ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Game Thoughts On Michigan QB Commit Jayden Denegal

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** Michigan quarterback commit Jayden Denegal had a big game on Thursday night, completing 25-of-30 passes for 325 yards and five touchdowns. He also rushed for 29 yards and led Apple Valley (Calif.) High to a 47-13 blowout win over Phelan (Calif.) Serrano. Denegal is considered more of a bridge take as he is coming in after the future face of the program, JJ McCarthy, and potentially before Dante Moore, the crown jewel for next cycle. However, Denegal has flashed this season and has the athletic ability and arm to not only be a serviceable backup at the next level but a late career starter. I spoke to a source close to Michigan during my drive out to see Denegal, and he told me the Wolverines value Denegal's 'dog' mentality and willingness to be the hardest worker in the room.

*** And Denegal certainly worked hard this offseason. He was hovering close to 240 pounds at the end of his junior year. Now, Denegal is closer to 215 and looks really good at that weight. Denegal moved around well in the pocket and extended plays. He also had a couple of strong runs. I talked to an opposing coach that told me kids are afraid to tackle Denegal when he has a full head of steam. However, Denegal prefers to stay in the pocket. He has plenty of arm strength and likes to get the ball down the field. Denegal worked with renowned quarterback trainer Danny Hernandez this summer and improved his footwork in the pocket as well as his overall mechanics and accuracy.

*** Still, Denegal is far from a finished product. He still has a bit of a windup in his throwing motion. I saw it when I was in Anaheim for his private workout (The Fort quickly pointed it out as well) and noticed it again in-game. Matt Weiss will need to help adjust once he arrives in Ann Arbor. Denegal also needs to use his lower body to really drive the ball. What's pretty impressive is the fact that Denegal is displaying really good arm strength despite not using his lower half. Once he learns to use it, he can unlock even more power. From a physical development standpoint, Denegal won't need much work. He's a big kid with above average athleticism that has already reshaped his body.

*** Denegal missed a couple of deep throws early in the game — the few incompletions he had came in the first quarter. I like standing on the sideline during games because I can listen in on what coaching staffs are discussing and pick up on their game plan. One coach screamed into his headset 'he's only looking deep!' The Apple Valley coaching staff adjusted and went with a lot more quick game, which allowed Denegal to get into a groove by hitting on high percentage throws. That eventually opened things up over the top and allowed Denegal to connect on a couple of beautiful deep balls for touchdowns. Having more consistent touch on those deep balls can help him take the next step in his game.

*** I did feel like Denegal held the ball for way too long at times — even when Apple Valley had adjusted. Denegal had the luxury of doing so as he doesn't play against the best competition out near the Mojave Desert but obviously will not against better competition and at the next level. In the first two games of his senior season, Denegal played against two good LA-area teams and struggled with interceptions. Denegal needs to make quicker decisions and have better anticipation.

*** Overall, Denegal is still a little rough in some areas, but there is still a lot to work with in terms of his build, arm strength, improved accuracy and work ethic. Weiss can get the most out of him, and Denegal is definitely willing to put the work in. As mentioned, Michigan really likes that about Denegal. Look, he's not oblivious. He knows he's coming in after JJ. But Denegal is embracing it. I like the fact that Denegal showed a lot of leadership on the sideline and was a guy his teammates were rooting for. Denegal is also a smart kid and should pick up on things quickly. He doesn't have the hype, but he does have a bit of a chip on his shoulder and is happy to have the opportunity to grow and develop at a place like Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News