ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here at the Michigan V Colorado Hail Mary Game?

BubbaJay75

Senior
Sep 11, 2011
I just watched a replay of that play and the crowd looked like their grandma just died. I can't imagine being there.

Those of you that were there, what was it like in the stands and the streets after the game? Just an insane throw by Kordell Stewart.

I was there. That one hurt badly!

I remember my friends and I saying that we would be seeing that replay forever. I hope that forever is still a long way away, but I see that replay far too often still.

Stewart was an amazing player though. I think in the right system he could have been a more successful QB.

That loss hurt less than Toledo though. For my money that was the absolute nadir.

I was there as a student. Crushing.

Had a friend visiting from Northwestern. He wasn't a hardcore sports guy so he says the stupidest thing possible - "Well at least it was a good game". I almost punched him right there.

I was there.....my first game ever. I was 7 years old. I still remember the lady behind me saying the game is over. The game my father says "im a Michigan fan I have seen us lose way too many games we shouldn't have its not over" then it happened. I didn't talk the whole way home and I remember holding back tears. The next game my dad chose to take me to was Memphis, to ensure I saw a Michigan win.

Second game as a freshman who grew up in Boulder

I grew up a Buffs fan, but that was as quiet as I have heard 103,000 people (the 3000+ CU fans went nuts). I had 11 answering machine messages from people I went to high school with. It was truly like a funeral in that stadium, but with more shock.

Truly surreal, but on a better note, none of my high school classmates wanted to talk about the 1996 or 1997 matchups with the Buffs. Funny.

Freshman year - I remember mumbling something dumb like "I guess you can't win 'em all" and thinking I was going to get my teeth knocked down my throat.

In a bar in San Francisco surrounded by Colorado fans

I can tell you that I was numb driving back across the Golden Gate Bridge afterwards, and for once, it wasn't due to alcohol. Will never forget that feeling. Thanks for bringing it up again :)

I was there, and it was my 20th birthday!

So devastating. My friend that I was at the game with, he grew up in AA, he just leaves the stadium when it happened! Remember, this is before cell phones and all - go back to his family's tailgate afterwards, everyone was asking where he was - I didn't know, he just left the stadium.
He ended up walking home several miles! We still joke about that all the time.

Re: I was there.

So were you like, three years old? You must have an excellent memory, brah
3dgrin.gif

Had to almost be carried out of the stadium...

I was in shock after the game...

Two of my buddies had to pretty much drag me out of the stadium.

Afterwards, I just sat under a tree (some say I was gnawing on one of the branches) until another buddy of mine's wife tried to tell me it was just a game. I am embarrassed at my actions after that moment...lets just say a football near me found the same precision and velocity of that final pass...

People walked out like Night of the Living Dead

The stadium was turned in to an instant morgue! I don't even remember the
Colorado fans making any noise as they were as stunned as we were.

First game my son ever attended with me, he like everyone else

was stunned. Will never forget that feeling.......ever.

Hell yes. I'm so tired of seeing replays as it still hurts.

I told the ND fan in front of me this year that he too will remember that game as I remember the CU game and will quickly grow tired of all the replays on ESPN Classic.

Yep...

Since then, I cringe every time I hear the overrated chant...

100K people went from screaming.....

To silence in a matter of seconds. Was like a bomb went off. I remember watching the CU players rushing the field and praying for a flag. Everyone just looked at the field stunned like their brains had been removed. It was wild....
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Re: I was in Vegas, spread was Colorado +4.5, it was insane

Winners became instant losers and losers became instant winners.

Re: What game? First I've heard of it - I don't think that happened?*

Awful

Yes, went from loud to silence in a split second.

Thanks for reopening that wound for me. I will never forget that game. I remember Colorado fans just going nuts on the golf course after the game while Michigan fans kind of wispered to each other with heads hung.

Was in my apartment in Oxford getting ready for a date, was on the phone

with her when he released it. Knew what was going to happen as soon as he let it go (think I yelled F%&K into the phone) when it was in the air. Needless to say the date didn't go all that well and she is now married to my old roommate.

Yep

It was crazy, felt like there was no way that just happened. Part of the reason the crowd was silent was 1. because that play just happened, but 2. a lot of the fans had already left because the game was thought to be in hand.

It was unreal, felt like we were mugged or something.

I'm glad they put up the new basketball center because after the Colorado game I just laid in the grass there, I couldn't believe what had happened.

Ugh, have to admit, I was so completely bummed that

I can't even tell you what it was like around me. I was completely, utterly, silent and sat in the stands for quite some time just numb. Came in from out of town with a friend, that was his first and (as it turned out) last Michigan game. We walked all the way back down town, I never said a word, and I somewhat recall he just kept muttering cuss words every now and again.

I had bought a brand new, stiff, fitted, traditional Block M ball cap before the game, and we were somewhere back in downtown when in a fit of rage I lifted off my head and slammed it straight down. No kidding, the damn thing bounced straight back up and landed in my hands. I laughed, put it on, and went on with the evening.

Yes, I Was There. I Took a Friend Whose Brother Did the Colo Play by Play

So, my buddy was thrilled, of course. My other weekly seatmates had joined into the "overrated" chant with 5:00 min to go and I warned that I had seen UM lose to Miami in a similar situation so wait until it is over. No kidding.

yep....

in that endzone on goalline. Rough ride home.

Stadium was so quiet you could hear the players celebrating on the field...

and I was probably 60 rows up in the opposite end zone.

Unforgettable.

ball caught right in front of me. endzone crowd went instantly from very loud and celebratory to uniformly silent and stunned. one of those hard-to-believe-it-happened, unforgetable moments.

2 yard line, southeast side, about 60 rows up, right in front of me...

when it hit Law/receiver and bounced up, you could see Westbrook behind them, you could see what was going to happen. Stunned crowd in a comma walking out. Very tough loss, they had just beaten Notre Dame on Remy's last second FG. Colo was pretty highly ranked, Mich had about a 12 point lead and a *good* team. Later in the season lost at home to the undefeated PSU team in a very good CFB game. Another year of what COULD have been.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT