is all that really matters, however he has compiled an awesome group of players because all the top programs have offered them as well so they must be able to play football. Viramontes is the "sleeper" of the entire group. Kid is awesome and tough which is exactly what Michigan needs. Nevertheless, coming on here and making projections about the inability of Harbaugh to recruit is flat out stupid. Even Buckeyes fans have not chimed in on that stupidity. They know Harbaugh will make Michigan better than they have ever been and they want it that way. I am sick of hearing about how it will take him a year. How long did it take Urban? OSU had the same players that lost 6 games the year before Urban arrived and the next year those same players lost 00000000 games. I have said it all along that Hoke recruited very well except for QB. Michigan will do very well this year regardless of the naysayers.

as I noted earlier, all's quiet in E. Lansing -- all of a sudden. JH will do well, frankly he doesn't seem like a star gazer either. Team will be contending..

Yeah...I like a coach who can evaluate players and NOT listen to 'gurus'. I was on this one site and they gave a synopsis of the player...he did this well...this not too well...tell me about the player. If you feel so compelled...give me a grade on a scale of 1-100.

But this....look team 'A' is ranked #10 in recruiting and team 'B' is ranked #17...Oh...look everyone we did better than team 'B' is for the birds. Garbage.

Viramontes is definitely a baller. I would be shocked if Viramontes doesn't play somewhere on a regular basis. You know at WORST...he will be a star on Special Teams.

Reality Man

A few months back on this board, trolls from ND/MSU were on here making statements about how Harbaugh will not be the knockout recruiter that he is supposed to be because he is out of touch with the college game. Right now, Michigan's 2016 class is rated the #6 class in the nation and that is without the highly touted Rashan Gary is is most likely going to committ to UM. When it is all done, Michigan will have a top 5 class for Harbaugh's first haul. Not bad for a guy who is "out of touch" with young kids. I can't wait to come on this board in November when Michigan has won 10 regular season games and upsets the Spartans or Buckeyes this season. Just like his recruting so far, Michigan will win a bunch of games this season despite all of the experts on this board. Ruddock is being brought in to not turn the ball over behind an experienced and well coached O line that will get better each week. The defense on the other hand will be one of the top 5 in the country and they are deep. Michigan returns more players than any team in the Big 10 and now they have a dynamite coach who was "out of touch" with young people 2 months ago!!!! Go Blue and Go Cocks in the SEC!!!!!!!
Who has The Wolverines class rated #6?

I agree that Harbaugh has done well ecruiting this cycle. He did not finish well last year due to serious time constraints and unrealistic expectations put on him by the media. But I doubt you guys finish in the top 5 on Rivals. You have 21 commits and MSU, OSU, FSU and LSU all have fewer commits. OSU has 16 and LSU has 17 and already are ahead. MSU has on less and FSU is ahead of you with 3 fewer. Each of those schools have more scholarships to give out so most likely they will stay ahead of you. How many will UM take this year? Unless it's over 25 I don't see you jumping most of those schools. Plus you have USC, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Ole Miss with many more scholarships to give that could very realistically jump UM. In fact USC, Alabama and even Florida are those schools that tend to pull some late commits and jump up in the rankings. However, the reality is recruiting was never really your problem, coaching and player development has been the issue.

All that being said Harbaugh is a very weird dude. That crap will fly if he is winning and will be viewed as quirky and endearing. But if the wins don't come over MSU, OSU, B1G Championships and in meaningful playoff games....those of you enamored by it now will see it as really weird too. There is a reason why an NFL team that went from big time losers to 3 NFC championship games in a row and a Super Bowl....let this guy walk. He is insufferable and weird....he just is.

Reactions: roaringfork green
However, the reality is recruiting was never really your problem, coaching and player development has been the issue.

There is a reason why an NFL team that went from big time losers to 3 NFC championship games in a row and a Super Bowl....let this guy walk.

Quoted and cliffed cuz' it's da truff!

He may be weird but so what? Every coach has their own quirks. As far as him wearing out his welcome in Ann Arbor? I wouldn't hold my breath on that one and ANY coach including Myer or Saban would be fired at Michigan for not winning the major games. I remember much criticism thrown at Meyer for taking the OSU job when his health was supposedly bad. Many accused him for bailing from Gainsville because the program was out of control with the number of felonies committed by his players which were shrouded within the national championships he had won there. Winning at OSU has shut that up as will Harbaugh's winning in Ann Arbor. Michigan fans are not enamored by Harbaugh. He is a great coach and has proven it. We are excited because we know what is coming. I heard the same kind of speculation about Steve Spurrier when he came to South Carolina and that he was washed up, weird and could not build the program. He is also a great coach and has proven that with South Carolina. The Cocks are a national contender with him now and he has beaten all the top programs in the SEC.

Last edited:
I agree that Harbaugh has done well ecruiting this cycle. He did not finish well last year due to serious time constraints and unrealistic expectations put on him by the media. But I doubt you guys finish in the top 5 on Rivals. You have 21 commits and MSU, OSU, FSU and LSU all have fewer commits. OSU has 16 and LSU has 17 and already are ahead. MSU has on less and FSU is ahead of you with 3 fewer. Each of those schools have more scholarships to give out so most likely they will stay ahead of you. How many will UM take this year? Unless it's over 25 I don't see you jumping most of those schools. Plus you have USC, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Ole Miss with many more scholarships to give that could very realistically jump UM. In fact USC, Alabama and even Florida are those schools that tend to pull some late commits and jump up in the rankings. However, the reality is recruiting was never really your problem, coaching and player development has been the issue.

All that being said Harbaugh is a very weird dude. That crap will fly if he is winning and will be viewed as quirky and endearing. But if the wins don't come over MSU, OSU, B1G Championships and in meaningful playoff games....those of you enamored by it now will see it as really weird too. There is a reason why an NFL team that went from big time losers to 3 NFC championship games in a row and a Super Bowl....let this guy walk. He is insufferable and weird....he just is.
I don't think you truly understand how much of an idiot Jed York is. Look at what has happened to San Francisco since Harbaugh left, that team has ALREADY fallen apart and they hired their OL coach (who can barely complete sentences) to coach the team. Jed York is a silver spoon baby who was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. He seriously thinks it was his roster moves (and not Harbaugh's coaching) that made SF so good.

We're in a great spot for a few 5* guys and a bunch of 4* guys, not to mention a few of the under-the-radar guys we have commitments from have not been properly ranked yet. We're a LONG way from signing day, I think this class is going to be just fine and ranked highly. We'll also very likely sign 25-28 guys.

Nobody here cares if you like Harbaugh or think he's weird. We all think Urban is a scumbag. Does that bother you at all?

Urban the Tortoise!!!!
images
images

Reactions: PharmD Blue
Time to kickoff the season.. Like anything else it wont come down to whether or not a coach is weird or not.. it comes down to wins

UM is not beating either MSU or OSU this year.. barring major injuries to key talent to either MSU and OSU.. its a trenches thing.. and OSU and MSU will control the trenches

So if I am correct in 2015 and harbaugh goes to 0-2 vs MSU and OSU it is certainly a virtual requirement to win one or both of those games in 2016 so that the faithful don't lose faith..

Your best to chance to beat MSU is in 2016 not 2015...

Baby steps in 2015.. win 8 regular season games and lock down your key recruits before Feb 3... that should be a good year for UM based on the trenches.. a new QB and new systems being installed at UM

Time to kickoff the season.. Like anything else it wont come down to whether or not a coach is weird or not.. it comes down to wins

UM is not beating either MSU or OSU this year.. barring major injuries to key talent to either MSU and OSU.. its a trenches thing.. and OSU and MSU will control the trenches

So if I am correct in 2015 and harbaugh goes to 0-2 vs MSU and OSU it is certainly a virtual requirement to win one or both of those games in 2016 so that the faithful don't lose faith..

Baby steps in 2015.. win 8 regular season games and lock down your key recruits before Feb 3... that should be a good year for UM based on the trenches.. a new QB and new systems being installed at UM
Stanford wasn't supposed to beat juggernaut USC in 2007 either, they were 41 point underdogs on the road. They won that game with a backup QB.

I sure as hell wouldn't tell Harbaugh he can't win those games if I were you.

I'm not saying we're going undefeated or that we're going to beat anyone in particular. What I'm saying is I wouldn't automatically count us out of any particular game this year, period.

You must be related to Lou Holtz. He always spit out great predictions.

Just my humble opinion.. Thank God the season will begin soon and we can watch it unfold.
Harbaugh is not going surrender to anyone.. But it appears as though both OSU and MSU are legitimate Top 5 teams this year..barring major injuries.. its not what UM fans want to hear but appears legit.. again, I do think that UM could fare pretty darn well in 2016 against at least MSU.. That will be MSU's reload/rebuild year...just as things stand now... Don't care about Stanford and USC in 2007 or 2008.. Not really relevant to this 2015 season matchups...

Geez guys: Click on FB recruiting on this site RIVALS and then click on TEAM RANKINGS. Michigan has dropped at this point to #7 right behind Dicktonio's squad at #6. Here maybe this will help you. https://rivals.yahoo.com/michigan/football/recruiting/teamrank/2016/all/all--your Nittany Lions are #9. This will change of course over the next 7 months, however, Harbaugh will still have Michigan in the top 10 when it said and done and possibly the top 5. Stealing Brady's line here "It's Harbaugh for Godsakes"-what great high school player would not want to play for a guy who won as an NFL coach and college coach and who cares if he comes across as an oddball. Between Sabans' 1978 disco jive haircut and Meyer's tortoise look alike neck and face what is so bad about Jim Harbaugh?

scfanblue wrote: When it is all done, Michigan will have a top 5 class for Harbaugh's first haul.

Wrong ! Completely wrong and not even close.
You do realize that the current recruiting rankings are based on quantity X quality and the only reason Michigan is rated so high right now is the 21 recruits that have committed. The only way to compare rankings this early is the average rating/recruit. In comparison:

Rivals: Michigan - 3.24
MSU - 3.3
PSU - 3.44

Scout: Michigan - 3.14 (very well ? I don't think so).
MSU - 3.45
PSU - 3.50
Nebraska = 3.14
N.D. - 3.46 (The same N.D. that there's a negative thread about their recruiting on this site)

247 Sports: Michigan: 87.34
MSU: 88.06
PSU: 89.34

I didn't bother to list OSU's since they're in another stratosphere (3.88, 3.88. 92.15)

Question: what do you think is going to happen to UM's current lofty rating when schools like Georgia, TCU, UCLA, Stanford, and Clemson (just a few) all start filling their classes ? Most of them are around 12 to 15 recruits right now. Do the math. Top 5 ? I don't think so !

Harbaugh might be able to use UM's "superior" academic standing as a recruiting tool. Oh wait, probably can't do that since he drug the school through the mud with his statement just a few short years ago about the athlete/academic problems at Michigan.

Your wrong and try to back it up with a bunch of goobly gock statistics in which some would call "fuzzy math." Harbaugh has done exceptionally well recruiting right now and he is not finished. Now go on your own little rivals site and brag about how well your team is doing. You are wasting your time and breath reading and posting on our site because Michigan is going to be a machine under Harbaugh. You know it and it pisses you off because you don't like Michigan so you pull up some crap you copied and pasted from Scout or a 247 site and try to put Michigan down with some ridiculous prediction. Did it ever occur to you that Michigan will also be adding addtional recruits throughout the next six months and the teams you listed like Clemson is going to sign an additonal 12 recruits who are all rated 5 star recruits--yeah right!!!!! just like Georgia and UCLA will. You need to do better than that if your going to come on here and bash Harbaugh. Your logic with your post sucks my friend and it is ridiculous. I will say that you excited the Michigan Rivals nuisance poster in Roaring Fork (known as the Spoon here) Green because he gave you a thumbs up. Glad you get his vote of confidence because we all know here at our site that his opinions just boast with intelligence and truth!!!!!

Last edited:
"Your wrong and try to back it up with a bunch of goobly gock statistics in which some would call "fuzzy math."

Some would call fuzzy math ? Try this on for size. 247 Sports released a 4-year composite (all major recruiting services - your fuzzy math) average rating right after the playoffs and the top 3 in order over that 4-year period were Alabama. Ohio State, and FSU. Ring a bell ? Those were 3 of the 4 teams in last year's first playoff. The other - Oregon - finished 18th. You can spin it any way you want, but unless the coach is an absolute dud - stars/ratings (your fuzzy math) do matter !

Did it ever occur to you that Michigan will also be adding addtional recruits throughout the next six months and the teams you listed like Clemson is going to sign an additonal 12 recruits who are all rated 5 star recruits--yeah right!!!!!

Math isn't your strong point, is it ? Because of the already high number of commitments and lower average/recruit, UM is the one that needs to sign the 5-star recruits down the road to end up with your top 5 final status (still chuckling over that one). And even finishing out with all 5-stars, that probably isn't enough. Ain't going to happen (maybe Gary and one more).

Michigan is going to be a machine under Harbaugh.

They should be better (can't be much worse). But there's the difference. As with the Hoke and Rich Rod hires, here come the anticipation for a brighter future. I will say that Harbaugh is a proven - very good coach. No denying that. But your statement really tells the difference between OSU and UM. You're using words like "is going to be" whereas I can say that OSU IS a machine under Urban. I'll try to "suffer" through a few more Urban years, I guess. And while I admit that Jim H. is a very good/solid coach, I also believe that he's not even the best coach in his family, let alone comparison to the other championship winning coaches in the BIG.

OSU may have won the NC last year, however, they and their high powered recruits STRUGGLE with Michigan every year. I think Harbaugh 's arrival in Ann Arbor has made y ou nervous and that's why you are trolling this site. Boasting about your "out of the stratosphere" recruiting numbers in Columbus and that Harbaugh can't possibly be as good as Urban. Just because you won the NC last year and your returning many players does not mean your going to win the NC. I actually cheered for you against against Bama because I was tired of watching the SEC whip your ass in a bowl game every time you played them. What is the overall record now against the SEC 2-18? Hell you guys have always had "out of the stratosphere" recruits even against the SEC teams. One lucky run last year against Bama and Oregon proved nothing to me. U still struggled against Michigan and they were horrible last year on offense especially.

Last edited:
You are so easy to piss off! Must come from having to live in that hell hole of a state you live in.
OSU may have won the NC last year, however, they and their high powered recruits STRUGGLE with Michigan every year. I think Harbaugh 's arrival in Ann Arbor has made you nervous and that's why you are trolling this site. Boasting about your "out of the stratosphere" recruiting numbers in Columbus and that Harbaugh can't possibly be as good as Urban. Just because you won the NC last year and your returning many players does not mean your going to win the NC. I actually cheered for you against against Bama because I was tired of watching the SEC whip your ass in a bowl game every time you played them in a bowl game.

You are so easy to piss off! Must come from having to live in that hell hole of a state you live in.

How did UM do last year in their bowl game? Can't remember who they played? Jog my memory?

Your first statement is ignorant and attacks people from South Carolina who I am sure you probably know very few if any and have probably never visited here. Having grown up in Michigan, I assure you that I will take sunshine and beaches over 7 months of snow any day regardless what has happened here or who lives here. Also, if you are from Michigan, you need to be careful about personally attacking others and where they come from because of one word that is on your doorstep..Detroit. As for the missed bowl game last year, you are correct about that one and I must applaude your spunk with such a statement. "good one spoon-good one." still clapping on that one.

OSU may have won the NC last year, however, they and their high powered recruits STRUGGLE with Michigan every year.

That's what is called a rivalry. I've said many times that I'll take a 1 point win anytime in that series. And for your information, the "trolling" on the OSU sites and other BIG sites by UM fans about Urban is off the charts. Liar, cheater, scumbag, etc... My original post contained figures from the recruiting sites that was immediately called "goobly gock statistics" which is pure hog wash. Like I said earlier, last year's playoff teams prove otherwise.

To your point about "Harbaugh can't possibly be as good as Urban", well he needs to prove it first. He!!, forget Urban, he needs to prove he's better than Dantonio who I consider just a step behind Urban and one of the top 5 college coaches. He's now getting the recruits and to be quite honest, I'm not looking forward to playing MSU in the next couple of years. Never said Harbaugh isn't a good, solid coach. Just saying let's look at his results over the next couple of years before we start throwing the high accolades at him. Let's be honest here, if you took a NATIONAL poll right now on who the better coach is between Urban and Harbaugh, take a guess who the runaway winner is. In a few years ???? Maybe close but Harbaugh needs to win some championships first !!!

"your returning many players does not mean your going to win the NC."

No kidding ! Anybody that thinks we're a lock for the NC is totally fooling themselves. It's extremely hard win back to back championships no matter how much talent you have - ask Alabama (last year's solid favorite) and BTW, your "goobly gock" recruiting champs the last 5 years in a row . And yes, I also root for ALL BIG teams in their out of conference and bowls games - even Michigan and PSU and it's not easy for me to say that.

My original post contained figures from the recruiting sites that was immediately called "goobly gock statistics" which is pure hog wash. Like I said earlier, last year's playoff teams prove otherwise.

Recruiting stars and recruitment rankings are NOT the final determination for where a team winds up in January.Of course the talent helps but coaching matters much more. Ask yourself about the OSU team that went 6-7 under Fickell and lost to Michigan. Where was that class ranked in the national recruiting team statitics? How did Urban take those SAME players and go UNDEFEATED the NEXT year? Coaching is the answer to that. Look at Brady Hoke and the Michigan recruiting classes he hauled in. Let me help you with that one

Michigan 2012- Finished #7 Texas #3 and Florida #4- where were they the past couple of years?
Michigan 2013- Finished #6 Florida was #2
Michigan 2014- Finished # 18 OSU was #7 Tennessee was #4- Texas A&M was #3 how good have these teams been? with the exception of OSU winning it all last year.

Bottom line: Talent is a great thing to have, but ALL of those recruiting services are becoming a JOKE and are beginning to lose credibility from the high school to college evaluation step. Rivals for example is a massive money making machine and any parent withthe right amount o fmoney can obtain a Rivals profile for their kid and possibly a few stars to go with it.

Now for the coaching: No doubt Urban Myer is a great college coach, however, his two biggest jobs (Florida and OSU) are absolutely laced with exceptional talent each year and you hardly have to recruit. He is a great coach because he WINS at those schools wiht that much talent. Nick Saban came into a very down Alabama program for almost 5-6 years and he began to produce almost immediately in the win column and certainly for National Championships. Many SEC followers believe Urban fled Gainsville because of the monster that Saban was building in Tuscaloosa. That is a million dollar question and who really cares? Steve Spurrier is a GREAT coach because of what he did at Duke and has done at South Carolina. Harbaugh has WON everywhere he has been and Stanford is hardly a recruiting hotbed. Michigan has been a sleeping giant and he is about to awaken the monster much like Saban at Bama.They will win 8 or more this year and will be in the playoffs in Harbaugh's 3rd year in Ann Arbor. Read this: A good informative article for you:
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-recruiting-rankings-do-they-matter-1

Recruiting stars and recruitment rankings are NOT the final determination for where a team winds up in January.Of course the talent helps but coaching matters much more.

I'm not claiming that recruiting rankings and stars are the final determination for where a team winds up in January. If that was the case, Hoke would still be at Michigan ! What I've been trying to point out is that there's a reason the top recruiting teams year end and year out play for the championships. Does every 4 & 5 star turn out to be college starters and stars ? Of course not. I'm not arguing about coaching - especially player development counting as much as recruiting. Perfect example, and why Urban is a great, great coach, is the job him and his staff did in coaching the team up after the Virginia Tech loss - especially the OL and defense. That was the same OL that gave up 7 sacks to VT (looked like a jail break at times) but improved to the point of shredding Alabama's 8 to 9 man deep, NFL-type defensive line to the tune of 280+ rushing. Any way you want to slice and dice it, that's EXCEPTIONAL coaching and why we won the NC. I want to SEE Harbaugh do something like over an extended period of time without bolting. I went to my first Buckeye game in 1962 and can honestly say that last year was the best overall job of coaching in a single season in my lifetime. I remember the Woody and Tressel teams very well and none of their seasons stack up to the job Urban did last year - not even in the same ballpark. And that's what I'm trying to point out. Instead of saying that Harbaugh will be in the playoffs in his 3rd year like you did, you better take a look at that Scarlet & Gray monster to your south. And for that matter, I hope you keep discounting MSU and poking fun of Dantonio. You might be in for a big letdown in a few years (if Harbaugh is still there). Winning championships and getting into the playoffs is easier said than done.

Many SEC followers believe Urban fled Gainsville because of the monster that Saban was building in Tuscaloosa.

Oh really ? Well, we kind of took care of that BS in January, didn't we ? If you follow the sports sites lately, it's now Saban making the excuses why he lost (NFL draft status impacting the play of his players). Sorry, Nick, after going up 21-6. the Buckeyes took your a$$es apart. Quit the dam* whining. BTW, "The Chase" that Urban kept referring to during the season and after the two playoff games was directed at winning the championship and really pointed at meeting up with Alabama. The Buckeyes and Urban wanted a piece of that team's a$$ BAD, REAL BAD. Doesn't sound like fleeing Gainsville because of Saban to me. And you saw the result. Look at Urban's record in championships and when he's an underdog. I actually feel much more comfortable with him in charge for a huge game than either Woody or Tressel and it's not close. He's a stone cold killer and when Harbaugh can consistently start winning the ultimate championship, I'll be impressed. Think about this: the Buckeyes were underdogs against Wisconsin (5 1/2 points), Alabama (9 to 10). and Oregon (7 to 8 points). That is called clutch, exceptional coaching.

BTW, you hear some of the same BS on the west coast about Harbaugh bolting because of getting owned by Petey and the Seahawks. You and I both know that's BS but my point being anybody can spin a situation.

[
BTW, you hear some of the same BS on the west coast about Harbaugh bolting because of getting owned by Petey and the Seahawks. You and I both know that's BS but my point being anybody can spin a situation.

Harbaugh bolted from the west coast because an idiot is in charge of San Francisco and people are going to see how that team fares without Jim at the helm. In terms of Pete Carroll, Harbaugh beat him on several occassions when Pete had superior teams at USC. As far as the victory you got over Alabama in January-That is great and especially for the BIG 10, however that is one victory and OSU has very few against both Bama and the SEC. Michigan on the other hand has usually done well against the SEC with the exception being the RR/Hoke years which are certainly worse than your Cooper years. JH will do very well in Ann Arbor and most people will catch on to that pretty quick this year. Michigan will not look like the same team they have been. They have a very tough schedule and they play MSU and OSU at home. I think they will win one of those games in an upset this year at home. In the end, I do think Urban Meyer is a great COLLEGE coach, however, when he arrived in both Gainsville and Columbus, he inherited rosters that were LOADED with future NFL players. Saban, when arriving in Tuscaloosa inherited an unorganized mess. he quickly turned it around and as long as he is in Tuscaloosa you can bet that Alabama will be in the thick of a title hunt year after year. OSU will also be in the thick of the hunt under Meyer and the Michigan game will begin to take on a new meaning again. Harbaugh did not inherit the problems that Saban did at Bama, however he did inherit an offense with talent that has been negelected during Hoke's tenure after Robinson left. Jim will win and he will win big at Michigan over time. The real question will be whether or not he chooses to stay in a place that will look at and treat him as the second coming of Bo? His success at Michigan may give him another shot in the NFL with a team that is willing to give hiom total control like the Seahawks did to Pete. In the meantime, we Michigan fans are going to begin to jump on a ride that we will not want to get off of. Let's hope Jim doesn't put too much pressure on Urby which causes him to bolt back to the SEC. Good luck this year!!! nice discussing this with someone who does not personally attack us folks here in South Carolina. Hell, the Cocks are good too and Spurrier is a GREAT college football coach but he could not win in the NFL. Harbaugh did though and quite rapidly.

nice discussing this with someone who does not personally attack us folks here in South Carolina.

Obviously we don't agree on too many things but no need for vicious, personal attacks on these boards. I've been to both Columbia and Charleston on business a few times before I retired and loved both places, especially Charleston. Our game on Nov. 28 should be interesting to say the least. I traveled to that game in 1969 (sophomore at OSU) when a young rookie coach named Bo upset the then supposedly "unbeatable" Buckeyes so I never take any OSU-UM lightly. It was my last visit to your stadium. Still have an occasional nightmare 46 years later about that game. Like I said in one of my previous posts, I'll gladly take a one point win no matter who the coaches are at the time.

I live in Charleston and I am very proud of the way our city has handled our two recent tradgedies. It truly is a smaller version of New Orleans and the beaches are fantastic here. There has been a massive influx of people from both Ohio and Michigan to the Palmetto State because of the job markets in those two states. Volvo is opening a new plant here in 2017 and they will hire over 6,000 people. As for OSU and UM, the game will continue to be the highlight of the season in November. Michigan's addition of Jim Harbaugh will make it even more of a highlight when he gets things rolling in Ann Arbor in the next three years. It is embarassing how a good program like Michigan behaved from 2007 through 2014. The wrong kind of politics (not focused on the program) led to the knee jerk hiring of Rich Rod, his demise, and the hiring of Brady Hoke because he was at one time an assistant on the old staff. I was really embarassed to watch Michigan play last year and was very angry watching Brady do what he was doing because I know he knew better because he did work under Carr at one point. I truly thought the program was doomed and held my breath when it seemed to be another good ole boy process with the appointment of Jim Hackett as interim AD. As the month of December moved along and Michigan had not hired a new coach, I thought that Harbaugh might be a possibility and I was correct. He should have been hired in 2007, however, he probably would have bolted for the NFL like he did at Stanford. He is exactly what will save Michigan football and he will eventually create a monster. It will be fun watching both monsters fight it out in November now.

Recruiting stars and recruitment rankings are NOT the final determination for where a team winds up in January.Of course the talent helps but coaching matters much more.

I'm not claiming that recruiting rankings and stars are the final determination for where a team winds up in January. If that was the case, Hoke would still be at Michigan ! What I've been trying to point out is that there's a reason the top recruiting teams year end and year out play for the championships. Does every 4 & 5 star turn out to be college starters and stars ? Of course not. I'm not arguing about coaching - especially player development counting as much as recruiting. Perfect example, and why Urban is a great, great coach, is the job him and his staff did in coaching the team up after the Virginia Tech loss - especially the OL and defense. That was the same OL that gave up 7 sacks to VT (looked like a jail break at times) but improved to the point of shredding Alabama's 8 to 9 man deep, NFL-type defensive line to the tune of 280+ rushing. Any way you want to slice and dice it, that's EXCEPTIONAL coaching and why we won the NC. I want to SEE Harbaugh do something like over an extended period of time without bolting. I went to my first Buckeye game in 1962 and can honestly say that last year was the best overall job of coaching in a single season in my lifetime. I remember the Woody and Tressel teams very well and none of their seasons stack up to the job Urban did last year - not even in the same ballpark. And that's what I'm trying to point out. Instead of saying that Harbaugh will be in the playoffs in his 3rd year like you did, you better take a look at that Scarlet & Gray monster to your south. And for that matter, I hope you keep discounting MSU and poking fun of Dantonio. You might be in for a big letdown in a few years (if Harbaugh is still there). Winning championships and getting into the playoffs is easier said than done.

Many SEC followers believe Urban fled Gainsville because of the monster that Saban was building in Tuscaloosa.

Oh really ? Well, we kind of took care of that BS in January, didn't we ? If you follow the sports sites lately, it's now Saban making the excuses why he lost (NFL draft status impacting the play of his players). Sorry, Nick, after going up 21-6. the Buckeyes took your a$$es apart. Quit the dam* whining. BTW, "The Chase" that Urban kept referring to during the season and after the two playoff games was directed at winning the championship and really pointed at meeting up with Alabama. The Buckeyes and Urban wanted a piece of that team's a$$ BAD, REAL BAD. Doesn't sound like fleeing Gainsville because of Saban to me. And you saw the result. Look at Urban's record in championships and when he's an underdog. I actually feel much more comfortable with him in charge for a huge game than either Woody or Tressel and it's not close. He's a stone cold killer and when Harbaugh can consistently start winning the ultimate championship, I'll be impressed. Think about this: the Buckeyes were underdogs against Wisconsin (5 1/2 points), Alabama (9 to 10). and Oregon (7 to 8 points). That is called clutch, exceptional coaching.

Most people know why Urban left Florida, and it had nothing to do with Nick Saban. Alot of lies to player's and some hankey-pankey made the OSU move much easier for
his wife and daughter to accept.

..... once again relax bucknuts after all its only Jim Harbaugh LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT