ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Standings

24to12

Senior
Oct 11, 2010
Big Ten hockey standings are pretty tight: 4 teams within 2 points of one another: Minnesota, Michigan, Penn State, and MSU. But is there any great advantage in coming in first, considering that the tournaments are where the action is?

Not really. Though I think Minnesota proved this past weekend there's a pretty decent advantage to having the last line change.

Basically playing for first round bye in tournament. Like the odds of finishing 1 or 2.

Huge - coming in first means UM wouldn't have to win the tourney to get in

the ncaa's. Michigan would have gone either 8-0 or 7-1 to finish first, and that would mean an at large if they didn't win the tourney. They'd have to probably still win the semis to be safe.

This post was edited on 2/19 1:06 AM by maize_in_losgatos

Re: Huge - coming in first means UM wouldn't have to win the tourney to get in

Originally posted by alfadriver:

Where's MSU student to run the numbers....
I would say Maize is right - Michigan will need to go 8-0 or 7-1 at worse to win the Big Ten title. This means you would probably safely be in - even with an early Big Ten tournament exit.

I say that because, Minnesota isn't going to lose 2 games the rest of the way, IMO. Their schedule is too easy.

Penn State *might* get them at home. But I think Minnesota is playing too well.

I don't see us taking any points in Minneapolis, though we do seem to have a knack of getting them to shoot-outs.

Ohio State won't get them. I think they play PSU twice - will PSU win one in Minneapolis? Doubtful.

I see Minnesota going 7-1 the rest of the way - at worst (trying to take the shoot-out of the equation). Maybe a 6-1-1 situation. This means Michigan will need to win 7 of their last games - straight up - to win the title.

With the way Minnesota is playing right now compared to the way Michigan is playing right now, I'd say Minnesota is the favorite to win the Big Ten title at this point. Obviously anything can happen, but based on where things are at today.......

Originally posted by alfadriver:

First or second is a big advantage- get Thursday off. Other than that, eh.
I think it'll mean you'll get in the NCAAs without winning the Big Ten Tournament. So, I'd consider it pretty big. Saying that because I think you'll need to win 6-7 of your remaining games to secure a 2nd seed - and probably will need to win 7 or 8 to secure a Big Ten title based on Minnesota's schedule.

Now you may only need to go .500 to finish 2nd - which means you'll need to win the BTT to get into the NCAAs. But based on your schedule, I don't know that you guys have many L's left on it - though I know Penn State and MSU have played Michigan tough - and you have 3 road games between those two schools right there.

It seems tough to believe that even if we make it to finish 2nd, and then bow out on Friday, that we would still be in. Right now, we are tied for 16th, and wins over OSU and Wis are meaningless (so we'd better win). Wins over PSU and you guys have meaning, but are subdued (Minny swept us, and only climbed to 13, and we dropped from 12 to 16).

B1G's OC record, as well as our OC record, is really hurting.

I'd be happy if it happened, and it would be odd to be a 4 seed.

Projecting- it looks as if we just need to be 15? As only Atlantic does not have a team in the top 15 right now. Well.. assuming the top teams win their conference tournaments.

Still kind of a mess right now.

I always say you want to be 13th.

That should get you around 99.99999999999999999% of possibilities out there.

14th should be fairly safe....though you'll be cheering for the conference favorites.

15th and you'll be very nervous - You'd need all the conference favorites to win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT