ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing

diggersdad

Sophomore
Nov 29, 2001
Anybody want to chime in and tell me the last time MSU, Duke, UK, Arizona, etc or any other "top tier" program got beat by 17 points? I have been a fan for 40 years...though sick of mediocrity. Beilein="great coach=totally mediocre. Guy has been in the big ten for 9 years and still doesn't think he needs to adjust his offense. Completely embarrassed by the UofM Bball program.

Anybody want to chime in and tell me the last time MSU, Duke, UK, Arizona, etc or any other "top tier" program got beat by 17 points? I have been a fan for 40 years...though sick of mediocrity. Beilein="great coach=totally mediocre. Guy has been in the big ten for 9 years and still doesn't think he needs to adjust his offense. Completely embarrassed by the UofM Bball program.

You mean like last week when Iowa beat msu by 13 (or does 4 points change everything for you) ? Or maybe you want to climb into the slime of CBB to get there.

Here is a better question....how many times to we need to get beat by quality teams in ONE season by double digits. Let's see...Purdue, SMU, Xavier.....when was the last time that happened to MSU. How many big ten championships does Izzo have.....how many Big Ten tourney championships does he have, how many sweet sixteens? You are like the rest of the fans on the site....you get excited if we get to the sweet sixteen every 5-10 years. Beilein will never get us to true championship status. Will always be mediocre. What stats can you pull out to prove this to be incorrect. Let's hire a coach with at least a foot in the 21st century.

DD, if your trying to imply that Beilein is not a good coach you won't get many takers. I don't know how long you've been a fan of UM basketball but we pretty much went through a 15 year dry spell prior to the arrival of Beilein. Since his arrival we have had very good success, winning the BIG championships and making it to the NCAA championship game. Obviously there is room for improvement but you cannot deny he has been a major improvement over the previous 2-3 coaches. I think we all agree that JB needs to do improve on the recruiting trail, particularly with the bigs, but he has bought a lot of time based on his achievements since his arrival. Be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: Jtrader
embarrassing is what you do to yourself every time you post. And P.S., he shouldn't adjust his offense. That'd be the dumbest idea ever.

Here is a better question....how many times to we need to get beat by quality teams in ONE season by double digits. Let's see...Purdue, SMU, Xavier.....when was the last time that happened to MSU. How many big ten championships does Izzo have.....how many Big Ten tourney championships does he have, how many sweet sixteens? You are like the rest of the fans on the site....you get excited if we get to the sweet sixteen every 5-10 years. Beilein will never get us to true championship status. Will always be mediocre. What stats can you pull out to prove this to be incorrect. Let's hire a coach with at least a foot in the 21st century.
U suck. Don't know a damn thing about basketball either.

Beilein is a good coach. I'm not trying to be patronizing. UM played for the NC a couple 3 yrs ago. No they don't make annual deep runs in the NCAA. Very few teams do. On the whole UM is an above average program with an above average coach. UM just doesn't gave enough players often enough to compete at the top level all the time.
Sadly, your biggest, and cross state, rival is an elite program with a HOF coach. If you compare yourselves to Izzo and MSU you're bound to be disappointed. Aspire and compete. That's all anyone can do. I actually think UM will make the tourney and can surprise.

Hey Digger, Chew on this five year sample size going into this year. Then hopefully realize the sky is not falling. We may underachieve this year or may simply be average because of talent, average recruiting, maybe some coaching issues. But a five year sample size is HUGE. The numbers don't lie. Enjoy. By the way, Maryland was 108-66 the last 5 years going into this year, 4 in ACC one in Big Ten, during a stretch that the Big Ten was as good or better than the ACC top to bottom.

5 year conference records (8 game separation in 5 year period)
Wisconsin - 65-25 (1-3 this year)
OSU - 63-27 (3-1 this year)
MSU - 59-31 (3-1 this year)
UM - 57-33 (2-1 this year)

Big Ten Titles Outright and Shared (even as can be)
OSU - 2
UM -2
MSU -1
IU - 1
Wisconsin - 1

Tournament highlights (absolutely equal give or take)
OSU 10-5 - one elite 8 - one final 4 (zero finals)
UM 10-4 - one elite 8 - one final 4(one final)
Wisconsin 13-5 - two final fours(one final)
MSU 11-5 - one elite 8 - one final four (zero finals)

Hey Digger----

FYI. UK got rolled by 18 at LSU just last week. Please wake up.

I think that Beilein's only fault is he does not use the full force of U of M in his recruiting. He appears to want to be the smartest guy in the room and find players that no one else cannot see their potential except him. He should be bringing in better recruits. He should be able to do at U of M. He wants to find players that fit his offense, but good players can play in any offense.

Hey Digger, Chew on this five year sample size going into this year. Then hopefully realize the sky is not falling. We may underachieve this year or may simply be average because of talent, average recruiting, maybe some coaching issues. But a five year sample size is HUGE. The numbers don't lie. Enjoy. By the way, Maryland was 108-66 the last 5 years going into this year, 4 in ACC one in Big Ten, during a stretch that the Big Ten was as good or better than the ACC top to bottom.
great post!!
5 year conference records (8 game separation in 5 year period)
UM - 57-33 (2-1 this year)

Big Ten Titles Outright and Shared (even as can be)
OSU - 2
UM -2
MSU -1
IU - 1
Wisconsin - 1

Tournament highlights (absolutely equal give or take)
OSU 10-5 - one elite 8 - one final 4 (zero finals)
UM 10-4 - one elite 8 - one final 4(one final)
Wisconsin 13-5 - two final fours(one final)
MSU 11-5 - one elite 8 - one final four (zero finals)

I think that Beilein's only fault is he does not use the full force of U of M in his recruiting. He appears to want to be the smartest guy in the room and find players that no one else cannot see their potential except him. He should be bringing in better recruits. He should be able to do at U of M. He wants to find players that fit his offense, but good players can play in any offense.
That's baloney.

Interestingly enough, I don't think I actually said that JB was a bad coach. He is simply a great example of the Peter Principle. We won't make the NCAA tourney for the second year in a row....that is simply mediocre. Great guy, wonderful coach with a pretty mediocre record. JB is not building a consistent, championship program. The stats shared in all the replies above show it....not many championships....MSU is a championship program consistently. JB will never get UofM to that consistency, never. I guess y'all are happy with mediocrity. You will look back at this a few years from now and agree.

Take this from MgoBlog....While it hasn't been a bad year—Michigan is 12-4; they were 10-6 at this point last season with two awful losses—it hasn't been the bounce-back many expected. The Wolverines have beaten the teams they should beat, but they've yet to take down a top-50 KenPom opponent in four tries, and that'll have to change if they want to make a tourney run.
MEDIOCRITY

I especially like this stat someone used "5 year conference records (8 game separation in 5 year period)
UM - 57-33 (2-1 this year)"

Well now, something to be proud of....4th place

Hey Digger----

FYI. UK got rolled by 18 at LSU just last week. Please wake up.
Diggers dad has obviously only been following college basketball for a couple of years. But I will acknowledge this team, even after last night still has a LONG way to go. I will also acknowledge it is somewhat frustrating that certain weaknesses with Beilein's teams persist. But the numbers I posted don't lie. The eye test of what Beilein has done with this program does not lie.

I especially like this stat someone used "5 year conference records (8 game separation in 5 year period)
UM - 57-33 (2-1 this year)"

Well now, something to be proud of....4th place
4th place? Hmmm. Which team has as many BTTitles in that stretch? You are unreal. Dude, give it up. The 8 game difference in 5 years is incredibly significant. Statistically it is almost a non-existent difference.

Take this from MgoBlog....While it hasn't been a bad year—Michigan is 12-4; they were 10-6 at this point last season with two awful losses—it hasn't been the bounce-back many expected. The Wolverines have beaten the teams they should beat, but they've yet to take down a top-50 KenPom opponent in four tries, and that'll have to change if they want to make a tourney run.
MEDIOCRITY
So mediocrity is holding serve, almost identically with the three other best teams in the big ten over a 5 year period? In every win/loss category that matters? I wonder what below average results look like?

Tonight. 17 points. And it's not even close to the first time. LOL!!!!!!!

Understood, and willing to eat my humble pie. So, how many Big Ten Championships did Tom Izzo win in his first 8 years...4. How many Big Ten tourney championships....4 in 19 years. 0 for JB....a guy I love BTW. How many sweet sixteens? Too many to count. All I am saying is that Izzo has built a dynasty....we still have a relatively mediocre record, and certainly not a dynasty, or even anything close to a Big Ten Title team EVERY year, as our in state rival has. Cannot won consistent B10 championships with a 3 point shooting team and a weak inside presence. JB, will never develop consistent champions with outside finesse shooters with no inside bangers. Never.
That said, I am surprised, and happy with the development of Donnal....but, Doyle, Robinson? Seriously, we couldn't do better than they? We have two tall "gomers" coming in next year, who will take a minimum of two years to develop. Recruit some true Bigs, then I might become a believer.

Interestingly enough, I don't think I actually said that JB was a bad coach. He is simply a great example of the Peter Principle. We won't make the NCAA tourney for the second year in a row....that is simply mediocre.

GTFO

You think we aren't making the NCAA tournament this year? I think it's more likely we get a 5 seed or better than we miss the tournament.

Understood, and willing to eat my humble pie. So, how many Big Ten Championships did Tom Izzo win in his first 8 years...4. How many Big Ten tourney championships....4 in 19 years. 0 for JB....a guy I love BTW. How many sweet sixteens? Too many to count. All I am saying is that Izzo has built a dynasty....we still have a relatively mediocre record, and certainly not a dynasty, or even anything close to a Big Ten Title team EVERY year, as our in state rival has. Cannot won consistent B10 championships with a 3 point shooting team and a weak inside presence. JB, will never develop consistent champions with outside finesse shooters with no inside bangers. Never.
That said, I am surprised, and happy with the development of Donnal....but, Doyle, Robinson? Seriously, we couldn't do better than they? We have two tall "gomers" coming in next year, who will take a minimum of two years to develop. Recruit some true Bigs, then I might become a believer.

What are you waiting to believe in? Nobody is doubting Izzo's lifetime achievement award? I not even sure you barely mentioned Izzo's in your original post. Your underlying message was that Beilein is failing and everyone else is better. Again, the last five year sample size says otherwise. By far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT