ADVERTISEMENT

Given the rule exists I am glad we are benefiting..

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
with grad transfers and may benefit more in the coming weeks but I think the rule stinks and should be eliminated. Any transfer should have to sit out a full year. If a guy ends up in college for 6 years, so be it.

Disagree.

Let's leave off UM. Any guy who gets his undergraduate degree should be rewarded with free agency. Isn't this sort of an incentive to stick around to his current university.

So a guy feels he is getting shafted. Lets now use UM. Countess gets his degree. He gets hit with a new coaching staff. Why shouldn't a player who stays 4 years be able to go to different program? I have no problem with it.

Now lets go to a different scenario. Player is at Illinois. Hates his head coach. Seems like a real life example. Realizes he made the wrong choice but has friends and is dedicated to getting his degree. He transfers..he has to pay his own way for a year? Why not offer the young man a carrot stick that he can end his football playing career with a fresh start if he finishes what he started.

It's great. This is exactly what the NCAA should be encouraging. Here is another way of looking at it. Do you think as a UM fan I am bitter or resentful that someone like Countess chose to go somewhere else to grad school? Of course not. He seems like a fine young man and I wish him well....anywhere. He should be able to go anywhere and play immediately if welcomed.

It's a great rule. The only one the top of my head that I like about NCAA football.

Reality Man

Reactions: TDFever
I just can't wrap my mind around the desire of some to handcuff these guys any more than they already are. The grad transfer rule is a win/win for just about everyone. Take Jake Rudock. He had already been told that he was not going to be the starter. Very few QBs are going to stick around for a 5th year unless he's going to play. So he was almost surely going to quit the team and move on with his life. But, instead, he gets an opportunity to extend his career, get a jump start on a graduate degree. And he strengthens another team that needs him more. How is that bad in any way...because from Iowa's perspective, they might have preferred to have him around just in case? He wasn't going to stay to be a backup anyway....

I just can't wrap my mind around the desire of some to handcuff these guys any more than they already are. The grad transfer rule is a win/win for just about everyone. Take Jake Rudock. He had already been told that he was not going to be the starter. Very few QBs are going to stick around for a 5th year unless he's going to play. So he was almost surely going to quit the team and move on with his life. But, instead, he gets an opportunity to extend his career, get a jump start on a graduate degree. And he strengthens another team that needs him more. How is that bad in any way...because from Iowa's perspective, they might have preferred to have him around just in case? He wasn't going to stay to be a backup anyway....
Thoroughly agree.

Four years of FB servitude in exchange for four years of higher education. Seems like a pretty equitable contract. If the school chooses not to utilize all four years, the contract is still satisfied after four, regardless.

Good rule. Wonder what people in Madison and Seattle think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT