ADVERTISEMENT

And this years National Champion is.....Providence...

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
go figure that one. Providence scores two goals in the third to defeat BU 4-3, winning their first ever National Championship.

That leaves clevelandcane standing all alone atop the standings of the Pick-Em contest as this years champion. You get bragging rights for at least the next year :)

Pick-Em Champion

Well...I think that goal needs to be credited to the BU goalie. What a way to lose a championship game. Nice to see pRovidence get their first title!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'd like to thank all the people in my life. Everyone who allowed me to ascend to these great heights.

Next year I'm going to pick Michigan to win it all... and they will be in the tourney.

Until next year, Go Blue!

Well - I guess horrible goalie gaffes don't just happen to us, eh?

I was actually surprised that BU got all the way to the championship game, notwithstanding all those high octane forwards - their goalie was an obvious weak link from the get-go.

And for the third year in a row - the national champ is the team that got in only because Michigan came up one win short . . . .

I should also say that for the second, maybe the third year in a row, 22-23-24 year old relatively pedestrian players trumped 18-19 year old NHL-bound talent.

Midway through the big ten champsionhsip Providence is out of the tourney!

The Providence coach should send thank you gifts to Red and Don Lucia because when UM was winning 2-1 in the second, Providence was technically out, then of course got the last at large when Minn came back to win.

As I said in a previous post, same thing happened in the ccha championship game when Michigan lost to ND and enabled Yale to get the last at large and Yale won the ncaa tourney as well.

Congrats to Providence though, was rooting for them yesterday.

Providence showed one thing that we should recognize- talent can be worn down with a good system. One that isn't too bothered with adversity. BU easily had more talent- but it was localized on a few lines- which did put a lot of pressure on- but didn't put up the massive numbers- just enough.

PC, on the other hand, didn't let BU getting ahead bother them. After going down 2-1 in 6 seconds, they could have let up, but didn't. Gillies was strong enough to make sure the team didn't give up after the second goal- both of which, I would have expected him to stop, BTW.

And when PC hung around- you could see the game tilt toward them. Once they got the fluke goal- it was all Providence. The game winner was not covered at all- as BU wasn't all there.

So, Michigan- you need to work on staying mentally in the game, for the whole thing. Don't have those 5 min of play where a bad goal for whatever reasons means 2 more quick ones that we have to come back from.

Lots can be learned from other teams.

Congrats Providence- we were very much rooting for you!

Gillies is the best goalie out there...and that matters. In a one and done scenario...all sorts of things can happen. A goal like that...is just a killer, and would have been remarkable for BU to recover from.

But, Michigan is much closer to a BU then a Providence...and always will be. Both ways can win it all but are taking different paths to get there.

Originally posted by Brockman26:
Gillies is the best goalie out there...and that matters. In a one and done scenario...all sorts of things can happen. A goal like that...is just a killer, and would have been remarkable for BU to recover from.

But, Michigan is much closer to a BU then a Providence...and always will be. Both ways can win it all but are taking different paths to get there.

I think my point is more the mental toughness- PC was able to deal with an onslaught. And two really quick goals. But they hung in there.

BU- when faced with the adversity of a bad goal- did not.

Great run in the tourney. Congrats to Providence on their first NC in hockey!

Completely agree Brockman26. Michigan had chances to win a couple of more games throughout the year and get into the tourney. Providence did what they needed to and got in. Congrats to them on their title.

Originally posted by alfadriver:
Originally posted by Brockman26:

I think my point is more the mental toughness- PC was able to deal with an onslaught. And two really quick goals. But they hung in there.

BU- when faced with the adversity of a bad goal- did not.
Good point, I agree with this for sure.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT