ADVERTISEMENT

Capt28

Kevin13

Michigan Man
Jun 26, 2001
Hey a question about the Blackhawks. I was happy to see the Flyers trade Kimmo Timmonen to them, so he would have one last shot at playing for a cup.

But, I'm surprised he's only playing 6-8 minutes a game. Seems like they have been going with a 5 man rotation for the most part and giving him a couple of minutes a period. Not sure what is the point of even dressing him at that point. Seems like the other 5 are going to really wear down as the playoffs continue to grind. What do you make of their defense rotation? Should he get more minutes or are they scratching someone else who should and could be playing more minutes?

Well, he was out of action for almost 2 seasons, I think, due to a problem with blood clots in his lungs, and he had not played any games this season when he arrived in Chicago late in the regular season. Plus he is 40 years old and he looks like he's 60 (in fact, he looks older than me). (But boy, he was good in his prime, 5 or 6 years ago, wasn't he?). So I think it boils down to his durability being in question. (Now, there was an article in the Tribune within the last couple of days in which he says it is tougher for him to get his legs going on the ice after he has been sitting on the bench for 5 - 6 minutes than if he could get into the game more frequently.)

In terms of why is he in the lineup at all, I think it boils down to, Quenneville doesn't trust anyone under 30 (or maybe doesn't trust anyone under 28 not named Toews or Kane). The Hawks have several presumably serviceable younger defensemen who could be the #5 and #6 D-men in the lineup but so far Q has preferred to go with Roszival and Timmonen.

Roszival is now injured and out for the rest of the playoffs, and David Rundblad will be in the lineup (and after about 3 shifts in his own end you will see why Q does not want him out there), so I expect Timmonen's MOI will increase.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT