ADVERTISEMENT

A.A. Aerial Assault, JH launches aggressive QB camp

ArrowheadBlue

Heisman
May 29, 2001
If you thought Jim Harbaugh's satellite camp ambitions were lofty …

… Michigan on Wednesday released information on a unique quarterback camp next month. It's being called “Ann Arbor's Aerial Assault,” and will be capped at 300 registrants.

There should be no problem filling that number. The instructors include Colin Kaepernick, Jay Cutler, former Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson and No. 1 draft choice Jameis Winston, along with quarterback guru George Whitfield.

A formal media release with more information is expected next week. The camp will be June 20 at Michigan.

“I don't' think it's ever been done before,” said a person close to the process at Michigan. “I don't know anywhere people would go to. I think it would be an awesome opportunity.”

The camp is at least good recruiting news for Harbaugh who, along with quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch, cashed in on their myriad quarterback contacts to assemble the instructors. Both are hurrying to stock the Michigan pipeline with quarterbacks. As it stands, by the beginning of the 2016 season – barring any changes – Michigan should have at least five scholarship quarterbacks.

“That should get the pipeline back,” that same person said of the camp. “No one's ever had the ties to get the guys [we have].”

Not bad when you have this year's No. 1 draft choice (Winston) and a former Super Bowl quarterback (Kaepernick).

Six former Michigan quarterbacks will appear at the camp including Robinson, Elvis Grbac and John Navarre. Also expected to appear are recent Rams' draftee Sean Mannion and retired former first-round pick of the Ravens Kyle Boller.

Harbaugh is certainly trying to make himself the "Coach for College QBs who want to play in the NFL" it's a smart strategy given his experience. I don't know if it will give the results he's looking for (and I hope it doesn't), but I'd be surprised if his efforts here didn't pay off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT