ADVERTISEMENT

...and once again we recruit another

tarun262

All-League
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2007
tall, clumsy, uncoordinated big guy (the legacy of Horford and Max B continues). Saw film on this new kid, can score against shorter kids but completely unathletic. Looks like he would be a 4-year bench player. Not sure why we don't get bigger/stronger guys (they don't have to be 5-stars Reality Man)!

I disagree and look at it a different way...

I think you will find my last few comments interesting. But first...

Davis looks like he has nice size. Definitely needs some development but looks a little more explosive than Doyle but not as refined. Looks like a contributor and a matchup player. I don't dislike him but he clearly isn't Mitch McGary. He isn't athletic as the recent guy who committed to Georgia recently.

Here we go...a couple of different ways to look at this offer/commitment...

1. Horford said it best. He was a man before his time. The JB system is a guard oriented system. JB isn't going to get overly athletic big men who want to pick n roll or just rebound. Why some fans still think JB is going to get a traditional low post athletic center is beyond me.

2. What does this offer tell you? He has Donnal/Doyle with Teske and Davis down the line. All guys with Big Ten size and allows JB to redshirt and develop the latter.

3. Key comment. It's a guard system. Look at the roster. Is Irvin going anywhere? I don't think he is going anwhere for a couple of years. How about Dawkins? He going anwhere? He is a sniper. How about Chatman or MAAR or Robinson. Wagner potentially.

The point I am making you ask? Other than pg...Williams?...this roster is pretty sound and deep for a couple of years. Where is a new guard/forward coming from to play at UM? JB doesn't get guys like Brown? It's not that type of program. Does JB need a shooting guard/forward any time soon?

Seriously? Does UM need shooters? It has Dawkins/Robinson (assumption) for at least 2 more years. Does it need 4's....Irvin and Wagner and Chatman? It really only needs a pg so where is the risk in trying to develop the 5 spot?

4. Can you have too many big guys going up against Wiscy or MSU (see Davis and Swanigan). Lots of fouls to give so I don't particulary see the problem.

If UM needed shooters then I would be very very critical of this offer/commitment. It's got guards and forwards coming out of it's a.. plus from what I hear Williams is on the way.

Here is the bottom line. People need to accept this program. It is what it is. I almost posted something on this a day or so ago (busy with taxes/work)....but JB and staff don't get McDonald All Americans....normally. It doesn't get big time centers...normally.

This isn't the UM program of the past. Do we as fans really want 1 or 2 and done guys? How did that work out after last year? Is this recruiting/evaluation system a bad way to go? UM is basically like Wiscy in recruiting except UM runs a perimeter offensive system and Wiscy runs a methodical system.

Reality Man

Reactions: clmitch
Unathletic bigs that can score 51 and grab 24 rebs as a 15 yr old are

getting hard to find.

it's going to be 3.5 years before his RS freshman season. I think he'll be OK by then.

Hey man did you really say explosion and Doyle/Davis in the same

sentence?

You are on to something about the system; it is what it is.

Suppose that is the reality........man.
This post was edited on 4/17 3:26 PM by DOTMAN

It is true that Davis looks more explosive than Doyle :)...which isn't

really saying something. I think you get my point and I get your point...it's all relative but Davis does look like a slightly better athlete than Doyle...sort of like Albrecht is a more explosive player than Dakich :).

Reality Man

He needs to finish these last 2 years, take a prep year and then a redshirt year. He will look entirely different by then.

As for UM's needs, I'd like to get a PG like Winston and another wing who can create off the bounce. That Kevin Huerter kid is intriguing.

I saw him play a couple of times this past year in the playoffs. My biggest concern is his listed height. He played against a couple of kids listed at 6'7" and 6'8" and they were all about the same height. Big difference if Davis is 6'8" or actually 6'10" like he's listed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT