ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread, Jan 30 MSU @ JLA*

Yeah...

That should have counted.

The intent to blow the whistle rule (which I think the NHL got rid of) is the worst rule in hockey. That puck was never frozen. Official may have had a claim if Hildebrand was over it - but it didn't look like the puck was under his leg.

That was a break.

I don't like how our PK collapses (3 guys is different though) with the skill you guys have out there. We're giving up the slot area and it's open range on Hildebrand.

I think you guys are playing really tentative right now. This isn't the same Michigan team that I caught glimpses of the past couple weeks. Problem is we haven't taken advantage of it.... We've had some good chances and can't hit the net.

Still a lot of games going on that can and probably will impact this...

but that loss has dropped Michigan 2 spots to 14. Since they only play the one game this weekend, I expect Michigan could drop a couple more spots after tomorrows games. Hard to tell until all the scores are in.

Re: Still a lot of games going on that can and probably will impact this...

How did we play? Clearly our offense was held in check as MSU has a good goalie, but did we at least play well on defense and dud Zach play well too? I didn't see the game.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I didn't see it, only heard it on the radio so it is hard to get a real feel for how we played, but from how it sounded Michigan carried the play for long stretches, just couldn't score goals. This is the first game in a few weeks where they have had to play a really solid goaltender (although Rumpel from Wisconsin is usually better than he seemed to be last week).

Michigan did score a second goal that would have given them the lead, but that was waved off on yet another review that went against Michigan (again this is radio only, but from what they were saying it was a goal, but as usual no reason was given for why the goal was waved off, just that it was no goal). Hard to tell how a goal there may have changed the complexion of the game as Michigan went on the power play right after that (score a goal, get a bit of a jump on the power play and maybe a third goal, who knows and we never will).

Sounded like both of MSU's goals were those fluky weird bouncing puck things that catch a goalie going one way when suddenly the puck is coming back the other (that was the second). The first one the puck took a strange bounce off the boards, leading to a scoring chance that Nagelvoort couldn't stop (at least that's how it sounded).

Think back to the days of Ron Mason and those plodding boring games where the Spartans didn't score a lot of goals, but they won a lot of games behind good to great goaltending and stifling defense. That sounds like what MSU is becoming again (not surprising given Anastos' background).

In the end this is going to be one of those games that people look back on and wish they could get back. MSU is a better team than their record would indicate, but they are a team that Michigan should be able to beat. Hopefully we can get this one back next weekend, but I bet they are going to be wishing they were playing next weekend's game in front of the home crowd at Yost rather than down at Soldier Field; it's a game they really have to win at this point.

For those that care, not surprisingly after all of last nights games...

Michigan slipped to #15 in the Pairwise. Since we aren't playing any other games this weekend, don't be surprised if they slide out of the top 16 after the remainder of this weekends games. Still a lot of games to play, but they can't afford to lose more than about one, maybe two more the rest of the way if they want to get into a position to get into the NCAA tournament without having to win the Big Ten tournament.

Disagree on Michigan carrying the play - sounds like your radio guy is a wee bit biased. I'm sure I am too - but even the FSD guys commented on how MSU was playing right with Michigan all night long. MSU skated with Michigan last night, and you guys did not look like the same offensive team. I thought Michigan played very, very tentative throughout most of this game. I think Red even made similar comments that he was disappointed in how you guys played.

I was surprised after what I saw you guys do to Ohio State & Wisconsin (I didn't see the Minnesota games).

The only time during this game that I thought Michigan carried the play 5 on 5 was early on in the first couple minutes of the second period and first couple minutes of the 3rd period. MSU's goal in the 3rd period. Power plays you should carry the play, but the last one MSU actually did a good job getting to the puck and clearing the zone.

I thought MSU did a great job in front of Hildebrand - he wasn't called upon to make many difficult saves. I thought we did a good job getting to the loose pucks first in front the net and clearing it out of the zone. This is something I haven't seen a lot of this year.

I thought Michigan did a good job defensively - though MSU actually out-chanced Michigan (I think) by 1 after 2 periods. We were leading the shot on goal battle too until the end. MSU had some chances that if we had more skill up front, I think we'd be able to bury a couple more of those. Anastos even commented after 2 periods that he wanted to see more pucks hit the net (MSU shot a lot wide - though Michigan did too). Also thought your goaltending was pretty good too. He didn't have a chance on either goal - and he made the saves he should have made.

On the disallowed goal, it certainly should have been a goal. It was one of those 'intent to blow the whistle/whistle' no-goals. The puck for a split second appeared to be underneath Hildebrand's leg with your forwards poking away at it, but the puck was actually free - the official lost sight of it and blew his whistle. That was a break for MSU. I don't even know why that went to review - unless he was looking to see if it went in before he blew his whistle or intended to blow his whistle. (Edit: It was on a delayed penalty call - so I don't know if that constitutes possession by a goalie and the whistle must be blown - that's the only other thing I can think of)

Overall I thought it was a pretty even game with some good flow - until the first half of the 3rd period. The last 10 minutes though the flow returned. MSU kept Michigan's chances on the outside - and did a good job staying out of the box (for the most part). I suspect next week the effort will be much better from Michigan - and Hildebrand is going to be called upon a little bit more than he was last night.
This post was edited on 1/31 8:52 AM by MSUStudent

Yea, it's really hard to tell how things are actually going based just off radio. They are a Michigan play by play team and while Trainor is pretty even handed Randall is without doubt a bit of a homer, but then I think that is true of most all play by play for teams around the country. I've had to listen to other teams broadcasts in the past, including MSU's, when I couldn't get the Michigan one (still baffles me that an athletic department that makes the money Michigan does can't figure out how to do decent audio/video over the internet), and without fail the team who the broadcast crew works for always sounds better, even when they are getting pounded, which wasn't the case last night.

I just watched the highlights and while I still couldn't get any real sense for the over all flow of the game I would disagree with you on the first MSU goal. That was right down the slot, there was nobody in front of Nagelvoort, just him, the shooter, and the puck. He just didn't make the stop and I thought that was one he should have made in my opinion. The second one I would give him a pass on, it took a lot of strange bounces with people in front and actually ended up going off a Michigan defenders leg which gave it the final re-direct into the goal.

All that said, I think anyone who has followed Michigan this year would be the first to admit that they are going to give up goals. I anticipate they will give up at least two per game so it's always nice when they don't do that, but I expect it. The offense has to show up and put the puck in the net and that's something they couldn't get done last night. A lot of that you have to give MSU credit for, by keeping Michigan on the edges. I would also expect a much better game out of Michigan next weekend, but it's outside rather than at Yost so you never know how those are going to go.

Re: For those that care, not surprisingly after all of last nights games...

I care. Thanks, Steve. I should be back from here on in.

Well that went a little different than I expected. Probably didn't hurt...

that Minnesota won. After all was said and done yesterday Michigan actually moved back up one spot to #14 in the Pairwise. So still in, but to close to the border. Another one game weekend next week, that's a game that they really need to find a way to win.

Things won't get easier the rest of the way. After next weekend it's a road trip to Minnesota, a home and home with OSU, then host Wisconsin, then road trip to PSU, finish with a home and home with the Spartans. Gonna be a long slog, but they need to win a lot of those games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT