ADVERTISEMENT

Another commitment post coming...film looks great. These guys

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
from Alabama look good. This guy is impressive. What a steal. I saw the tape on Davis and thought he was the best rb I have seen recruited by UM in the last 5 years and next thing you know he is offered by LSU and Florida?

HIs last name is Johnson. Looks good. I'll take guys like this everyday and twice on sunday.

Reality Man

from Alabama look good. This guy is impressive. What a steal. I saw the tape on Davis and thought he was the best rb I have seen recruited by UM in the last 5 years and next thing you know he is offered by LSU and Florida?

HIs last name is Johnson. Looks good. I'll take guys like this everyday and twice on sunday.

Reality Man
These last three days have been a dream but I have a serious question. We all read the rules about these sateilleite camps. In the last three days pictures of Harbaugh signing stufff has been online and now the front page post says this LB was offered at the camp which is supposedly illegal (talking about recruiting at the camps).

I'm guessing this guy was offered in home or at the school technically after the officially hours of camp ended but I'm just wondering.

Great question. Sure there is a loophole but I would love to get some clarification.

Reality Man

Kid's film is impressive. To say he has an uncanny knack to get to the ball is an understatement.
Agree with Cancun...does remind me of Ian Gold. Great instinct, aggression and form.

The Rivals recruitment process is a sham and it is all about money. Parents that push their kids and spend the money for countless amounts of combines can get their kids showcased. I have said that here before and I have been coaching high school football for 22 years in the South and there are plenty of kids who can be developed into fantastic football players with proper dedication and coaching. The stars ratings work out for some kids and for many more they do not. There have been plenty of 5 stars that turned out to be duds and Michigan has had a few in my opinion. The Johnson kid is an excellent football player with a tremendous upside who has been playing against outstanding competition. He has room to grow physically and he will be DEVELOPED as a player. I remember a couple years ago when a columnist out of San Diego wrote an article about Brady Hoke calling him out by saying that he was "star struck" in the recruiting process and because of this he had lost his coaching ability that he had by taking kids and turning them into college football players like he had quickly done at San Diego State. The columnist went on to say that Brady reliance on the "stars" beacme his mantra for "this is Michigan for godsakes." This was so true about Hoke. I am thrilled to see that Harbaugh is scanning the talent in these states that has been overlooked. He is rapidly rebuilding the UM program with this type of mindset and recruiting.

Reactions: bocalawyer
great post! Ratings and "camps" are all about the money. Ratings sell "subscriptions" to various services, some even rated by former postal service employees. JH is a proponent of seeing not believing in ratings. Just look at his Stanford recruiting lot, as an example

The Rivals recruitment process is a sham and it is all about money. Parents that push their kids and spend the money for countless amounts of combines can get their kids showcased. I have said that here before and I have been coaching high school football for 22 years in the South and there are plenty of kids who can be developed into fantastic football players with proper dedication and coaching. The stars ratings work out for some kids and for many more they do not. There have been plenty of 5 stars that turned out to be duds and Michigan has had a few in my opinion. The Johnson kid is an excellent football player with a tremendous upside who has been playing against outstanding competition. He has room to grow physically and he will be DEVELOPED as a player. I remember a couple years ago when a columnist out of San Diego wrote an article about Brady Hoke calling him out by saying that he was "star struck" in the recruiting process and because of this he had lost his coaching ability that he had by taking kids and turning them into college football players like he had quickly done at San Diego State. The columnist went on to say that Brady reliance on the "stars" beacme his mantra for "this is Michigan for godsakes." This was so true about Hoke. I am thrilled to see that Harbaugh is scanning the talent in these states that has been overlooked. He is rapidly rebuilding the UM program with this type of mindset and recruiting.
And Dantonio, with his works and wonders, shall sway the masses.

Recruiting is unbelievably important. Just as important in my opinion as coaching. However, recruiting is much more about scouting and evaluation...see Dantonio. Let's leave off development.

Not saying a group of 5 stars and high level 4 stars don't mean anything. It does because these are the no brainer type high level guys you can see on film.

That being said...and this is an original comment by RM...the difference between a low 4 star and a high 3 star is insignificant. It's what many fans still don't truly get.

Do people realize how many football players are out in America? It's a huge country. Look at the NFL draft...under the radar guys that get drafted and make rosters.

One last thing which I think is even the most important thing...people just fall in love with how fast guys are...it's not track and field. It's about flexibility/strength, quickness,(based on position), intelligence, hard work. It's football.

Recruiting is unbelievably important. Just as important in my opinion as coaching. However, recruiting is much more about scouting and evaluation...see Dantonio. Let's leave off development.

Not saying a group of 5 stars and high level 4 stars don't mean anything. It does because these are the no brainer type high level guys you can see on film.

That being said...and this is an original comment by RM...the difference between a low 4 star and a high 3 star is insignificant. It's what many fans still don't truly get.

Do people realize how many football players are out in America? It's a huge country. Look at the NFL draft...under the radar guys that get drafted and make rosters.

One last thing which I think is even the most important thing...people just fall in love with how fast guys are...it's not track and field. It's about flexibility/strength, quickness,(based on position), intelligence, hard work. It's football.
Hey there Reality Man. I like your post. Most MSU fans know what you're talking about. MSU's most recent success has been about the 2010 and 2011 classes. I'll ask you to take a moment to look at those classes, star ranking, and #rating (e.g. 5.7, 5.5, 5.8) - recruit by recruit. It's an eye opener. If JH can evaluate, ignore ratings. That's where the MSU faithful are with MD. There are no sure bets, but there are patterns...sort of.

I think Dantonio is a great coach...period. Great at development and evaluation. Great at motivation. Built a fabulous program at MSU.

Here is what a guy posted on Harbaugh...sounds a lot like Dantonio...thank goodness.

If anyone researched Harbaugh's recruiting at Standford, you would see nothing has.really changed but school colors. The guy recruits above average athletes that can compete and multiple positions and sorts in out on the field. Having already done the research, I asked the guy I know within the AD, how Jim will react to the boobirds in the offseason if he continued on with that recruiting philosophy here considering 80 percent of the fanbase would rather win the signing day title than a National Title. He laughed, and said Jim likes who he likes, recruiting rankings be damned.

You may as well get used to it. He marches to his own beat

Reactions: thedude96
This next guy supposedly who is going to commit....Terrell Lucas. I think he is more of a talented project but I haven't seen enough film on him. That being said...I like Enis, Evans, Johnson, Owenu. All look like fine potential Big Ten football players.

I prefer to trust a staff with a successful NFL/coaching background and for my own interests....film.

Reality Man

This next guy supposedly who is going to commit....Terrell Lucas. I think he is more of a talented project but I haven't seen enough film on him. That being said...I like Enis, Evans, Johnson, Owenu. All look like fine potential Big Ten football players.

I prefer to trust a staff with a successful NFL/coaching background and for my own interests....film.

Reality Man
Trust doesn't come easy when coaches take 2 and 3 star guys, certainly more likely with UOFM - considering top 15 class expectations.
But Harbaugh seems to have a trust that a Hoke, for example, would not have when sellecting "lesser" rated players.
Dantonio has already earned it at MSU. Maybe Harbaugh has already earned it too, considering Stanford.
Joe Bachie is a 2star LB. No complaints. We already assume he's the real deal. Jonah Morris is a 3 star Wr, but projected as an OLB. 6'4", 190, lots of speed. Sometimes, that's just how you recruit to match up vs the big dogs. The good/great coaches see a talent, visualize their potential at their actual next level position, redshirt, develop, and let them loose.
Just 2010 alone: Le' Veon Bell and Dennard were 2 stars. Drummond, Rush, Langford, Lippitt, and Mumphery were 3 stars. Any top 20 team could have had those guys.
IIRC, Dennard was scouted by accident while MSU was scouting Langford during a game. Just one of who knows how many potential major talents that slipped though the cracks. 2011 saw similar head scratchers. Just a few: 2 star Waynes, and 3 stars Calhoun, Allen, and Davis.
Bottom line, if your coach and staff can scout and develop at an elite level, just sit back and enjoy the ride. As you said, there are tons of excellent football players out there with high ceilings. I think we're on the same page, just different programs;)

Edit: Dennard found while scouting Mumphrey. That Bama talent pool. Yikes.

Last edited:
Works for me! :)
Of course, I'll take an Austin and/Or King any
I think Dantonio is a great coach...period. Great at development and evaluation. Great at motivation. Built a fabulous program at MSU.

Here is what a guy posted on Harbaugh...sounds a lot like Dantonio...thank goodness.

If anyone researched Harbaugh's recruiting at Standford, you would see nothing has.really changed but school colors. The guy recruits above average athletes that can compete and multiple positions and sorts in out on the field. Having already done the research, I asked the guy I know within the AD, how Jim will react to the boobirds in the offseason if he continued on with that recruiting philosophy here considering 80 percent of the fanbase would rather win the signing day title than a National Title. He laughed, and said Jim likes who he likes, recruiting rankings be damned.

You may as well get used to it. He marches to his own beat
But, of course, I'll take an Austin and/Or King any year :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT