ADVERTISEMENT

August Is Near. Michigan QB Predictions

I second the emotion like Smokey Robinson sang. No one who was there before is going to step up because they already have and met with disastrous results. GBGB"74

I second the emotion like Smokey Robinson sang. No one who was there before is going to step up because they already have and met with disastrous results. GBGB"74
I tend to think Ruddock as well, but I wouldn't base everything on what guys did under Clappy and his clown staff. Ideally this year we'll have an actual college O line, and with it an actual running game. That right there makes the job of who is playing QB much more likely to be successful. Shane is getting actual big time coaching for the first time in his career, so it will be interesting to see how much he can improve.

I tend to think Ruddock as well, but I wouldn't base everything on what guys did under Clappy and his clown staff. Ideally this year we'll have an actual college O line, and with it an actual running game. That right there makes the job of who is playing QB much more likely to be successful. Shane is getting actual big time coaching for the first time in his career, so it will be interesting to see how much he can improve.

I agree. Imagine how Morris would be this year had he been coached to play at the division I college level? He would be very good at this point

Morris is going to win the job.

No offense but if Morris is named our starter then Michigan is certainly looking at 5-6 wins this year. He is a turnover machine who simply has not developed the skills to lead the Michigan offense this year. While he is nothing special, Ruddock protects the ball and his completion rate is excellent. Morris in the Spring game looked the same as he did in the bowl game two years ago when Michigan was embarrassed by KSU. The touchdown pass he threw in the Spring game was over Norfleet. Why else would Harbaugh bring in a guy with one year of eligibility? To lead the Wolverines in a very important 1st year while he develops the other youngsters. I predict Morris will transfer next year and possibly Malzone. Sucks for Shane but not being properly coached for two years is devastating to your development.

If Shane wins the position then great for him and he will have to had greatly improved from the spring. I remember how highly he was rated and how excited he was to be at Michigan a couple years ago. As a QB, he was screwed by Hoke especially his freshman year. Horribly coached by Borges and Nuss who was let go by Saban for a reason and it showed last year.

I'm Picking Shane. I don't think the one Minnesota game is the only way to judge him. I think he has the leadership quality JH is looking for. I don't think he will be a TO machine. He knows if he does not protect the ball, he will ride the pine

Last edited:
As a Michigan fan I would prefer that Shane wins out based on very very tough competition. Very rarely do you see teams be successful when you change your QB each year and if Ruddock were to win out it would be mean different QBs in the first 3 years under JH (I am assuming Morris would then start his Sr year). I am hoping Morris has shown tremendous improvement to win out and earn a starting role and hopefully stays as our starter for 2 years. Remember, he got zero coaching - he probably got more insights watching YouTube videos then what Nuss or Hoke gave him...shit look at how much DG regressed last year!!! Morris has talent and with coaching that talent hopefully comes out.
I don't buy this BS that Ruddock was brought in because they wanted to hand him the job - he has to fight for the job just like everyone else - I think JH has proven that throughout his career that nothing will be gifted.
The other thing to realize is that Morris is a leftie versus rightie so it changes O-line schemes as well slightly. I think this year we will see average QB from whomever wins but next year should be awesome as the Houston transfer kid will be eligible, Morris will be a Sr and Malzone, Speight, etc should all have developed. I do fully expect that one of our QBs will transfer this season though because of the log jam at the position in the next few years. I think the bigger question to ask is - who the heck will step up to catch balls from the QBs? WR by far is our weakest position - Darboh (who would not start at MSU or OSU) is our #1 WR with Chesson at #2 (who is average at best even by BIG standards). We need a crisp route runner and Butt to really step up otherwise regardless of who starts we will be in trouble on offense. My 2 cents.

Go Blue!

Interesting comments.

A while back I was with a UM associate AD who made bold predictions about the starting QB. "we're screwed if Griese starts this season." Of course, it was 1997 and the guy went on for a NC. Griese was, at best, just okay before his last season.

my point is, another year gives each player to develop and who knows who will develop the quickest.

Interesting comments.

A while back I was with a UM associate AD who made bold predictions about the starting QB. "we're screwed if Griese starts this season." Of course, it was 1997 and the guy went on for a NC. Griese was, at best, just okay before his last season.

my point is, another year gives each player to develop and who knows who will develop the quickest.

I agree - new coaches, new trainers, etc so a new opportunity. I think you have to assume QB play will be better then last year though. Still concerned about our WRs.

I think the bigger question to ask is - who the heck will step up to catch balls from the QBs?

The only thing that stops a drive quicker than a dropped pass is a terrible throw because the QB doesn't have time. I would question the OLine before anything.

Reactions: wrsmi
The only thing that stops a drive quicker than a dropped pass is a terrible throw because the QB doesn't have time. I would question the OLine before anything.
There is enough talent in the O-line and QB positions that I think we will be coached properly and be fine. However, there is a serious void of talent at WRs and you can only coach talent so much. My 2 cents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT