ADVERTISEMENT

Farmington Harrison Closing?

scfanblue

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
Wow!!! This public school has been a powerhouse in Michigan prep football since it opened in 1970. Winning 13 state championships. When I grew up in Michigan in the 1980's, Farmington was a pretty affluent area. I wonder what has happened now. I was stunned when I read this.

Wow!!! This public school has been a powerhouse in Michigan prep football since it opened in 1970. Winning 13 state championships. When I grew up in Michigan in the 1980's, Farmington was a pretty affluent area. I wonder what has happened now. I was stunned when I read this.

Demographics in the district, plus Harrison is the oldest and most out-of-date (facilities wise) among the 3 high schools in the district (Farmington HS and North Farmington HS are the other 2).

Next door to the east, Southfield and Southfield-Lathrup are going to merge in the 2016-17 school year. Same dynamic.

Incredible. Harrison is actually the newest of the high schools in Farmington. It was built in 1970 and the facilities should be much better than the other schools. It is also centrally located in the district. One question I have is why would demographics be an issue with the school closing? I would think that would cause a potential increase in the amount of students unless one group is fleeing the school in fear of the incoming group! Michigan has lost a massive amount of its population. We have a huge number of kids at our school (Charleston, SC) who once lived in the Downriver Area, Bloomfield, Farmington. In fact, some of the parents went to school at Harrison. Is the employment siuation really that dire there? I grew up in the Downriver Area (Taylor-Dearborn) and moved away in 1985 and I can't beleive how much things have changed up there.

Incredible. Harrison is actually the newest of the high schools in Farmington. It was built in 1970 and the facilities should be much better than the other schools. It is also centrally located in the district. One question I have is why would demographics be an issue with the school closing? I would think that would cause a potential increase in the amount of students unless one group is fleeing the school in fear of the incoming group! Michigan has lost a massive amount of its population. We have a huge number of kids at our school (Charleston, SC) who once lived in the Downriver Area, Bloomfield, Farmington. In fact, some of the parents went to school at Harrison. Is the employment siuation really that dire there? I grew up in the Downriver Area (Taylor-Dearborn) and moved away in 1985 and I can't beleive how much things have changed up there.

The "demographic factor" is more a case of "less school-age children per capita" as opposed to people leaving Farmington/Farmington Hills wholesale. Districts like Pontiac, Detroit, Lansing, Flint, et cetera, of course have the latter problem.

You mention Taylor --- I've read speculation on Michigan HS football message boards that they will likely be down to one high school within 5 years. It was of course 3 high schools (Center, Truman, Kennedy) back in the day.

You mention Taylor --- I've read speculation on Michigan HS football message boards that they will likely be down to one high school within 5 years. It was of course 3 high schools (Center, Truman, Kennedy) back in the day.

Yep: My brother and sister graduated from Truman. It was the newest school in Taylor which opened in 1970 maybe? I attended Kennedy before moving to South Carolina in 1985. I remember playing football against Taylor Center and was shocked when I found out it closed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT