ADVERTISEMENT

Any early departures expected?

BradyThomas

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
Especially if Michigan can upgrade at goalie, the team looks very good next year even with Hyman leaving. Kyle Connor is a first round draft pick and leading the USHL in scoring. That could all change if the team loses a bunch of player prematurely. Any word on that front?

I'm curious about Larkin. Good enough to leave, but the Red Wings don't generally have draftees leave early.

Werenski needs to be drafted before we know anything about him.

Compher and Copp- I don't see Copp going, but maybe Compher.

it will be interesting to read what is found out.

I really think this team has a one-year window to make the Frozen Four in 2015-16, and I could see another drop off after that, pending this summer.

Yes, Larkin, Werenski, Compher and Copp are the top prospects. I think a lot of the key players will return, but there is usually a surprise or two. Werenski and Kyle Connor's status could be impacted by which team drafts them, and could recommend the major junior option too.

What style of play does Kyle Connor have? Would like to see him and Larkin paired together next year.

15-16 could have the following:
Sr. class of Copp, Selman, Nieves and Racine
Turning pro candidates of Larkin, Werenski, Compher, Downing and who knows how Connor will play in year 1.

The 16-17 team could be thin with top line scorers and the continued ? in goal.

During the Saturday night game, I was surprised to hear the announcers say at one point that "some analysts" think Downing could sign a contract a step into the Florida Panthers lineup next week. I could see Downing (and a few others potentially) being persuaded that they have advanced their talents all they can playing in a 36-38 game college season and need to turn pro and play a 60-70 game minor league season. But I don't see Downing as ready to suit up for an NHL team (even if it were a bad NHL team like Edmonton or Phoenix).

Same thought, but I could see after another year getting fatigued by the way his physical style of play is fairly/unfairly called in the league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT