ADVERTISEMENT

Big men...

tarun262

All-League
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2007
watching the NCAA...other then Mitch & Morgan, I feel like JB is the king of recruiting big guys that just seem really awkward (they don't seem stable, have confidence, etc). Even freaking Costello & Schilling look solid and more stable. Hopefully Doyle evolves.

This goes to the same sort of argument between Izzo vs. Beilein..

it's apples and oranges. They are different style coaches and they want different players. Hence in the JB system you see a guy like Dawkins emerge because he is a potent shooter whereas Izzo wants his guys hitting the glass.

JB doesn't need the traditional offensive big man. He wants a guy who can either 'roll'/Morgan or a guy who can rebound and step out to the perimeter. I think Doyle will get better but the most important question hasn't been asked....

Why would a low post big man want to come and play for JB? That is why the disparity exists between JB and others. See the Horford comments.

Reality Man

Re: This goes to the same sort of argument between Izzo vs. Beilein..

I am not talking about skills on court - Costello and Schilling don't have skills but they look rock solid, built and tough - can't say that about Horford, etc

O.k...but that still goes to the difference in the mindsets of both coaches

...Izzo...tough & hit the glass. Bang.

Beilein...skills and quick.

Sounds about right.

Reality Man

Re: O.k...but that still goes to the difference in the mindsets of both coaches

Other then McGary did you think any of our big men were skilled or quick? They have stank - Morgan was a beast. McGary was awesome but the rest just seem like a bunch of tall dude out there regardless.

Let's only focus on the 5 position in the JB offense...

Doyle will develop and needs work. First year in the system. I agree on Donnal...looks slow although he can step out. We will see.

Teske looks like a guy who can do some things (skilled) but not necessarily quick. It comes down to the fact that Morgan wasn't your traditional center...Horford was a reach and the beginning of the JB tenure (rebuilding).

McGary was the exception to the rule in the JB tenure..big time recruit landed. JB gets what he can get to play in his guard oriented offense and Doyle/Teske are compromises...somewhat skilled but o.k. athletically.

JB isn't going to get what Duke or Kentucky or MSU gets in regards to big men.

Reality Man

Re: Let's only focus on the 5 position in the JB offense...

Dude are you seriously missing the point? We don't need Duke or KY type big men just big men that are more coordinated and not clumsy. Schilling and Costello were not super highly rated recruits and they look far more coordinated (physically) then either of our big men. Our guys just look awkward doing layup drills - kinda like they have not been coached fundamentally - they look unathletic, etc. Look at Horford - he was from that mold as well. I am talking about getting big men that look big, etc - you don't need the Mitch McGary's of the world but more of the Jordan Morgan's of the world. They can be 2-stars and that would be fine - just greater physical presence. Seriously you ever watch Max B with layups - like he has zero moves around the basket...ZERO! Like I said, 2-stars out there that are better then that.

Re: This goes to the same sort of argument between Izzo vs. Beilein..

I agree. I've thought about that in the past. Why would a traditional low post big man want to play for coach B when his style doesn't suit them. Part of the reason why we don't land top 30 big men besides McGary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT