ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance Inflation...

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
Should UM acknowledge the attendance was under 100,000 for some games or does getting people into the seats free actually o.k.

I would think if you can get someone to come to your game then it doesn't matter if they pay or not. That being said...I do think UM should revise the attendance for at least one of the games to put the final 'bow' on where the program headed during this previous stretch.

Thoughts?

Reality Man
This post was edited on 4/19 12:38 AM by Reality Man

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/michigan-s-attendance-streak-was-boosted-with-60-000--free-tix-134958314.html

Re: Attedance Inflation...

Sure if all the other schools who announce attendance will release accurate figures. That is probably not going to happen though.

Giving away free tickets, fine, who cares ......

but the very definition of "attendance" the "number of people who attended, e.g., who are present."

I know everyone does it, but I have to laugh that the standard for "attendance" has become "tickets distributed, free or otherwise", as opposed to "people actually there."

The 100K attendance streak remains. Wink, wink, nod, nod .... but fair enough, it's a marketing thing for U-M. Not the only guilty ones.

When it's really close, I don't mind inflation. They should have bit the...

bullet at least twice last year by my estimation and announced the game between 85 and 95. Big deal. "streak" over. Wouldn't change anything about the program or our stadium.

keeping the image going instead of winning games

if we were winning you wouldn't be able to find a ticket anywhere. I'm glad the solution going forward was to hire Harbaugh instead of keeping this charade going..

theyre playing both sides now. ..

Used to be that they would count you if you bought a ticket but didn't show. Now they count you if you show but don't pay too.

Re: When it's really close, I don't mind inflation. They should have bit the...

Now that we know it was fudged, the streak is meaningless anyway. That was all about brandon's ego and not wanting to admit that it happened on his watch.

all in the interest of marketing...

you know what's better marketing that consecutive 100K attendance streaks?

National championships..

Re: 40,000? Today's actual attendance at The Beav?

Originally posted by SkunkBear:
All observers tend to agree.

Yes less than 40,000 in Ann Arbor. You never could count, fake Michigan fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT