ADVERTISEMENT

An early signing day in say Sept would alleviate Weber-like

detroitjohn

All-American
Dec 20, 2001
West Detroit
dramas. That one day in February has become a pressure cooker, has made a joke on both coaches and players side of the word "commitment", and encourages irrational and probably unethical behavior.

If anything, I think Weber should have signed after NSD, not before

What's the benefit to him of an early signing period? That just makes it even less likely that a recruit can move on to another school if his position coach/main recruiter takes a new job.

I think it takes the pressure off the situation...

I don't know what bball does for early signings, is there an opt-out option if a coach leaves?

Why would someone sign before the season starts?...

That would only benefit the school locking kids in before they fire coaches. It does absolutely nothing for the kid.

This post was edited on 2/6 1:48 PM by StillnotaToomer

Re: Why would someone sign before the season starts?...

Personally I have zero sympathy for Weber and glad he is not coming to Michigan. Any kid who wants to be the only RB in the class is a pre-madonna and likely going to be a cancer to the team culture. You have to embrace competition. As a kid I wish him well at OSU but I believe we dodged a bullet. My 2 cents.

Re: Why would someone sign before the season starts?...

Tarun, I agree with you 100%. The kids got skills and may end up being hugely successful wherever he goes. But even before the Drayton stuff came out, hearing him say that he was upset about Harbaugh bringing in another runningback, then that he only intended on being at school for 3 years, got me thinking.

And whole I understand his shock right now, making his displeasure so public is a major red flag. What happens if he isn't getting what he thinks is enough playing time next year of the one after that?

I wouldn't be upset if OSU offers him a release of his scholarship. I'd be ok if he stayed too. But time will tell if that is good or bad.

Re: Valid arguments*

i think an early signing period could be worked into the recruting process by just not taking verbal commits. make it simple if a athelete is positive where he wants to go and doesnt want to take all his officials and wants to shut down recruiting let him sign and end it.

these kids now are giving verbals but then continue to take visits, why? if you want to take all your visits, fine. but dont commit then decommit , then commit again, its a joke now. all coaches know commiting means nothing so nothing is honored anymore. most of these kids early on know where they want to go, but use the process to generate interest from as many schools as possible. so basically wasting everbodys time.

Re: Valid arguments*

No matter when you have a signing period coach's change every day. Notre Dame just lost there running backs coach today. For the record two days after NSD.

While I agree with your post, I'm not sure what Madonna has to do

with the situation. There was good music both Pre- and Post-Madonna, but that's an entirely different thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT