ADVERTISEMENT

Can the B1G please start publicizing SEC oversigning?

michigangoblue999

All-League
Dec 21, 2011
It's so ridiculous that the SEC coaches are bitching about Michigan's satellite camps not being fair, while they get to sign many more players than Big Ten schools do.

How hard would it be to publicize the number of players signed at all Big Ten and SEC schools for the last 5 or 10 years? Let's see the numbers. Why aren't they all the same? This is something that every Big Ten AD and Delaney should be shouting from the rooftops.

Come on Big Ten people, sack up and get out your blowtorches on the SEC. What are you waiting for? You are getting blasted by these hypocrites. Time to fight back already.

Funny thing about these satellite camps --- do we really have any empirical evidence (as of the moment) that they actually are working for given Northern schools?

I know these only really became a thing in summer 2013, but is there anyone that U-M/OSU/ND/PSU has signed who has said "yeah, I was never even considering going there, but I went to their satellite camp and everything went from there."

I honestly do not believe these will be game-changers. They will help Northern schools at the margins --- but ONLY at the margins.

Regarding over-signing, the B1G can't throw stones --- because Ohio State is effectively doing it, even within the framework of the B1G's "rules" against doing so. Sign 25 every single year, cut and/or run-off the players who are no longer useful.

JT never did that, but Urban sure as hell is. Is what it is.

Funny thing about these satellite camps --- do we really have any empirical evidence (as of the moment) that they actually are working for given Northern schools?

I know these only really became a thing in summer 2013, but is there anyone that U-M/OSU/ND/PSU has signed who has said "yeah, I was never even considering going there, but I went to their satellite camp and everything went from there."

I honestly do not believe these will be game-changers. They will help Northern schools at the margins --- but ONLY at the margins.

Regarding over-signing, the B1G can't throw stones --- because Ohio State is effectively doing it, even within the framework of the B1G's "rules" against doing so. Sign 25 every single year, cut and/or run-off the players who are no longer useful.

JT never did that, but Urban sure as hell is. Is what it is.

I agree that the camps aren't going to make a huge difference. That's what makes the SEC's stance so ridiculous.

I don't care if one B1G school is oversigning, show me the numbers for the whole conferences. The SEC would have much more to lose by implementing a national rule against oversigning. I guarantee if we look at the average number of players signed by schools in the B1G vs. SEC, it would be very illuminating.

I hope that UM officials aren't holding their tongues out of deference to Ohio State. Gimme a break.

I agree that the camps aren't going to make a huge difference. That's what makes the SEC's stance so ridiculous.

I don't care if one B1G school is oversigning, show me the numbers for the whole conferences. The SEC would have much more to lose by implementing a national rule against oversigning. I guarantee if we look at the average number of players signed by schools in the B1G vs. SEC, it would be very illuminating.

I hope that UM officials aren't holding their tongues out of deference to Ohio State. Gimme a break.

Here are the numbers (I found this on reddit) --- no doubt it is SEC-heavy at the top, B1G-heavy at the bottom.

http://i.imgur.com/P8yraeY.png

Unfortunately, even if the SEC did have "the same oversigning rules as the B1G", they'd still find ways around it. They'd just do like Ohio State is doing today --- you announce which players left the program in late fall/early winter as opposed to the spring.

It's so ridiculous that the SEC coaches are bitching about Michigan's satellite camps not being fair, while they get to sign many more players than Big Ten schools do.

How hard would it be to publicize the number of players signed at all Big Ten and SEC schools for the last 5 or 10 years? Let's see the numbers. Why aren't they all the same? This is something that every Big Ten AD and Delaney should be shouting from the rooftops.

Come on Big Ten people, sack up and get out your blowtorches on the SEC. What are you waiting for? You are getting blasted by these hypocrites. Time to fight back already.
Delany already mentioned it once. I'm sure now that the SEC is up in arms again, he'll mention it again.

Here are the numbers (I found this on reddit) --- no doubt it is SEC-heavy at the top, B1G-heavy at the bottom.

http://i.imgur.com/P8yraeY.png

Unfortunately, even if the SEC did have "the same oversigning rules as the B1G", they'd still find ways around it. They'd just do like Ohio State is doing today --- you announce which players left the program in late fall/early winter as opposed to the spring.

What about making the maximum you can sign per class 21? How can you say that wouldn't alter your graphic?

What about making the maximum you can sign per class 21? How can you say that wouldn't alter your graphic?

Sure, that's fine by me --- it's actually an ideal solution.

That also has a zero percent chance of passing by the football coaches. Shoot, capping it at 24 per class wouldn't pass. Their protest would be in the form of "we used to be able to sign 25, now it's less: we're denying educational opportunities to young men, many who come from disadvantaged backgrounds!!!"

A completely disingenuous and BS protest, but that would be what would occur. (the real reasons they'd protest is it's much harder to do quick fix turn-arounds on programs w/ per-class signing caps, and that imperils their jobs)

I don't know if this would work, but perhaps a formula where based on your scholarship numbers as of the Monday before the season, we "project" attrition and your yearly cap for the following February is determined. A team would get relief for anyone who declares for the NFL draft in January.

Example: Cincinnati has 82 on scholarship prior to their opener, 15 of who are in their last year of eligibility. Based on historical norms over the years, expect "natural" attrition of 4 athletes. 82-15-4=63, Cincinnati can only sign 22 players in February 2016. If 1 player declares for the NFL Draft in January, the number is now 23 players. No matter what, the yearly number can't exceed 25, the total number can't exceed 85. And it's a HARD CAP --- none of this "counting back scholarships" for early enrollments which has become popular of late.

If there is more "natural" attrition than 4, that's tough luck for Cincinnati, they can still only sign 22 (this incentivizes not taking bad academic-risk kids). If there is less "natural" attrition than 4, their cap is even lower.

Admittedly, coaches wouldn't like my idea at all either. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT