ADVERTISEMENT

Give me your Mt. Rushmore of both pro coaches

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
and UM coaches. I will be missing some guys...tell me why you picked a particular coach and/or sport.

Pro

Lombardi. Set the standard
Auerbach. See above. Loved how he drafted Bird although he knew he wouldn't have him for a year.
Coach K. Remember...he did this at Duke...not UCLA.
Wooden

UM

Schembechler
Yost
Hutchins
Crisler

Explain your criteria that allowed coach K and Wooden to fall under the "pro" category and maybe more people can put together their own list. lol

Pro

Vince Lombardi
Red Auerbach
Casey Stangel
Scotty Bowman

College

John Wooden
Bear Bryant
Mike Krzyzewski
Dean Smith

Unfortunately, I would have put Paterno on the listbefore the Sandusky mess. Just don't see many football coaches that can match Wooden, Coach K and Smith besides Paterno. Saban has a shot, but he is too young

you forget Sam Gilbert, Wooden's "bag" man

and the first booster prohibited from stepping foot on a campus. A lot of John's greatness involved big bucks.

what was LLLLLouyd's record vs. O-lie-O?

I honestly don't know. And is there a sidebar on Tressel's illegal wins?

How is Coach K "pro"??? He coaches college, not the Pros. Also, did you just honestly forget to include Phil Jackson - let me guess - you probably were a Pistons fan and hated MJ, Kobe, and Shaq? The man has 11 championships and is an icon in the NBA. Also, where is Bill Belichek? Coach K is a college coach.

If you are thinking pure Pro sports I would put the following folks on the list:
Phil JacksonScotty Bowman (9 Stanley Cups)Vince LombardiRed AuerbachBill B.
If you are thinking college sports I would put the following folks on the list:
Mike K.John WoodenBear Bryant (6 National Championships)Pat SummitGeno A. (UConn women's coach)
Seems like you are making up random lists mixing and matching whatever you like. Miss your morning coffee there dude? :)

Re: what was LLLLLouyd's record vs. O-lie-O?

Arrowhead, who would your Mt. Rushmore of "shady" coaches be?

Thinking:
TresselCarrollBoeheimJoe Pa
Thoughts?

Pretty good list. Phil gets an asterisk for always having GOAT players on his teams.

I'd add Anson Dorrance (NC womens soccer) and Dan Gable (Iowa wrestling) to your college coaches.

By that token let's remove all coaches. Coach K has had 5 5-stars every year. Bowman had 4 All-Stars every year. Red had the Top 3 players in the NBA for his 10 championships. Wooden had Kareem. GOAT does not equal championships - it takes a great coach to make the most of his/her talent.

shady??

Tressel,
Carroll
Mike White
Don James
John Cooper
Wooden
Tarkanian
J. Johnson
J. McKay
J. Sherrell (sic)

Boy, there's probably another 100 that I've forgotten but I'm "working"

What no Urban on the shady list?? You guys are slipping...Tress was shady. Cooper wasn't shady enough apparently because he didn't win anything that mattered.

Urban may do things to his advantage but within the guidelines of the rules (or so I think). He's a darn good coach, no question about it. Tress was just a dirty coach that lied through his teeth and yet Columbus still reveres him

Originally posted by tarun262:
Urban may do things to his advantage but within the guidelines of the rules (or so I think). He's a darn good coach, no question about it. Tress was just a dirty coach that lied through his teeth and yet Columbus still reveres him
First of all, Tressel was a very good coach. That's why he won 5 National Championships.

Secondly, Columbus doesn't revere him. That's just what you guys like to say in your redundant efforts to villainize Ohio State. Buckeye fans are thankful for the good he did with the team and program, but also hold him accountable for his mistakes.

Sure we'll applaud him when the 2002 National Championship team is being honored as he was a significant part of that. But there's also a reason why he needed to leave Columbus to have any further career be it coaching, college administration, or the media.

"Columbus doesn't revere him". He was hoisted up on the player's shoulders and was given a standing ovation. What do they do for coaches they actually revere...throw hundred dollar bills at him like they do for their recruits?

They cheered Tressel and the team for winning the National Championship. You know how many people got on social media and message boards after that and started a movement to bring him back as head coach? None.

I understand the need for your middle school mentality however. If you can't beat someone, it helps to make them the boogie man.

A National Championship that has an asterix next to it you mean? Since he cheated during his entire tenure!!! I',m sorry - you can drink all the Kool-Aid about Tressel being a great coach but if you cheat and win NTs that does not count. Heck if everyone was allowed to do what he did, I am sure there would be godly coaches everywhere. Either way, no point arguing with you but you love to beat a dead-horse. He was a world class cheater as evidence by all his players. Clarret should not have even being playing in the NT championship game - what do you have to say about that? I'm sure you will come up with 15 excuses.

My bad. I meant (pro & college) and UM coaches. I probably should

have had 3 categories instead. Sorry*

Reality Man

I'm beating a dead horse. The OP had nothing to so with Tressel. You guys made it an issue.

Again your argument is taking a portion of fact and then generalizing. Where do you get Tressel was a c cheater, "as evidence by all his players"?

You ask about what I have to say about Clarett playing in the National Championship Game? I only need one excuse. He was eligible.

- Red'a another - he gets revered as well, but there were far fewer teams and distribution of talent during that era's.
- Yes, every champion team had all stars, but not multiple top 10-20 all time players on your team (Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe).

I'd out Popovich (sp?) on that list before Phil.

As per usual, The PSU Psycho fails reading comprehension.

The post called for pro coaches, or UM coaches. Does Joe qualify?

I agree, Paterno qualifies for a Rushmore of College coaches... if the Black Hills can yield a granite outcrop big enough for another Lincoln-esque nose.

This post was edited on 3/26 2:14 PM by SkunkBear

Re: As per usual, The PSU Psycho fails reading comprehension.

It's hard enough to come up with a Rushmore of NFL, NBA, College Football, or College Basketball Coaches, impossible to get a consensus of all coaches, professional or not.

Originally posted by SkunkBear:
The post called for pro coaches, or UM coaches. Does Joe qualify?

I agree, Paterno qualifies for a Rushmore of College coaches... if the Black Hills can yield a granite outcrop big enough for another Lincoln-esque nose.

This post was edited on 3/26 2:14 PM by SkunkBear
I see you and troll inc. are gone from FOS.

Originally posted by tkirschner:
Originally posted by Beezzz:

Originally posted by tkirschner:
Originally posted by Beezzz:
Any serious list without Paterno on it is useless.
Your right. Paterno will always be considered useless
Posted from Rivals Mobile
But not as useless as you.
Ooooooouch. You really put me in my place.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
flush.r191677.gif

And it took no effort.
This post was edited on 3/27 9:56 AM by Beezzz

You "see?"

A medical marvel.
I see you and the other clowns are gone from FOS.

Re: *

This post was edited on 3/27 10:07 PM by SkunkBear
Out anyone lately? Encourage people to hide behind houses?

No one hid behind a house because they would've seen an attached gararge.

At the risk of illuminating my feminine side……college coaches? Geno Auriemma is crafting a pretty Rushmore-like resume.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT